• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom shirts in NYC?

Monster

Reaction score
I want to go the Jantzen or MyTailor way for shirts, but don't want to mess around with having to make repeated corrections...especially not at 4+ weeks from order to delivery.

I'd like to buy one shirt (or as it seems many places have a 3 shirt minimum...3), then send that off to get copied.

What are some good custom shirt makers to look to?

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well ... seeing as how you've just informed every New York shirtmaker that you're basically a f...wad, good luck.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Well ... seeing as how you've just informed every New York shirtmaker that you're basically a f...wad, good luck.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Sure you don't want to get them from Germany???

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Sure you don't want to get them from Germany???

Mr. Gasoline.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even your imagined "Monster", Sir, must take a back seat to the creation of Dr. Cunningham! Please, spare us from the vision of your shirt.

Respectfully, et blithering cetera

LeMonstre-1950.jpg

coachvu

Reaction score
On certain dates, mytailor.com has tailors taking measurements in New York. Check their website for the specifics. That should help reduce the number of trial shirts.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Monster
. . . MyTailor

Originally Posted by coachvu
On certain dates, mytailor.com has tailors taking measurements in New York. Check their website for the specifics. That should help reduce the number of trial shirts.

Can these bespoke upholsterers provide some nice seat covers for my 1950 Cadillac?

Finally . . . after one month, we received some fresh coffee beans! Good morning from Minsk!

Respectfully, et blithering cetera

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alexander Kabbaz

Hehe, yeah now they know that when a guy hands them a credit card that says "Monster" on it, that this is the guy who plans on ditching them for Jantzen.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fess up guys.

I know a couple of guys have done that to me. One at least had the guts to tell me why he wanted his measurments after delivering a couple of well fitted shirts.

Carl

ww.cego.com

Monster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alexander Kabbaz
OMG! THEY WILL RECOGNIZE ME BY MY ANONYMOUS INTERNET ID WHEN I WALK IN THE STORE!!!!

OMG YOU ARE RIGHT!! WHY AM I NOT AS SMRT AS YOU?!?!?!

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't take the risk of mailing one of my terrific CEGO shirts to mytailor or Jantzen, though I have used both of them by taking my own measurements.
wink.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Monster
OMG! THEY WILL RECOGNIZE ME BY MY ANONYMOUS INTERNET ID WHEN I WALK IN THE STORE!!!!

OMG YOU ARE RIGHT!! WHY AM I NOT AS SMRT AS YOU?!?!?!

You're really not helping yourself to get helped on here.

hanker565

Reaction score
they'll probably recognize you from your childish attitude

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In fairness, guys, I've heard a number of people on this board mention sending shirts to be copied, and don't remember anyone ever suggesting that this practice was unethical or even unseemly. Of course I understand that a custom shirtmaker needs to make a fair return on their initial investment of time and expertise, but I always thought that's why they established minimum order requirements; Monster seems perfectly amenable to abide by the shirtmaker's minimum.

Custom shirtmaking isn't an option for me personally, so I've never really thought much about it, but I certainly never knew copying was unethical. If it is fine, but we might have informed this guy in more diplomatic manner than calling him vulgar names.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
In fairness, guys, I've heard a number of people on this board mention sending shirts to be copied, and don't remember anyone ever suggesting that this practice was unethical or even unseemly. Of course I understand that a custom shirtmaker needs to make a fair return on their initial investment of time and expertise, but I always thought that's why they established minimum order requirements; Monster seems perfectly amenable to abide by the shirtmaker's minimum.

Custom shirtmaking isn't an option for me personally, so I've never really thought much about it, but I certainly never knew copying was unethical. If it is fine, but we might have informed this guy in more diplomatic manner than calling him vulgar names.

Relationships with bespoke makers have been discussed on this board for years ad nauseum. As lazy as Mr. Monster appears in his willingness to endure the trials and tribulations of Ricky or whomever working to perfect his pattern is the same lack of effort he used to research the subject ... on the only forum which actually does have a working search function.

That said, let's repeat it all again: Relationships with bespoke makers are not ones where the maker profits handsomely from the outset. Most makers may do a bit better than break-even on your first order; some are happy just to come close. Minimums are set not to insure retirement at an early age, but merely to insure that the inevitable bath isn't too, too hot. Hopefully, the maker's work turns out to be of a caliber which causes the client to return and place another order from the effort-intensive pattern created for the first order. Now the maker can hope to make a reasonable profit. Just like an honest marriage, these are not relationships entered into with the divorce pre-planned by one of the parties as soon as a certain chattel is possessed; in this case the shirt pattern.

Perhaps my vulgarity was misplaced. Perhaps Mr. Monster is not actually a f***wad, though given his second post he may well be. I would have better phrased it that his goal is to f*** the shirtmaker out of his hard-earned recompense. On the other hand, if there were a shirtmaker named Wad, I would have been entirely correct in the first place.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads