• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'custom' martin greenfield suit on giltcity - mtm/bespoke?

ruhr0h

Reaction score
Got this in my e-mail: http://www.giltcity.com/newyork/martingreenfield I'm obv very apprehensive of gilt... so is this a good deal? guessing it can't be true bespoke @ that price point. I searched and MG seems highly regarded / and they used to not take retail customers in the past? What's going on here?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any suit you buy over the internet is not going to be bespoke. Also, I don't think Greenfield even offers bespoke, only MTM. You can walk in the door and get one made.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Any suit you buy over the internet is not going to be bespoke. Also, I don't think Greenfield even offers bespoke, only MTM. You can walk in the door and get one made.

The offer is to take a visit to his factory and get measured for a suit (with one fitting).

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scruff
The offer is to take a visit to his factory and get measured for a suit (with one fitting).

Ah, ok. Still. Not bespoke.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For new clients only. Limit one per person. Client will need to return for a fitting in five to six weeks after first appointment. The suit will be complete in another two weeks.
This suggests bespoke.

ruhr0h

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
This suggests bespoke.
thats what i was thinking -- price certainly does not though. so... good deal?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This suggests bespoke.

Not really. It could be MTM with two fittings... You could have 100 fittings and it would be still MTM, if it is MTM. Bespoke is having a pattern drafted for you, not the alteration of an existing pattern.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At that price, I'm pretty sure it's MTM. Sounds like a good deal, though, and you get pizza! Even Rubinacci doesn't offer pizza.
Given that MGF's MTM at BB starts around $1500, I doubt it's bespoke. I wonder if Obama has gotten his suits from them yet?

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Not really. It could be MTM with two fittings... You could have 100 fittings and it would be still MTM, if it is MTM. Bespoke is having a pattern drafted for you, not the alteration of an existing pattern.

Originally Posted by KObalto
At that price, I'm pretty sure it's MTM. Sounds like a good deal, though, and you get pizza! Even Rubinacci doesn't offer pizza.
Given that MGF's MTM at BB starts around $1500, I doubt it's bespoke. I wonder if Obama has gotten his suits from them yet?

There's a good chance you guys are right, but it is GiltCity, which is their version of Groupon, so I wouldn't be completely surprised if it were bespoke at deep discount.

TheBurnOut

Reaction score
Especially if it comes with a slice of pizza.

tj100

Reaction score
There's a good chance you guys are right, but it is GiltCity, which is their version of Groupon, so I wouldn't be completely surprised if it were bespoke at deep discount.

Giltcity (along with 99.999% of the population) does not differentiate between MTM and bespoke. I bought some 'bespoke' shirts last fall, and they ended up being your basic off-shored MTM shirt. Not a terrible value, for what I paid, but nothing I'd buy again.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
lets just call it a custom made suit!!
sounds like it is cut and finished,
fitting will have unfinished bottoms. Maybe unfinished sleeves if it is getting working buttonholes.
then it is good to go!!

good value for the suit.

vitruvius

Reaction score
I called Greenfield, and they confirmed it's MTM, not bespoke. Sounds like a great value, still: it's about the same price that W.W. Chan would charge for a basic suit when he roadtrips to New York in July, and with Greenfield you'll get a basted fitting (Chan just does the whole thing off measurements and pops it in the mail).

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
some m2m work shops offer a basted fitting to their dealers. with an extra charge naturally.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads