Custom suit scene

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MilanoStyle, Mar 7, 2005.

1. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

I spent chunk of my Saturday afternoon with custom tailors. None of them really convinced me to do a bespoke suit. One old italian tailor whom I met actually was making some nice suits. But his price was high and for that price, I would do Kiton MTM. I met few really young tailors; they were more interested in expressing their creativity on their cloth than older tailors. After I met these young bespoke tailors, I was thinking that if these guys can do it, why not I? So, my quest to becoming bespoke tailor officially begun [​IMG] Wish me luck fellas.

2. sashae

sashae Senior member

How much sewing/cutting experience do you have in general? How did you teach yourself?

-s

3. MilanoStyle

sewing and cutting experience? none.
    how am i going to teach myself? books

now .. are you laughing yet?

but i do have artistic skills and I have dedication.
    And most importantly .. I think this is my passion right now (I honestly think more about suits than girls these days ..)
    not about the money .. not about fame .. I want to make best quality and fitted suit.

4. Alias

Alias Senior member

You're in for a long and grueling education.

I wish I could be a tailor, but I doubt I have the patience for it. If I ever ran into a customer like myself, I'd throw him out the door.

5. sashae

sashae Senior member

Not at all. I think it's admirable that you're going out and trying to learn something that requires work with the hands. So many of us in this day and age solely rely on our minds for our professions, so having a manual skill is much more rare.

I think that's a large part in why many of us are fans of handmade clothing, mechanical watches, and the like -- the handwork involved.

Best of luck.

6. MilanoStyle

Once .. I was up for 42 hrs straight to trying to figure out what was wrong with my Scheme code. That was grueling experience indeed. But this one .. I can go with my own pace [​IMG]

7. fkl118

fkl118 Senior member

Let me know when you will be accepting new customers. [​IMG]

8. tdial

tdial Senior member

I would suggest trying to intern at a bespoke tailor's shop on weekends. You could just tell him/her that you're interested in immersing yourself in his/her trade and want to learn everything you can. You can still keep your bill paying job, while learning. Eventually, you may learn enough to make a go of it as a profession.

Good luck.

9. WhysGuy

WhysGuy Member

MilanoStyle, I wish you the best of luck. What type of occupation are you leaving to become a bespoke tailor?

10. trogdor

trogdor Senior member

Good luck. My dad always used to say (about automobiles), if something is that important to you, you ought to be able to fix it yourself. Automobile enthusiasts sometimes go ahead an build their own machines, so why not do the same with clothes. If you need someone on whom to "practice," then give me a shout.

11. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

Good luck and have fun Milano. And if you ever need a fitting model, I'm only a PM away...

A.

12. MilanoStyle

i'm a senior systems analyst.

13. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

That is a good thing to take up, Milano. I was considering doing something similar myself, just because I'm becoming so damn interested in tailoring, and I know nothing about it. When I say that I am considering it, I just mean some apprenticing from a master-ish tailor or some sort of decent education on suitcrafting. I would be into a career in that field if I am decent enough at it.