• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Suit Options NYC

pfr0g

Reaction score
I have decided to get a custom suit for my June 9th wedding after I failed to find an RTW that fit my needs and budget. I came close to getting an Attolini at discount, but the drop 7 and no money back policy scared my slightly overweight a$$.

The suit jacket will be used as part of a Stroller for the daytime wedding. My budget is $800-1800. The wide gap is to account for choices in fabric and maker. I am looking for some advice on were to go. Searching these forums I have found some viable options.

LS Mens Clothing- How is the quality if H. Freeman? Is there any handwork? I believe that is who they use? Prices are around 800 and start at 1100 for the better fabrics. Another custom clothier I use, Victor Talbot's, offers the H. Freeman but costs a bit more 1400.

W.W. Chan is going to be in NYC March 5th-7th. Is this enough time to get a suit ready for end of April? This may be very risky if the suit is not ready and delivered. I believe that it falls within my budget 1000-1800. It seems like a better option to me over the H. Freeman if they can have a 2 month turn around.

Mr Ned- How does the quality compare to W.W. Chan? I see from the forums that it is an American cut? I am looking for more of a Neapolitan style cut and roped shoulders. Are his suits completely machine made?

La Rukico- Similar to Mr Ned?

Other Options-

What other tailors in NYC are within my price range? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Mens Clothing Store where I get my Borrelli Shirts/Ties at a good discount has MTM clothing. They offer Oxxford, Belvest, and some house brand that is made in Canada. They may require my consulting services to re-do their point-of-sale system and server/database. As part of my payment I could get a free Belvest suit. How is the MTM Belvest? This is also a long shot because the potential engagement is still in the begging stages and it could be months before he pulls the trigger and contracts me to do work, but it is an option. I think the salesperson mentioned MTM from belvest was 2500+ which is more then I am willing to spend.

RTW- Continue to look for an RTW suit although this has proved very difficult because of what I am looking for. To get the quality I need to shop online and return policy is important. Normally I would not care if a suit did not fit and I got store credit to get something else but in this particular case I need the suit to be dark charcoal. This makes returns very difficult. Local B&M discount stores seemed to be filled with Hickey Freeman and Hugo Boss and every search ends in a dead end. Although I did find a Borrelli in Charcoal Grey for 400 bucks but it was 38s
frown.gif

Sorry for the long post but this has been plaguing my thoughts for months and I need help. Thanks to some very helpful SF members (Thanks Sator!!) I have made it this far and just need a bit more direction and I will be home free. Thanks in advance for your help SF.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am somewhat confused as to what you are looking for.

If you want a Neoplitan cut, then you buy a Neopolitan suit made in Naples.
I would not ask. Mr. Ned or LS to make that sort of garment. By the way, Ned's suit has hand work.

I get the idea that you want a charcoal grey suit and will wear striped trousers for the wedding?

I think you are over thinking this.

How big is your a$$. Meaning most suits have enough outlets to accomadate larger demensions.

Carl

pfr0g

Reaction score
I am looking for the best options on getting a MTM suit in NYC given my budget.

My a$$ is not big at all but a 54 drop 7 on the Attolini pants may be to tight for me and with no money back option it is too big of a risk for me. I dont think I am overthinking a potential $1,600+ purchase.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Because fit is of primary importance, I would wait on WW Chan. From what I've seen here, the fit on your first order is not going to be great. It takes a few orders, but that's not what you're after. With Mr. Ned, you'd get the benefit of multiple fittings. I used Mr. Ned for a jacket, had three or four fittings and am relatively pleased with it. You can go to Tip Top Fabrics in Brooklyn and get a decent suit made with excellent material for $1000.

One of these days I'll get around to posting a longer review of the jacket.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My question is this. If you really want a neopolitan suit then that is what you get. Ask the seller what sort of outlets are inside the pants.

The suits from Ned and the other tailors you mentioned are going to be different.

I did not mean to insult your a$$.

Carl

pfr0g

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
My question is this. If you really want a neopolitan suit then that is what you get. Ask the seller what sort of outlets are inside the pants.

The suits from Ned and the other tailors you mentioned are going to be different.

I did not mean to insult your a$$.

Carl

Ha ha, no insult taken. You will get to see my a$$ soon enough as I plan to come get some shirts from you within the next few months.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
I am trying to work on something with the seller because I really LOVE
inlove.gif
the jacket, its a killer suit. I think anything else is just going to be a disappointment. I really do want a Neapolitan suit.

JG000

Reaction score
I'd think there'd be no shortage.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Candie Giuseppe
Giuseppe's Custom Clothiers is a great place to go. They have a flagship store in Long Island but do office calls and house calls. The lead time is about 4 weeks and the quality and final product is amazing. If for any reason you aren't happy, they have the in-house tailor in the Long Island location do some final alterations. They also provide a lifetime warranty if anything goes wrong with their product.
www.gccmens.com

If that is you in the avatar, sign me up for a lot of product and a lot of fittings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads