• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Suit Options in Atlanta

skyscraper

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody has a good source for decent, quality,"value-priced" suits in the Atlanta area. I have tried TJ and thought they were expensive for the product.

Has anybody had any experience with The Custom Suit Shop? They seem to be along the lines of TJs with better pricing.

How about Rochester or Nordstroms custom suit programs?

Looking for a good quality, durable, sharp, but not a "look at me" suit......at a price that reflects that.

I definitely cannot buy OTR due to my stature.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

TintinATL

Reaction score
Yes, Sid Mashburn is the place.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Because he put flaps on the pockets of a DB DJ? Just my guess, what is the correct answer Voxx?

skyscraper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Again, I ask: why do Atlantans who post here hate Edgar Pomeroy?

- B

I've never heard of either shop before I posted.

I'll plan on investigating both options with an open mind. Both appear to specialize in more cutting edge styles, but if they can build a quality garment that won't offend a CFO in front of me
smile.gif
, then it could be a match.

I guess not a lot of love for Rochester or Nordstroms custom suit programs...or The Custom Suit Shop??? Anyone have good/bad/indifferent experiences with these guys? I ask because that's what I narrowed it down to before I found this forum....which I'm glad I did.

FYI...I used to use an overseas outfit, but I'm keen to find someone local...for convenience and ease of doing business

Mainly, I'm looking for a suit that I feel good in, but doesn't get noticed for either its superiority or inferiority. Which is what I prefer for my business uniform.

Many Thanks.

Strange

Reaction score
I've seen some decent work come out of Johnny La; (full canvas, hand padded lapel and collar, horn buttons and handsewn button holes) but frankly I couldn't tell you if this was full bespoke or very good made to measure. IIRC the damage was something in the neighborhood of $2500 for a two piece. I'll see if I can track down more specifics and some photos.

kraftar

Reaction score
They're not going to be "value priced" but you could try one of the Savile Row tailors that visits Atlanta... I believe Henry Poole, Dege & Skinner, and Thomas Mahon make trips to Atlanta (any others?). Again, they won't be cheap but you're more likely to get what you pay for.

smruss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skyscraper
I guess not a lot of love for Rochester or Nordstroms custom suit programs...or The Custom Suit Shop??? Anyone have good/bad/indifferent experiences with these guys? I ask because that's what I narrowed it down to before I found this forum....which I'm glad I did.
The custom suit shop is ****, i would stay at all costs. They lack experience, quality and overall everything a custom experience should be, which is silly because its what they call themself. They take measurements send them away and the suit comes back finished from china. The waiting time is about 10 weeks. They are the same quality suits as from K&G Warehouse sell. Its exactly like princehenry.biz but cray over priced. They make you sign a sheet that says if they need to make alterations you will need to cover the costs. I brought a suit in to have them copy the exact fit, lapel size, and measurements. The result was an over sized mess, they did notch lapels instead of peak, and they had another jacket made free of charge but the lapels were not the width i asked for, so they messed up my order again. Their excuse was the language barrier was lost in translation on the measurement sheet The price the post of their website is complete bullshit, a fused suit from them with the cheapest fabric will cost at least $400. I wish i never spent the money there. Lennox and phipps are not even 2 minutes away from their shop so i would definately start there. Sids is great also.

Strange

Reaction score
Originally Posted by smruss
The custom suit shop is ****, i would stay at all costs. They lack experience, quality and overall everything a custom experience should be, which is silly because its what they call themself. They take measurements send them away and the suit comes back finished from china. The waiting time is about 10 weeks. They are the same quality suits as from K&G Warehouse sell. Its exactly like princehenry.biz but cray over priced. They make you sign a sheet that says if they need to make alterations you will need to cover the costs. I brought a suit in to have them copy the exact fit, lapel size, and measurements. The result was an over sized mess, they did notch lapels instead of peak, and they had another jacket made free of charge but the lapels were not the width i asked for, so they messed up my order again. Their excuse was the language barrier was lost in translation on the measurement sheet The price the post of their website is complete bullshit, a fused suit from them with the cheapest fabric will cost at least $400. I wish i never spent the money there. Lennox and phipps are not even 2 minutes away from their shop so i would definately start there. Sids is great also.
Never had anything done. I'm simply going off some items a friend of mine got. But what I saw wasn't anything akin to what you've described. Again, I'll try and track down some photos for comparison. Shameless displays aside, I'm not put off my EP's website.

smruss

Reaction score
^For what your paying the quality and custom experience is non existent. The name of the place is the Custom Suit Shop, to me that means a custom suit that is fitted to your body. Not just mail away measurements. When I went to try on the suit they put me in a storage room, they don't have fitting rooms in their shop. I find this very had to believe that they don't think to have fitting rooms built in a store about clothing. I am just warning you of my experience. I was greatly disappointed with the entire process.

skyscraper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Strange
Never had anything done. I'm simply going off some items a friend of mine got. But what I saw wasn't anything akin to what you've described. Again, I'll try and track down some photos for comparison. Shameless displays aside, I'm not put off my EP's website.

They apparently offer full canvas option.

I'd be interested to see pic's of your friends suit. Sound's like two fairly different experiences & product from these guys which may be a pattern of inconsistency or just different product offerings?????

I am really hoping to find a source where I can get a decent quality suit that fits my body and not pay into the thousands. Off the rack is pretty much not an option for me.

smruss: Did you order a full or half canvas and end up geting a fused???

Thanks gentlemen.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sid's going to start carrying Attolini soon - starting in late Oct if memory serves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads