• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom shoes - Carmina or TLB Mallorca?

GrahamM

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm interested in getting a pair of split-toe Derby shoes. So far, looking at the usual suppliers, nothing in stock matches what I'd like and so I'm considering customisation with either Carmina or TLB Mallorca.

To give you an idea of what I'd like, here's a page with a pair from Carmina on the Simpson last:

The shoe it would be based on for TLC Mallorca is from their artista line: https://www.tlbmallorca.com/136-artista-vegano-shoe

I'd choose a Dainite/rubber sole.

Both companies offer customisation, with both I'd have to get a shoe in stock in the same last to be sure of size/fit, then return it and progress the custom order. Both have a similar price. Carmina offer more leathers, it appears, and have branded Dainite soles.

What else should I be considering between the two companies?

Cheers

Graham

Braid

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm interested in getting a pair of split-toe Derby shoes. So far, looking at the usual suppliers, nothing in stock matches what I'd like and so I'm considering customisation with either Carmina or TLB Mallorca.

To give you an idea of what I'd like, here's a page with a pair from Carmina on the Simpson last:

The shoe it would be based on for TLC Mallorca is from their artista line: https://www.tlbmallorca.com/136-artista-vegano-shoe

I'd choose a Dainite/rubber sole.

Both companies offer customisation, with both I'd have to get a shoe in stock in the same last to be sure of size/fit, then return it and progress the custom order. Both have a similar price. Carmina offer more leathers, it appears, and have branded Dainite soles.

What else should I be considering between the two companies?

Cheers

Graham
The quality would e very similar, assuming to have a similar fit in both I would choose based only on aestethic: which pattern, apron style, last and leather combination yuo like the most?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got Carmina and TLB - They're both a pretty good value and shoe so you can't really go wrong. There are some subtle differences but that's a little less visible with dainite/incas soles. There are some other differences with slightly higher quality going to TLB in my opinion but it's close. Second what has been said- Check the lasts and see if there is one you prefer the fit and looks of, Carmina I think has more options on last than TLB. If I recall correctly though you can use the non-Artista line lasts and have them made to Artista specifications which should help open up more options than Picasso or Goya. To put a more specific thought to what Braid said, the most noticeable difference to me between the two is visible in the split toe/apron stitching so I'd check which you prefer since I'm guessing you've got something in mind with regards to looking at a split toe. Carmina pattern is a 6 eyelet, TLB is 5.

Peking_Gent

Reaction score
Carmina offers more options while TLB has better constructions (beveled waist) and price. Personally, I'm down for TLB unless Carmina does another one of those custom weekends that waive the custom surcharge.

harlequin782

Reaction score
Carmina.

Same build quality as TLB (with minor cosmetic differences obviously), much cleaner/neater designs (especially on boots -jodhpurs, chukkas, chelseas etc), slightly better leather quality, and far more last & leather options for the price. That said, TLB is also very impressive

Last edited:

Viatu

Reaction score
I have a pair of Carminas. I'm interested in TLB and very well may purchase a pair of their shoes soon. But, as has been mentioned above unless Carmina will waive their custom fee I wouldn't buy a custom pair from them. For the price of custom Carminas you might as well go with a pair of split toe derbies from Yeossal's in-house hand-grade line.

apd90700

Reaction score
I have and like the Goya 136 in Dark Brown Vegano with City Soles. For comfort, TLB Artista with City Soles are really solid [own six pairs with City soles, one with leather]. If you're just wanting a rubber outsole you may take a look at the City Soles by TLB.

I too was down to picking between TLB and Carmina for my first pairs of shoes, and landed on TLB due to a number of reasons. Many people reviewing these two seem to think that TLB edges Carmina in terms of total quality for the money. Personally I throw in another factor, which is Customer Service, which TLB trounces most companies in.

Last edited:

GrahamM

Reaction score
Thanks Guys for the latest comments. I'll take into account the suggestions and views you've expressed for the future.

I started the thread last summer. I finally didn't need to get a custom made pair of Split Toe Derbies. I found a pair of Hardwick's from Crockett and Jones in Snuff suede which I really liked and fit well. Bonus was that they were on sale!

Cheers

Graham

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads