1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Custom shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by A Harris, May 6, 2003.

1. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well I've been up all night measuring my shirts and myself to determine the optimal measurements for the two custom shirts I just ordered online. I ordered one from Jantzen Tailor and one from an Italian company that a friend recommended - Stefanelli. You can find Stefanelli at this link. I expected the Stefanelli to cost about 100 Euro but when I had submitted the order I noticed that it actually cost over 140 Euros. I had misread the shipping cost - it was about 60 Euros... OUCH.. It better be a darn good shirt at that price. Oh well, at least there is a money back guarantee. I should have both of them in 2 weeks or so - I'll have a report then.

2. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

If I may be so bold, which cloth did you select for your Jantzen shirt? And the Stefanelli? I'm always looking for new ideas... (and after years of too-big everything on my off-the-rack stuff, I'm happy to be able to get a couple of properly-fitting shirts a month...) I'm especially curious to know how these custom shirts stack up to high-end ready-to-wear... perhaps I should be saving my money... Nick. PS. Not shilling. Â [​IMG]

3. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

I'm looking through swatches right now, trying to find a blod stripe or check pattern, for a shirt to go with the suit I just got. It's frustrating, because you can't tell what the shirt will look like at all. For example, what the hell will this pattern look like once it's a shirt? I'm having a tough time visualizing this.

4. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Mike -
    To me, that pattern looks very spring or summery, kind of like a camp shirt pattern. I suppose it depends on what color suit you are planning to wear it with. I could see it with a tan summer suit. I don't know if I could see it with a dark suit, but maybe.
    Bradford

5. VWpete

VWpete Senior member

If this is for your tan linen Mike, I think it'd work pretty well. I actually almost bought a similar Paul Smith Shirt this year. Very summery style, casual suit shirt. I think it would look sharp w/ tan linen, opened up a bit w/ no tie in the summer.
    Cheers,
    Pete

6. A Harris

[​IMG] Mike C, I'm pretty sure that is the exact fabric I ordered my shirt in. The jantzentailor site is down right now but I clearly remember ordering checkers #288 - it's a bold green/blue/white check right? I had it cut slim, a bit short, and with a square tail so that I can wear it untucked as well as with a jacket. I think it would probably look great with a linen suit. I ordered the Stefanelli in a solid pink because my only pink shirt is too small for me. It's tough trying to figure out what the fabric really looks like from a scanned swatch..

7. Stu

Stu Senior member

Andrew: I also love Ascot Chang. I imagine you've tried them, but in case you haven't, they carry my highest recommendation. I have two shirts I had custom-made from AC in 1996, and I still wear them at least once a month. They are outstanding.

8. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

A Harris

A while ago, you informed us that you ordered shirts from these makers. If, when, you have received, please share your thoughts and opinions about the quality.

Many thanks. CP

9. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

I think the thread was here http://www.styleforum.net/cgi-bin....;t=1112 Good reviews, so I just ordered a shirt from Jantzen today. It's a simple white/lilac number with a purple check. I'm getting a wide spread two button collar, french cuffs, form fitting cut, and purple contrast stitching on the buttonholes, which I think could be a real neat feature to look for subsequent shirts if it turns out right. Out of curiosity, are you thinking about getting any pattern or style in particular? Also, to those of you that have Jantzen shirts... how long did it take before they came in?

10. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Usually a week, week and a half. One order took three weeks, but I think there was a postal strike.

Incidentally, did any other Jantzen customers recently receive a bundle of fabric swatches in the mail? I thought that was a nice touch, I didn't even have to ask...

11. clarinetplayer

Thanks for the link containing Mr. Harris's report regarding the Jantzen shirts that he ordered. As for style, I am considering ordering the English spread collar with double cuff (square). Pattern? It is like being in a candy store--hard to make a choice when they all look good. I am trying to decide on ordering some of the blue Duke of Windsor checks and some solid blues and whites. Some of the pink checks have also caught my eye.

According to Nick M, delivery is very quick. That's impressive. I'm also impressed that the tailor sent several sample swatches for perusal.

12. clarinetplayer

A colleague, after reading this, quipped that sending swatches of cloth is like being offered samples of ice cream in a dairy shop. Â [​IMG] Â Now, that is good business. Nick M: Â Did any cloth samples catch your eye that perhaps would not have had you only looked at those on the computer screen?

13. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior member

A Harris, how did your Stefanelli shirt turn out?

14. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Andrew:

Say it aint so...

I had a customer in JAPAN, buy a 140 dollar kids coat and then return it cause she didnt like it.

Easily spent over 140 on shipping alone...

Ya gotta figure that at 60 Euros shipping (which is very high for one shirt unless you have put on some weight since your photos on the site and the fabric alone adds to the weight considerably) its gonna cost you at the easiest another 15 bucks (USPS) to get it back for a total of about 90 bucks, its just worth it to get rid of it on ebay.

Am I missing something here?

JJF

15. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Okay that link just takes me to some GQ Readers required post. And I can't seem to find it through the search--anyone...anyone?

16. A Harris

Never got it for some reason. I submitted the order, and never heard back from them. There is probably a legitimate reason why it was never made, but I was sort of happy not to hear back from them after finding out about the 60 Euro shipping charge, so I did not pursue it.

The shipping charge is not so bad for multiple shirts, and they came highly recommended from a gentlemen who knows his stuff, so somebody may still want to try them...

17. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior member

Custom shirtmaker:

Riddle-McIntyre
    175 N. Franklin St.
    Chicago, IL 60606
    tel: 312.782.3317

Note: Riddle-McIntyre is the only custom shirtmaker in Chicago that does not farm out the actual making of their shirts. Some of what they use are Swiss Alumo fabrics. I know because I walked by and saw the Alumo fabrics stacked in the window. The sample shirts in the window looked quite good. They were closed for vacation when I walked by, but I will pay a visit one of these days. Riddle-McIntyre has been around since 1916(?) and is now run by an East Asian fellow. The minimum order is four shirts.