• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Custom Suiting Toronto

induere_to

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Sydney's MTM or Bespoke offerings? I couldn't really find any client pictures of his end products but his pictures look pretty good. Was looking for something in the sub $2,500 price range which he seemed to fall into.

Any alternatives would be much appreciated too!
If $2,500 is your cap, you can already afford much better products. It won’t even be labeled ‘contemporary’ or ‘modern’ anything.

I don’t have much of an opinion on Sydney’s, I’m not too familiar with their company. What I do know is that when they approached me to offer me a job, they ended up turning me down saying my classic standards were not what the company was looking for. From what I have been told, Sydney’s has developed a house cut pattern with Coppley. Sounds pretty cool except that Coppley has such a lousy reputation regarding quality. I just did alterations on a Coppley suit last week and had to wash my hands afterwards.

Looking on their website, regarding suits under their own label, it says ‘made locally … in Montreal’ which I thought was a little funny. But, all jokes aside, Montreal does have many factories, some are okay but the majority of them fall short of mediocrity.

It doesn’t bother me if you like short jackets and tight pants, a lot of people in Toronto don’t care to have to replace clothes they spend over $1,500 on. So my critique is merely directed towards the product and service itself.

Bersabee

Reaction score
If $2,500 is your cap, you can already afford much better products. It won’t even be labeled ‘contemporary’ or ‘modern’ anything.
Are there places any you suggest in my price range? I've looked into John Ferrigamo and Davido Afnani but couldn't get a clear idea of their pricing.

pablum

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing the pieces! More options to learn about in Toronto the better
All items in this photo were made by Isaac:

20210921_101509_2.jpg

Top L to R: charcoal herringbone wool balmacaan, royal blue wool 2-piece suit, Carlo Barbera cashmere PoW sport coat, light blue linen button-down, mid denim button-down, dark denim button-down, royal blue linen button-down, dark grey brushed cotton button-down, blue stripe cotton button-down, blue cotton button-down

Bottom L to R: white m2m polo, W.Bill navy linen safari, W. Bill cream linen trousers, khaki light-cotton trousers, cocoa light-cotton trousers, Scabal brown corduroy trousers, mid grey flannel trousers

Waiting on a Loro Piana navy wool safari, Loro Piana charcoal flannel trousers, and a Thomas Mason cashmere/cotton ecru button-down.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic and bad lighting, but I'm happy to provide detailed images if requested.

His prices reflect the quality of the fabrics and handwork, but like most bespoke tailors he does offer different tiers depending on the fabric and amount of handwork involved. He also has relationships with various suppliers to provide M2M polos, cashmere sweaters, and accessories (socks, ties, shoes, pocket squares, etc.).

The great thing about Isaac is he is able to provide a myriad of possibilities. When I see him we spend hours going through fabrics and discussing gaps in my wardrobe. I firmly believe in having a tailor that is physically close to you for accessibility and to eliminate extra travelling costs.

At this point in our relationship he has nailed the fit and understands what I value stylistically - I can call him up requesting a type of garment in a particular fabric and he will let me know when it's ready.

Hope that helps with your decision. Please let me know if you'd like further info.

Last edited:

Bersabee

Reaction score
Top L to R: charcoal herringbone wool balmacaan, royal blue wool 2-piece suit, Carlo Barbera cashmere PoW sport coat, light blue linen button-down, mid denim button-down, dark denim button-down, royal blue linen button-down, dark grey brushed cotton button-down, blue stripe cotton button-down, blue cotton button-down
The Carlo Barbera sport coat is so nice. Does he have a house cut? And if you don't mind providing, what was the price range of his services?

pablum

Reaction score
The Carlo Barbera sport coat is so nice. Does he have a house cut? And if you don't mind providing, what was the price range of his services?
Thank you. In terms of a house cut I'd say no. His client base led him to a very british cut, but as times and preferences progressed, he has adopted some Neapolitan characteristics.

IMO this is one of the most compelling reasons to use his services - he has the knowledge and expertise to cut both formal and relaxed, but he designs the pieces with your body and circumstances in mind. In Canada (let alone Toronto) there is a lack of tailors operating at his level, it would benefit you if your tailor is able to offer a wide range of styles. This also allows you to stick with one tailor longer, which allows the tailor and you to get the fit just the way you want.

As I mentioned the pricing depends on the fabric and level of handwork, but a 2 piece suit is likely to start in the 2-3k CAD range.

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there places any you suggest in my price range? I've looked into John Ferrigamo and Davido Afnani but couldn't get a clear idea of their pricing.
Harry Rosen on Bloor is having a bespoke promo until the end of the month. Starts as low as $2631 (depends on fabric).

I've seen their samples, and they look nice.

Bersabee

Reaction score
Harry Rosen on Bloor is having a bespoke promo until the end of the month. Starts as low as $2631 (depends on fabric).

I've seen their samples, and they look nice.
I've generally had bad experiences with them but I'll try to swing by this weekend to have a look.

induere_to

Reaction score
Are we implying that Isaac Ely is a bespoke tailor? Or just made to measure?

I’ve seen his website. It says he offers bespoke, but I’ve heard otherwise.

Have you ever seen him draft a pattern or sew anything whether by hand or by machine?

Honestly curious.

Also, Harry Rosen just lost one of their head tailors, I’d be interested to see how things turn out going forward.

Jamesbond1

Reaction score
Are you looking for a store front ? Does it have to be a store front ? If not you’re talking to the best man who can make you a suit.
Bespoke is loosely used in Toronto just be aware of that. Good luck!

Bersabee

Reaction score
Are you looking for a store front ? Does it have to be a store front ? If not you’re talking to the best man who can make you a suit.
Bespoke is loosely used in Toronto just be aware of that. Good luck!
Has he made you anything?

No, not specifically - I'm just trying to do some due diligence prior to making a decision. I just moved to the area and am unfamiliar with all the offerings.

pablum

Reaction score
Are we implying that Isaac Ely is a bespoke tailor? Or just made to measure?

I’ve seen his website. It says he offers bespoke, but I’ve heard otherwise.

Have you ever seen him draft a pattern or sew anything whether by hand or by machine?
I have seen my pattern, I've had muslin fittings, and basted fittings before final fittings. Isaac is the only one that has ever measured me and the only person I deal with when I go to his location. I have not witnessed him drafting a pattern or stitch himself. I know for the latter he has a team that performs much of the stitching. Regarding my pattern I've seen him make adjustments to the pattern.

So, if you define bespoke as one person involved from start to finish, then Isaac wouldn't qualify. If you define bespoke as an original individual pattern then he qualifies.

For me I don't care how many hands touch it, as long as the quality is maintained throughout the chain and the fit is impeccable.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.