• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Jeans, to cuff or not to cuff

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
That is the question. I was thinking it might be good to leave them too long and roll them up for different pairs of shoes/sneakers.

What details would you get on a pair of custom jeans?

To be honest I would never get turn ups (cuffs) on jeans I think it looks nerdy, but thats just me. Why are you having custom jeans made? Are you after something stylisicaly unique or is it a fit issue were you simply can't get RTW jeans to fit correctly or is it a bit of both?

Personally, I prefer bootcuts on jeans as I like the casual look and comfort of them. If they trail on the floor then they trail on the floor but I'm English and I'm not fond of the look of pristine new jeans, much prefering them to be a bit battered, they are what they are
smile.gif

Just had a little think about what details you could add. What about the having the FNB moniker embroided onto the arse pockets of the jeans, you know in a fancy font, it would be quite subtle if you combined it with the normal stitching found on jeans arse pockets, most people who picked up on it would just think it's a new brand or something.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on what look you're going for. While jeans are always casual, cuffing them makes them even moreso. If you're going for a more workwear look, cuff. If you want to try to pull off a jeans-blazer combo or something dressier, don't cuff. What are you wearing them with?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
It depends on what look you're going for. While jeans are always casual, cuffing them makes them even moreso. If you're going for a more workwear look, cuff. If you want to try to pull off a jeans-blazer combo or something dressier, don't cuff. What are you wearing them with?

I could see it working in the context of the beach perhaps, which is about as casual as you can get but I think FNB is a city man so I couldn't see them working in the city, however, I'm not a New Yorker so I'm not familiar with the latetest NYC clothing trends.

Where are you planing to wear the jeans FNB...?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
To be honest I would never get turn ups (cuffs) on jeans I think it looks nerdy, but thats just me. Why are you having custom jeans made? Are you after something stylisicaly unique or is it a fit issue were you simply can't get RTW jeans to fit correctly or is it a bit of both? Personally, I prefer bootcuts on jeans as I like the casual look and comfort of them. If they trail on the floor then they trail on the floor but I'm English and I'm not fond of the look of pristine new jeans, much prefering them to be a bit battered, they are what they are
smile.gif
Just had a little think about what details you could add. What about the having the FNB moniker embroided onto the arse pockets of the jeans, you know in a fancy font, it would be quite subtle if you combined it with the normal stitching found on jeans arse pockets, most people who picked up on it would just think it's a new brand or something.

Well, with jeans there's always a fit issue but i was trying a high grade, lightweight denim. My tailor makes jeans as a specialty and ive never gotten a pair. I suppose I considered them for double duty both just with a dressy shirt (say, short or long sleeved with a floral print) and with a jacket for social. I have a hard time thinking Ill wear them to the office. I am doing double stitching in a yellow-orange and i am also having my initials hand embroidered on a back pocket in matching thread. FNB wouldn't make a lot of sense for me but it's a good idea. The jeans will follow most of the original Levis 501 design but with a zip fly. Future versions may have different stylistic details. What do people think about no stitching versus contrast stitching and are there any colors you like?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Well, with jeans there's always a fit issue but i was trying a high grade, lightweight denim. My tailor makes jeans as a specialty and ive never gotten a pair. I suppose I considered them for double duty both just with a dressy shirt (say, short or long sleeved with a floral print) and with a jacket for social. I have a hard time thinking Ill wear them to the office.

I am doing double stitching in a yellow-orange and i am also having my initials hand embroidered on a back pocket in matching thread. FNB wouldn't make a lot of sense for me but it's a good idea.

The jeans will follow most of the original Levis 501 design but with a zip fly.

Future versions may have different stylistic details.

What do people think about no stitching versus contrast stitching and are there any colors you like?

Well I think you have a lot more leeway with jeans regarding contrast stitching. Do Levis have contrast stitching? (You know, I can't remember, it's that long since I bought a pair...!!!)

Personally, I don't mind contrast stitching on jeans, not keen on it on tailored clothes a la Boeteng though. What's your favourite accent colour? Do you have a dominant colour in your wardrome, I know you like pink but that might be a bit much on a pair of jeans...

datasupa

Reaction score
This is a completely subjective and personal question. If you like cuffs, go for it. If not, don't. There is no 'right' answer.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by datasupa
This is a completely subjective and personal question. If you like cuffs, go for it. If not, don't. There is no 'right' answer.

Nobody said there was a right or wrong answer. He's asking for peoples opinions so I don't understand your point...

datasupa

Reaction score
It's like the OP making a thread asking if he should buy bootcut or straight leg. Or him asking other people what his favorite color should be.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics