• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Made Dress Shirts and Shoes

ablemean2

Reaction score
Just started a new job in DC (OK, I start tomorrow). Gonna need to ramp up the fashion quite a bit. 2 questions:

1) Where can I find a good custom shirt maker- I'd like to get one or two and if it goes well get 3-5 more, then more over time. I live in Alexandria and just started a job in DC- so near either place will work.

2) I have very wide feet that are also short, I'd say EE width maybe size 4 (although I'm accostomed to getting shoes longer than they need to be to get the width). It takes me an eternity to find dress shoes- ideas?

Thnx,

SB

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ablemean2
Just started a new job in DC (OK, I start tomorrow). Gonna need to ramp up the fashion quite a bit. 2 questions:

1) Where can I find a good custom shirt maker- I'd like to get one or two and if it goes well get 3-5 more, then more over time. I live in Alexandria and just started a job in DC- so near either place will work.

2) I have very wide feet that are also short, I'd say EE width maybe size 4 (although I'm accostomed to getting shoes longer than they need to be to get the width). It takes me an eternity to find dress shoes- ideas?

Thnx,

SB

4EE? damn, that's going to be hard. I can't think of anybody that sells that. Allen Edmonds goes down to a 6, but not a 4. Not sure if anybody else sells a shoe that short.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope you won't take offense if I suggest, at least as a stopgap measure, considering looking at boys' shoes. I notice that Bass, for example, has some pretty decent-looking penny loafers in their lineup for boys, and I believe they do offer them in wide widths. They also make white bucks and dirty bucks in boys' sizes although since you are looking for business shoes, these would probably be of no interest.

ablemean2

Reaction score
Funny you mention that. Every time I end up looking for shoes I, contrary to every effort, end up at the kids department. So thaks for asking, but yeah, already come to the conclusion that kids shoes are something I gotta look at.

I should mention the one pair I have (dress shoes) are black doc martens that were strectched for about a week!

Ideas on the shirts also?

Sean

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Field Custom Tailor measures and fits custom shirts made by Geneva Custom Shirts in NYC. Geneva is one of the best. Field is at Wisconsin Ave and R Street, just south of the Social Safeway.

sammy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Field Custom Tailor measures and fits custom shirts made by Geneva Custom Shirts in NYC. Geneva is one of the best. Field is at Wisconsin Ave and R Street, just south of the Social Safeway.

I get my bespoke shirts at Field/Geneva. I've been very pleased. Field is on Wisconsin Ave, just north of Georgetown.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Given your difficulty in finding shoes, it might make sense to give seok's operation, Schubert Custom, a shot. If you search the forum, you can find some reviews. I'd say the one pair that I have are ok, not fantastic, but they fit well and are comfortable and nice-looking. I'm not sure the relative price/value ratio is such that I'll order another pair (if I were to go with another pair, I would want to go with the premium leather, at which price point I should be able to get some nice OTR shoes), but given that your OTR options are far more limited it may make sense for you.
http://schubertcustom.blogspot.com/

abc123

Reaction score
I'd like to bump this thread up in hopes of getting more info about Field's custom shirts option. Can anyone comment on fabrics, price, wait time, etc?

JRinDC

Reaction score
You should search the forum for the thread I started a week ago on MTM shirts. I'm also in D.C. I like Highcliffe Clothiers on 19th Street -- Mark Metzger is the guy there and he's very good.

But I also learned from the forum that W.W. Chan and MyTailor both come to town a couple times a year from Hong Kong and California respectively and I'm setting up appointments. Chan is in town this week Nov. 10-11. MyTailor is in town the week of the 21st. Others around here use Jantzen, but as the other threads indicate you need to get your measurements right and be prepared to wait for your shirt.

Mentos

Reaction score
Does anyone have a price range for the MTM options at Field?

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mentos
Does anyone have a price range for the MTM options at Field?

I'm interested as well.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bump for more information on Geneva shirts through Field's. Is there a fitting? What is the price range? Is there a minimum order requirement?

bobbers

Reaction score
Last week I was at Field's and asked about shirts. He said there was no minimum (he recommended getting just one done at first to make sure it fit well), and prices started at $250.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads