1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Custom Suiting Toronto

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TOstyle, May 8, 2014.

1. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

2. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

Hey borbor -- if you don't mind me asking, where are you getting seasonal fabrics at a good enough price you can go in for just CMT?

3. borbor

borbor Senior member

@TOstyle some i got off ebay, some i bought during my travels.

4. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

Gotcha. In the market for some myself. Ebay I've always been leery of but...now that I say that it sounds very 1991 of me. About time I took another look.

5. spiermackay

spiermackay Senior member Affiliate Vendor

There is a shop near Dufferin and Lawrence that carries a bunch of shirt and suit fabrics from Italy. They supply Rosen's and Holts MTM Shirt fabrics and have a decent but limited selection of suit fabrics. They pick up a bunch of end of season and seconds. Can't remember the name off the top of my head but once I remember I'll chime back in. I think they sell to the public as well.

6. borbor

borbor Senior member

@spiermackay you talking about Sultan's?

7. spiermackay

spiermackay Senior member Affiliate Vendor

That's the name. Yes. I knew it started with an S. Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  8. LEVOOSH

LEVOOSH Senior member

I go to Sultan's often to pick stuff up. Shirting is really great. Problem with jacketing and suiting is that much does not have selvedge and it is sometimes not clear what you are getting. That begin said, pricing can be pretty good and occasionally a grail find can be made.

9. borbor

borbor Senior member

we talking LP cash grail or vicuna grail :D

10. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Phew, ok so just did a few hours of research online and through old SF threads too. Here's my list of MTM, bespoke, and general tailors... hope it helps:

Trend Custom Tailors (Don Lee) - 306 Sherbourne Street (Sherbourne & Gerrard) - comes up a lot. Pros it's full bespoke. Cons its expensive and Don may be hard to work with (an 'artist').
    Fifth on King / Garrison Bespoke - 26 Wellington Street East #101 - Hong Kong, Michael's the man. Pros it's clean modern client focused and reasonably priced. Cons it may be too slick and modern for some and the manufacturing is done in Asia though all fittings done here locally. See review thread below.
    Stavros - right in yorkville. I've met these guys. No doubt they make a good suit, but it starts around $3500 and I'm not sure but I think they outsource the work anyway.
    Walter Beauchamp - One of Toronto's oldest stores I believe. Haven't seen any pictures or heard anything about them, other than they apparently do real bespoke.
    Caruso Fine Tailors - seems to come up several times. Not sure if it's bots/shills plugging the place. No info/reviews that I've seen but might be worth investigating.
    Nazzareno at Sartoria Raffa and Franceso Sr. Bespoke (89 Bloor West) and Espinosa Master Tailor- comments section from terrible blogto article. Apparently both these guys were where Harrys/Holts sent work to etc...
    Isaac Ely ($3K+) - blogTO article. No idea what they're all about. Also pretty off the beaten track location-wise.
    Spiros - avoid avoid avoid, seems to have bad reviews

Reviews - http://www.styleforum.net/t/104594/opinion-needed-on-mtm-in-toronto

Tailoring:
    Casual
    Studio Kim - (King Street West and Niagara)
    Nikos (Cumberland)
    Sydney’s (does MTM + tailoring (rarely other stores clothes) – maybe sends out to Studio Kim)
    Magic Tailor (opposite Eaton’s Center). Mixed reviews…

Formal:
    Xavier Custom Tailors - 10 St Mary (Yonge and South of Charles)
    House of Salgado - 66 Wellington Street West, (inside downstairs)
    Walter Beauchamp - 145 Wellington Street West
    Trini says - Antonio's in the Colonnade on Bloor does excellent work.
    Doxe says - Bulloch Tailors on Colborne St (yonge b/w wellington and king)

1 person likes this.
  11. Suit of Nettles

Suit of Nettles Senior member

Excellent lit. review, MC.

I had some... questionable experiences with Studio Kim's alterations. Nothing totally disastrous, just overpriced and a long time in waiting for not terribly brilliant results.

Mehmet at Magic Tailor does solid work, but, again, I only know him from alterations, and he has *very* definite and classical ideas about what's what.

Salgado makes lovely shirts.

The best value you'll find, outside of the inherent and unimpeachable value of true bespoke tailoring (which is a bargain at any price, provided you can afford it), is in Samuelsohn MTM through a shop with a good alterations tailor who can tweak the fit on arrival.

1 person likes this.
  12. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

Whew, that's a fulsome review. Much obliged MC. Took me a while to go through everything. One question - why the breakdown with MTM and formal? Wouldn't all the MTM places be able to do formal suiting? Are you saying the "Formal" places would specialize in tux's or tail's?

In the meantime I had been to Spiros. I would have to agree with your assessment. I walked in pretty excited, asked a few questions and quickly got the impression that he really didn't want me to be there. Reeaaally awkward, and I got the sense that it would be really old school. So I walked out, and I think Spiros was happy for that.

I have had a bunch of stuff done by Trend, and while Don is really nice, quality control is really poor. He has managed to do something substantive wrong every time, which isn't easily fixable afterwards (like making a structured jacket instead of unstructured, wrong pockets on the pants etc.), so while I have no hard feelings, it would be great if I didn't have to deal with it.

Plan of attack is going to be Walter B, though I fear too old school, and then Nazzareno (since I know nothing about them).

Unrelated-related, I've got a bunch of old shirts that are still good, but which I don't wear any more (my MTM shirts fit much better). Thomas Pink's and Boss mainly. I've never tried to sell or list things on SF - is it worthwhile doing so? General demand for this sort of product (good condition, size 15 (US))?

13. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

Also, just thought of something else. Does anyone know what happened to Green Shag? I had gotten a couple of things at their shop, and walked by last week, but see that another store is in their old space.

14. Master-Classter

nah nothing that complicated. by 'tailoring' I meant alterations. by casual I meant SW&D like jeans, khakies, and by 'formal' I meant MC so business clothing.

first section is MTM and bespoke tailors. second section is for tailoring stuff once it's been made or OTR

also just a caveat, I haven't used any of these places myself and have at best maybe had a few casual conversations with some of these guys, but the list and comments are based on having read a LOT of internet chatter, so it's the overall consistent patterns. If there were a few posts saying it was great I'm more likely to say it's worth going and talking to them, and shouldn't be taken as an endorsement, whereas if I saw even a few negative reviews I was much more likely to give the tailor a lower credit. Of course online 'review' and comments tend to have a self-selection bias, usually negative, but it's money so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  15. Suit of Nettles

Suit of Nettles Senior member

16. Master-Classter

I will say that I've seen mixed reviews about Spiros. I guess it depends on what style you prefer both in terms of suit and relationship. Works for some, not for others. So my assessment shouldn't be taken as a negative review of them, just a larger than normal warning to do more diligence before committing with them.

also forgot off the list, Harry Rosen's themselves. I had assumed they only did MTM through their various vendors but looks like they have their own bespoke operation.

17. linds_15

linds_15 Senior member

anyone know of any good places to get a ripped pair of pants fixed? its not on the seam so i was hoping maybe someone knew of an invisible mending or re-weaving place that could get the pants back up to snuff.

thanks!

18. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

I've been to Harry Rosen and Garrison.

If you want something simply the Samuelsson MTM program is actually quite good. The fabrics are excellent and the pricing is very reasonable. Garrison offers a nice step up. I have two Bespoke suits from there and they turned out great. I'm not too flashy, but they have a huge selection of fabrics that can even make more basics stand out. Would recommend, but it's pricey.

19. linds_15

linds_15 Senior member

anyone know where to get pants reweaved in toronto?

thanks

20. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

Hey akoustas - I was just going to head into Garrison this weekend to check it out any maybe get something. Do you know the general price range for VBC and Dormeuil by change?

And linds_15 - I don't know of anywhere in Toronto that does reweaving, but the French American Re-Weaving Co. in NYC (on 57th St.) works absolute miracles. Honestly it's amazing what they manage to fix. That might not be too helpful to you, though I can speak highly of them, and if it is something you value that you really want fixed (and obviously aren't wearing now since it's ripped) it could be worth combined with a vacation and dropping of there, as I think they will gladly mail you the re-worked product.