• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom made suits in Thailand

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
I'm glad you had a good experience. Were there any interesting little surprises?

The suit I had made in Thailand about 10 yrs ago had some surprises I liked (such as a hidden waist-band pocket) and some I didn't like (such as cuffs that were a bit narrower than I would have preferred). Strangest of all was that I asked for two inward-facing pleats and the ones most toward the center were still about midway toward the pockets, rather than on the center crease. I think the house style was three outward-facing pleats and they just removed the inner ones.

The best lesson I learned when having things made in Thailand, the Philippines, or Israel was to bring in a piece of clothing I liked and have that copied. That usually eliminates any risk that if you don't specify something, they'll go back to their default, house style, which may or may not be somethign you like.

Well not really, but I asked for working cuffs and they only made the first button opening. They also put a keyhole buttonhole on the lapel.

utailor

Reaction score
I'm originally from Germany but live in Bangkok since two years and work in the fashion / tailor made industry. Even though I'm not doing suits I know quiet a bit about the fabrics available here and how the suit tailors work.

As mentioned before the most important thing if you want to buy a suit is to know what you want and to communicate that to the tailor of your choice. Some of them will suggest you several things that might be easy for them to do and not really what matches your style.

If you never bought a custom made suit before do some research. You can learn a lot about suits by looking at other tailors websites. ( http://www.ctda.com/newsite/Find-a-Tailor.html )

If you walk down Sukhumvit Road you will find many small tailor shops who try to sell you something. Don't settle for the first one. At least walk from BTS Sukhumvit to BTS Nana two times and compare their offers.

Always have two or more fittings and take your time to check every detail. Very cheap suits start at ~ 60$ but obviously the fabric is not that nice. A suit with decent fabric starts around ~ 120$ but this of course depends on the tailor and how you deal with him. Good suits start around 350$ for me but everyone has different preferences when it comes to fabrics so you might just use these prices as a rough guideline.

Farang (foreigner) prices are common but not that different to Thai prices if you go for a good fabric. For cheap suits a Thai national will get them cheaper as you get them but I don't think it makes sense to go for a cheap custom suit anyway.

So in one sentence:

Just know what you want, compare different tailors, take your time to check all details when you have your fittings and you can get a very nice suit for a good price.

It is also a good thing if you bring your favorite shirts or suits and let them copy them.

jonern

Reaction score
If you're going to Phuket, I can really reccomend www.phuketsuits.com. They're based in Kamala, only 10 minutes from Patong. They offer high quality tailor made suits, and they really know the craft. Excellent workmanship, excellent prices, and great fabrics to chose from. I went to their shop on the main street in Kamala, but I've noticed they receive orders online.
Jonern.

Smarisa

Reaction score
VERY FAST SERVICE! Tailor Pro is a great place to get your clothes tailored. They are extremely fast (but you do have to pay for the extra attention). Great location so you can just take your clothes, Great atmosphere inside and they have fitting rooms for you to try on your clothes. Fast fitting are a must in our busy society and that is what Sam offers customers. Go or regret it!.They are at sukhumvit road soi 16 just inside somerset lake point ground floor.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is fast going downhill into one of self advertisement.

Just a few points in general about Thai tailors.
There are decent tailors in Thailand but no great tailors. Most of the time, you do get what you pay for. Opt, wherever possible, for locals (Thai) or tailors of Chinese origins. Avoid touts and those that try to get comfortable with you using a fake accent based on where you come from.

If you are already acquainted with MTM from the better Western labels or bespoke in Europe/ US, you will be disappointed with their work and quality in Thailand.

If you need only to wear a suit infrequently, save up and get a good one back home. If you are young and starting out on a low budget and are required to dress in suits everyday, offerings from Thai tailors would make decent choices for lower prices. Even then I would be hesistant to try any tailor for more than 2 suits for the first time. Don't ever be persuaded to use very expensive cloths even if they try to give you a good deal as their skills will mostly put the cloths to waste.

Should one decide to go ahead with a Thailand based tailor, be very very clear what you want and how you want it. Bring a fitting sample where possible and I find it's useful to have your demands laid out on paper with photographs of examples or illustrations, otherwise, you are bound to get a house style you do not desire. (most of their house style means a style with the least work for them to do) You may ask for express service if you are in and out in just a few days but avoid any 24 hour service tailors. Also, go with your gut, some tailors just don't give you the right vibes and others just want your money.

Check ALL the finished goods as the sizes may vary and make a mistake. It helps to go to the tailor as early in your trip as possible and insist on proper fittings (I would recommend at least 2 for suits). I notice some tailors would finish your order without fittings and then try to justify their mistakes and grumble when you ask for alterations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads