• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CUSTOM SHIRTS

oldskool

Reaction score
New York City:

1) Has anyone had a shirt made for them at Polo 72nd & Madison store?

2) Has anyone had a shirt made for them at Paul Stuart?

3) Has anyone had a shirt made at Bergdorff's??

Any and all comments, reviews appreciated.

auto90403

Reaction score
have only had MTM at brooks brothers.

haven't ever bought shirts at RL and it's been years since i set foot inside paul stuart.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All my dress shirts are Bergdorf MTM. About 15 measurements. No handwork and (thick) plastic buttons (now can tell after reading a recent Johnny Norman thread) but have never had any problem with quality (wear for a long time-look good after numerous launderings). Cost about $150 for an end-on-end broadcloth or royal oxford. Take 4 weeks. I think the first order had to be 2. 1st floor, ask for Alan Bair (very pleasant and heads up this department).

uriahheep

Reaction score
Bergdorf Goodman uses two makers for their MTM/custom shirts. I can't remember who makes the "lesser" line(Individualized?), but Geneva makes the more expensive shirts.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but Geneva makes the more expensive shirts.
Alan has never told me about two separate programs but that doesn't mean you're wrong (maybe that's why he charged me $250 for my last shirt there-I chose a different material and didn't ask the price).

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
I can only comment about Bergdorf.

Bergdorf MTM is by Individualized Shirt. Good and reliable and fairly priced. The same product is available at Saks, Oxxford, and other stores. It used to make MTM for Brooks.

If Geneva makes shirts for Bergdorf, then it's under a different program. I have had no experience with its shirts, but it is known to be an excellent shirtmaker. If Geneva makes shirts for Bergdorf, why not run dowtown to Geneva and pay less as a direct custormer?

I purchased Borrelli MTM at Bergdorf. Despite my specific instructions to Fabio Borrelli the initial cuff was too big. I had them re-make cuffs which was attached to the shirt at the store. The new cuffs were skintight. Both shirts were returned for a full refund.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can only comment about Bergdorf.

Bergdorf MTM is by Individualized Shirt. Good and reliable and fairly priced. The same product is available at Saks, Oxxford, and other stores. It used to make MTM for Brooks.

If Geneva makes shirts for Bergdorf, then it's under a different program. I have had no experience with its shirts, but it is known to be an excellent shirtmaker. If Geneva makes shirts for Bergdorf, why not run dowtown to Geneva and pay less as a direct custormer?

I purchased Borrelli MTM at Bergdorf. Despite my specific instructions to Fabio Borrelli the initial cuff was too big. I had them re-make cuffs which was attached to the shirt at the store. The new cuffs were skintight. Both shirts were returned for a full refund.
Fabio Borrelli? Doesn't he run the company back in Naples? What was he doing in NYC taking shirts orders?

Very confused.

Jon.

uriahheep

Reaction score
Fabio Borrelli? Doesn't he run the company back in Naples? What was he doing in NYC taking shirts orders?

Very confused.

Jon.
Probably a trunk show.

uriahheep

Reaction score
Especially considering the price I'm not all that impressed by even Talbott's Estate line of shirts. The Polish-made RTW Robert Talbott shirts found at Saks are made by this manufacturer: http://www.davinci.pl

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Fabio Borrelli was doing a trunk show at Bergdorf's.

I told him that I have a small wrist and that I want a small cuff. He measured me and commiserated that he also has a small wrist and that he orders a small cuff.

As I indicated earlier, the order was botched.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
The Polish-made RTW Robert Talbott shirts found at Saks are made  by this manufacturer: http://www.davinci.pl
Are Talbott shirts not made stateside? My only Talbott shirt (RTW) is USA made (or at least that's what the label says). I've seen Da Vinci branded shirts at TJ Maxx/Marshall's of late. Has anyone here used Talbott MTM? Curious how they compare to the Individualized Shirts.

uriahheep

Reaction score
Are Talbott shirts not made stateside? My only Talbott shirt (RTW) is USA made (or at least that's what the label says).
In 1990 Robert Talbott bought Houston-based Lucerne Shirts. The majority of Robert Talbott shirts I've seen are made in the USA. The only ones I've seen made elsewhere are those I saw at Saks, which were made in Poland.

uriahheep

Reaction score
Going back to the original question, Talbott shirts are decent but nothing special. You probably have a number of options at BG. You could order Borrelli MTM, Charvet MTM, Geneva custom, Individualized MTM, Kiton MTM and maybe more. You could try Geneva or Paris directly. Another option could be to try one of the Gambert shirtmakers in New Jersey if you're in the area: http://www.gambert.com http://www.gambertshirts.com Looking at some of the pictures on the second site, they don't seem to be very meticulous in matching patterns of the sleeve/sleeve placket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads