• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Suiting Toronto

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will also limit my comments to the shops I have experience with.

Llyod locates in FCP and do a lot of groupon orders I think. ~600 CAD for a suit + shirt I recall. I did one 2 or 3 years ago, they took measurement here and sent it back to HK.

Pretty similar with Indochino but I believe their factory locates in Shanghai.

Would not recommend both if you are really interested in Classic Menswear, I see it more like MTO to be honestly, don't think you have a lot of control of the pattern/ style, it's pretty much like buying a RTW and tailor it.

Xavier: I used to bring my tuxedo to him to adjust. to be honestly, I don't think he's doing it right, I had to bring it to another tailor to adjust it again.

Jean Paul: He did quite a lot of tailoring for me, overall happy with the experience, he will give you good advice in terms of what/ how to adjust, but he is not the one who did the adjustment. The handwork is fine (I would say his button holes are not as good as Tower's), not sure if he still takes new customer but do take new orders from existing customers.

Tower: Had him tailored some of my jackets, also commissioned a pair of trousers with him. His handwork is great, in fact his button holes are one of the best I have seen. He fixed the tuxedo I mentioned earlier. The trousers on the other hand is a disaster for me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I book a section with Pino Peluso (through Marol) in late March/ early April. targeting a 2-piece, but could potentially go for a sport jacket + a pair of trousers. His house style is a bit traditional in my view, I don't like his lapels. However he made a couple "Modern Napolian style?" jackets for Bo (Owner of Marol) and I actually like them, in fact most of his jackets fit me pretty well.

Anyway, looking forward to it and will update.

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting to hear that Munro has such a remake rate. Have you examined Munro garments in-person, yourself?

I am apprehensive of brands that claim to be bespoke when they're not. King & Bay, as you've mentioned, seems to be one of those brands. I like truth and transparency. Don't try to sell something that you're not. Plus, scrolling through their IG makes me feel like I'm looking at a bunch of frat students.

Not MTM related, but Munro is made by the same factory as SuitSupply stuff.

konix

Reaction score
Limiting my comments to the shops I have experience with.

- Garrison Bespoke -- They work off patterns for their MTM with minimal adjustments. I was able to change the lapel width and button stance but when I asked for adjustments to the gorge height and lapel curve I got a no. For the trousers I asked if I could do a wider waistband with cinch back and they said no, wouldn't change the rise of the pants either so I ended up with side tabs on a pair of medium rise pants. When I asked for bespoke, they quoted me double what the price of MTM was.

- Dirty Inc -- Sox had a boxing day deal where whatever you spend on your first commission he'll give you a 50% credit towards your next purchase. Ended up going with 3 shirts and with the credit I commissioned a pair of trousers. I received the trousers within a month but the shirts ended up taking about 6 months because there was a fire at the factory. The trousers fit great and despite the delay the shirts fit great too.

- My King and Bay -- I've only done a consultation with them. They explain what they do is called MTM+ which is that they work off a pattern, but you'll be able to make adjustments.

- Spier & Mackay -- Bought OTR and MTM off them. Love how the MTM program doesn't work off a pattern so I can pretty much do whatever I want. Case in point, I have a pair of trousers with double pleats, 2" waistband, extended closure, and a coin pocket in Harris Tweed. I have 4 MTM jackets from them and they are by far the best fitting jackets I own and most worn. Tim (@induere_to ) has a great sense of style as and long as he's at S&M I can't imagine I'll go anywhere else for MTM in Toronto.

- Ian (Tower Bespoke) -- I've only gone to him for alterations, does great work and his turnaround for alterations is fast. Yes, his workshop is messy.

Last edited:

KWang94

Reaction score
I also had experience with Llyod and Indochino.

Llyod locates in FCP and do a lot of groupon orders I think. ~600 CAD for a suit + shirt I recall. I did one 2 or 3 years ago, they took measurement here and sent it back to HK.

Pretty similar with Indochino but I believe their factory locates in Shanghai.

Would not recommend both if you are really interested in Classic Menswear, I see it more like MTO to be honestly, don't think you have a lot of control of the pattern/ style, it's pretty much like buying a RTW and tailor it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I book a section with Pino Peluso (through Marol) in late March/ early April. targeting a 2-piece, but could potentially go for a sport jacket + a pair of trousers. His house style is a bit traditional in my view, I don't like his lapels. However he made a couple "Modern Napolian style?" jackets for Bo (Owner of Marol) and I actually like them, in fact most of his jackets fit me pretty well.

Anyway, looking forward to it and will update.

Saw Groupons for Lloyd "Bespoke". 100% definitely not bespoke. Started by a dude one year older than me who went to Queen's Commerce. Hearing people misappropriate the term "bespoke" genuinely gets on my nerves.

Keep us posted on Peluso, though!! I would love to get something made by him one day.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw Groupons for Lloyd "Bespoke". 100% definitely not bespoke. Started by a dude one year older than me who went to Queen's Commerce. Hearing people misappropriate the term "bespoke" genuinely gets on my nerves.

Keep us posted on Peluso, though!! I would love to get something made by him one day.

Made some updates to include more.

As a friend of Bo, I would suggest you to book an appointment with him. He's a nice person, not the kind of guy who tries to do as less adjustment as possible (based on my experience of one Marol shirt and one pair of Enzo Bonafe.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
- Spier & Mackay -- Bought OTR and MTM off them. Love how the MTM program doesn't work off a pattern so I can pretty much do whatever I want. Case in point, I have a pair of trousers with double pleats, 2" waistband, extended closure, and a coin pocket in Harris Tweed. I have 4 MTM jackets from them and they are by far the best fitting jackets I own and most worn. Tim (@induere_to ) has a great sense of style as and long as he's at S&M I can't imagine I'll go anywhere else for MTM in Toronto.

It's not an easy program to set into place. It's not easy to find a partner who is willing to work from scratch because of the extra time and effort involved. But we insisted on it as the resulting flexibility yields more customization and a better fit than most MTM programs. We would slot the idea in somewhere between MTM and Bespoke. Better than MTM, but not quite Bespoke. You are right when you said it was dependent on the factory. The factory we currently use is by far the best, in both execution and finishing. Of course it all starts with accurate base measurements and our guys are really great at taking those measurements.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not an easy program to set into place. It's not easy to find a partner who is willing to work from scratch because of the extra time and effort involved. But we insisted on it as the resulting flexibility yields more customization and a better fit than most MTM programs. We would slot the idea in somewhere between MTM and Bespoke. Better than MTM, but not quite Bespoke. You are right when you said it was dependent on the factory. The factory we currently use is by far the best, in both execution and finishing. Of course it all starts with accurate base measurements and our guys are really great at taking those measurements.

come to NYC, pleaaaassssssseeee

Triekki

Reaction score
Hey guys I’m new to the forum but have used it as a guest for a while and gotten a lot of useful info from you guys.
I can give some insight into the Munro program at Harry Rosen. There’s surprisingly little info on it online. I used them for my wedding tux last year and it was my first MTM item so I don’t have anything to compare it to. I did meet with Garrison as well but decided to go with HR.

I had a tuxedo shirt and the tux made. There was a promo so I got them both for around 1150 plus tax. Overall I was quite happy with the items and the service from my SA was really good (he gave me his cell number and would answer questions at all times of the day/night). I’ve since talked to SuitSupply about their MTM tuxes and it sounds very similar with respect to materials and price (both are half canvassed). Makes sense if they are both through Munro. I can’t remember all the specifics of what could be customized but I got a midnight blue tux, single button, double vents with peak lapels, jetted pockets, silk satin facings with a matching single galon. The tux was a worsted wool. The only thing I was upset with was the lining which was polyester (their suits have viscose or bemberg so I was surprised there).

I’ll post a pic below. The colour looks lighter because it’s day light in the summer and it’s much darker in a proper black tie lighting (I know a tux shouldn’t be worn during the day but I preferred it over a stroller suit and our ceremony/reception continued into the night). Also, I had our flower person prepare a single flower for a boutineer but in all the planning I forgot to cut my button hole so I got the large pin on boutineer in the end.

7F0A18F3-9698-4570-B513-65EFC98AFBB8.jpeg

Last edited:

hrv123

Reaction score
With respect to alterations, I’ve had many a garment ruined by tailors in Toronto and the GTA. I had success previously with Antonio in Yorkville as he wasn’t trying to push me into altering clothes a size too small. He could at least appreciate a more classic silhouette. Unfortunately he doesn’t seem to be working any more and the guy that replaced him is obsessed with a tight fit on everything. I’ve tried Xavier as well with an Eidos jacket and suit. He couldn’t wrap his head around a half lined unstructured jacket. Ruined my Solaro suit. All of the other guys I’ve tried wouldn’t rest until my jackets were pulling in all different directions. I even had a tailor tell me that if clothes were comfortable, that meant they weren’t fitted properly. This is after I complained about the fact that the pants I had him take in a waist at the waist an inch had horrible pocket flare and I couldn’t sit down without contorting my body in different directions.

Might have to give Ian a try or just take my stuff to the Spier and Mackay downtown showroom. Have a bunch of S&M and non-S&M stuff I have been hesitant to tailor for fear of ruining it.

induere_to

Reaction score
I have a client that keeps bringing me garments from London Bespoke Club asking me to critique the fit. Normally, I don’t like doing this, I’d hate it if one of my clients brought something I made them elsewhere to get critiqued. Genuinely curious as to why it doesn’t fit properly, I decided I’d help point out several flaws that I see and told him to go back to see if maybe he can get them to fix it.

Quality wise, the work seemed okay, nothing really stood out as being poorly constructed, but I also didn’t rip out the lining to dive into its construction. They seem to have a big clientele, not as big as Garrison or King and Bay, but I’ve met several people that have gone to them in the past. StyleForum is a huge minority of suiting customers in Toronto, I’d probably estimate even 0.5%, so I’d be skeptical to hear someone’s first person experience here on this forum.

It started out as an interest in execution, but after this guy’s constant battles, I’ve been curious to dive deeper into what an appointment is like with them and how they go about their fittings. One of the guys seems to have a good reputation as I’ve heard great things; so I’m curious to know his background in the industry (not that it matters... I’m pretty much purely self-taught, but it would give an idea of his perspective). If anyone can chime in, I’d love to know more.

Again, every day I want to be better than I was before so my only goal is to learn from peoples successes and mistakes; not to spread gossip.

rhb57

Reaction score
So I currently have my Garrison Bespoke suit, and my John Ferrigamo suit is still being made. Here are the differences I have noticed so far.

Garrison Bespoke:
Garrison Bespoke does muslin fittings on their custom suits. They have a wide variety of fabrics to choose from and I chose a Dormeuil Amadeus light navy fabric. It's a gorgeous fabric but maybe a bit delicate for my needs. The fit of the suit is very nice and trim, but could potentially be a bit snug at times. However, the cut of the suit is great and modern and the tailor was very focused on what I was going for. A nice added touch was a wonderfully hand-sewn Milanese buttonhole.

John Ferrigamo:
John Ferrigamo does basted fittings on their custom suits. Their custom suits are cut off of five different patterns. They have a wide variety of fabrics as well and I chose a Holland & Sherry charcoal fabric from their durable line. John Ferrigamo is a little more conservative in the style of the suit, but still does very trim suits. Their specialty seems to be big peak lapels, and their signature is doing buttonholes on both lapels. John Ferrigamo did hand-sewn stitching and buttonholes for my suit.
Did you choose MTM or full bespoke at Garrison? It seems their MTM is based on muslin fit but they do offer basted fitting but that's something called hand-made bespoke.
There is also a 1k difference between MTM and bespoke there.

KWang94

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics