• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Navy Houndstooth Fresco & Brown Silk/ Linen Summer Tweed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Interested in jacket length for the Navy Houndstooth. Would it be cheaper to send to UK or Hong Kong? Not sure if UK will charge VAT.

It somewhat depends on how much you order. If you're just talking about the price of the fabric, it's cheaper to send to Hong Kong, even though the mill is in England, because you will incur a VAT charge if your delivery address is within the EU. That said, if you're located in Hong Kong and will need to later to ship to the UK, that will be an additional cost. Happy to give a price break down if you PM me, although it's pretty straightforward -- $70/ meter for the summer tweed; $75/ meter for the Fresco; $47 for shipping per package.

Hi, how much would shipping cost for 3.8m of the fresco to Australia please?

$47 per package to Australia. However, if you buy both fabrics, the shipping charge will double, as these are coming to you from separate mills. The $47 shipping fee is flat, so it doesn't matter how much fabric you order.

Last edited:

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be having it made in Hong Kong so I think it'll be cheaper. Can you book me for 2 meters for the Houndstooth Fresco? I haven't done these customs, so let me know via PM and such how to pay and so on. Thanks!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I will be having it made in Hong Kong so I think it'll be cheaper. Can you book me for 2 meters for the Houndstooth Fresco? I haven't done these customs, so let me know via PM and such how to pay and so on. Thanks!

Thanks, Isolation. Just PM'd.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same here: jacketing length of the houndstooth, located in the UK.

dan'l

Reaction score
@dieworkwear Perhaps a silly question, but I was wondering how you got fabric swatches, if the the custom run has not been made yet? Or did the mill set up their machine and yarns and only produce a yard or so of fabric? Even if that were the case, how come the swatches you have (i.e. the fresco) is so small?

Just genuinely curious on the process, that's all.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

@dieworkwear Perhaps a silly question, but I was wondering how you got fabric swatches, if the the custom run has not been made yet? Or did the mill set up their machine and yarns and only produce a yard or so of fabric? Even if that were the case, how come the swatches you have (i.e. the fresco) is so small?

Just genuinely curious on the process, that's all.

I don't know how swatches are made, or if the process is the same for every custom swatch order. I do know that some are piece dyed in a bucket, depending on the project at hand.

The Fresco here actually hasn't been put through any finishing process, although that doesn't matter for photo representations. In person, it doesn't have the same hand as regular Fresco since getting that finishing on such a small piece wasn't possible. On a full run, the houndstooh Fresco will feel like Minnis' usual solid-colored Frescos.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this a redundant question, but how is the hand feel of the silk-linen? Is it like a canvas, crispy with a body to it, or is it more pliable like a hemp-wool?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Sorry if this a redundant question, but how is the hand feel of the silk-linen? Is it like a canvas, crispy with a body to it, or is it more pliable like a hemp-wool?

Not sure what you mean by pliable. If you mean whether it has the natural stretch of animal hair, like you find in wool, then no. It's not as stiff as cotton canvas however (although, I've only seen cotton canvases in a tight weave, which might explain the lack of stretch).

It's basically a loosely woven linen, with a bit of silk built in to give the fabric strength. Crisp and dry would be good descriptions of the hand.

I would say it's more pliable than W. Bill's linens. Maybe something like Brisbane Moss' linens, but not as loosely woven as some of those options (some of those are really porous, from memory). It also has more body than Brisbane Moss linens, but again -- I'm going off memory.

I would maybe compare it to Solbiati's linens, but this has a lot more slubby texture and doesn't have the sheen.

Last edited:

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's an another example of a similar navy houndstooth in the wild.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just a friendly reminder that I'm closing orders this Friday. If you're interested in ordering, please contact me soon.

dan'l

Reaction score

Just a friendly reminder that I'm closing orders this Friday. If you're interested in ordering, please contact me soon.

I'm in for 2.0m of the summer tweed and sent you a PM yesterday.

Thanks again for organizing the custom run!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads