• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Hand-Sewn Bag from Simon Baker and Full Review

antonw

Reaction score

Partition board and gusset:

That's it for now. More to come.

Beautiful bag!
What kind of material are the partition boards made from? Is it some kind of stiffer leather or is it not leather at all?

/Anton

casemaker

Reaction score
Hi Anton,

I use either an industrial fibre board, that is then covered with a lining leather, generally a glazed pigskin, or increasingly, I have been using the Sedgwick's bridle butt for the partition. I have not had any problems over the past 30 years with either.

best regards, simon

antonw

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Simon!

Do you use bridle butt for the visible parts of the bag as well or do you use something like bridle shoulder? How thick leather do you use for the different parts?

Best,
Anton

casemaker

Reaction score
Hi Anton,

I use the bridle butt for the front, back, all strapping and chapes, and the shoulder strap, the gusset, and any pockets are made with the thinner bridle 'lacing hide', also from Sedgwick. Shoulder is available at about a third of the cost of the butt, but is a much looser fibre, and weaker, and will tend to show stretch marks. Because these cases are 30 - 40 hours work, the extra cost of the bridle butt is worth it, in my opinion. This leather is the best quality that I have had the pleasure of working with in 30 years, and i have worked with leather from most of the tannery's in the UK, past and present.

This was to show a client the difference in colour between the London colour butt, top, and the Light Havana butt, a light havana lacing hide bottom. The Butt is 4mm, the lacing hide is 1.6 - 1.8mm.

The client chose the light havana, with a cream thread and chrome plated brass lock and fittings.

the partitions were the bridle butt, with a pocket grouping taken from my underarm folio's.

best regards, simon

antonw

Reaction score
Thank you Simon, very impressive bag and I really appreciate the information you share!

I'm actually thinking of sewing my own briefcase (something a bit simpler than your bags though=)). I'm wondering if anyone knows if the height measurements found online for say a Swaine Adeney Brigg Westminster 3 (18 x 13.5 x 6" (46 x 34 x 15cm)) are for the full bag with the lid closed or the height of the front piece alone, making the full bag somewhat higher than the stated dimensions.

Also, when using a multi-compartment construction with partition boards, is it common to make the partition boards the same size as the front piece or do you make them somewhat smaller?

Best,
Anton

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to give a shout out to Simon. He has been very patient and generous with his time regarding questions.

Originally, I planned to get a SAB that was close enough to what my dream briefcase would be, but I promised myself to stop compromising this year on. So I plan to commission Simon later this month... :slayer:

mbkoissy

Reaction score
Is Simon Baker legitimate? I am starting to worry. I placed an order last April, and paid half the cost of the case. We are at the beginning of July, and I have not heard anything from him, nor did I receive any news on the progress of my case.

Last edited:

mbkoissy

Reaction score
I finally got my case from Simon after a long delay. However, I have to admit that the quality of the leather and the craftsmanship make up for all of this. The case is simply gorgeous, and I am glad that I ordered from him. This case will last for a lifetime and beyond. I took it with me in the plane when I was traveling. I cannot count the amount of time I was complimented for its beauty. I will post pictures later.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Looking forward to the pics. From a customer service stand point, did he address the delay to your satisfaction?

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Any recent customers of Simon Baker?

I finally got my case from Simon after a long delay. However, I have to admit that the quality of the leather and the craftsmanship make up for all of this. The case is simply gorgeous, and I am glad that I ordered from him. This case will last for a lifetime and beyond. I took it with me in the plane when I was traveling. I cannot count the amount of time I was complimented for its beauty. I will post pictures later.

q-uk

Reaction score
Has anyone heard from Simon Baker?
I've been waiting 10months for my case now and he's not responding to any of my emails.

Gurp Johal

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread! Has anyone commissioned a bag from Simon recently? Wondering on the rough turn around to expect?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads