• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom cowboy boots

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I realize that some of you are not particularly enamored of cowboy boots, but some of you are and might find this interesting. I have a soft spot in my heart for cowboy boots, and ever since I saw a picture of custom-made elephant boots made by Dave Little in San Antonio in The Cowboy Boot Book by Tyler Beard and Jim Arndt several years ago, I knew that I would eventually have to have a pair. (A word about elephant skin: elephant hides currently available in the United States are taken from animals culled in African game preserves to ensure that the herds in those preserves don't grow to unsustainable numbers. Babar was not shot by poachers to make my boots.) This past January, I decided that the time had come to have them made. Living in Texas, I'm blessed by a close proximity to a number of well-reputed custom bootmakers, but in the end, I decided to go with Wheeler Boot Company in Houston, TX. Wheeler Boot Company was started in 1960 by Paul Wheeler. Paul is now deceased, but his son Dave is the principal bootmaker, while Dave's wife Janis and his mother Dorothy handle the business side of the operation. Wheeler is one of the most well-respected custom bootmaking companies in the US, and its proximity to me ensured that the entire process would be relatively painless. Dave is known for the flamboyant designs that he creates for his boot shafts. Here are some examples:
sprbowlbts.jpg
3bootsbrev5.jpg
3bootsgrev2.jpg
That's not exactly what I had in mind, but he can do something relatively plain, as well. The Wheeler shop is fairly small, sandwiched between an industrial area and a residential area off the South Loop in Houston. There are several sample boots as you come in, as well as a wall full of hides and binder with sample pictures in case you need some help coming up with what you want. As with most custom bootmakers in the US, Dave starts with stock lasts and alters them based on the customer's measurements via the addition method. He has about six different last styles that he and his father have developed over 44 years incorporating most of the features that people might look for in a boot last. Ordering is very much an a la carte experience. You choose your last shape (most of the differences between the different lasts are in the toe shape), you choose your heel (heel height in addition to how underslung it is), you choose the skin for the vamp (and when I say that you choose your skin, I mean that you choose the actual hide that will be used), you choose the height of the shaft of the boot, and you choose the characteristics of the shaft. I ended up with a square-toe last, 1.75" walking heel, dark brown elephant vamp, and a plain dark brown calf 12" shaft. They don't take credit cards, so I had to come back the next day with a check for the 50% deposit. While I was there, I decided to add a wave stitch pattern to the shaft, in addition to elephant trim around the top of the shaft. That was it for about 7 months: Dave doesn't measure your feet until he's ready to start making the boots so that he'll remember your foot better. Toward the end of July, I got a call to come in for my measurement, which consisted of three different circumference measurements at different points of each foot, a length measurement for each foot, a circumference measurement of each calf, and a tracing of each foot. My boots were finished at the end of August, and after a couple of minor fit adjustments, I took delivery of them about two weeks ago. Here are some pictures:
elephant_3.jpg
elephant_4.jpg
elephant_5.jpg
elephant_1.jpg
elephant_2.jpg
I'm extremely happy with the way that they turned out. The fit is excellent, and the look is just what I wanted. The quality of the make is better than any of the RTW boots that I've seen (and that includes Lucchese and JB Hill). Highly recommended. I'm currently giving some thought to something with a more elaborate shaft design.
biggrin.gif

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, those boots look incredible. Thanks for posting the pictures and I hope they serve you well.

dan

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Great boots. About how much did they run.

On a side note - There's a place in the border town of Nogales, AZ that has a good reputation for custom boots - can't think of the name off the top of my head - that I've always thought about trying but I've always assumed that they were pretty expensive.

I figured until I get some extra disposable income, I'll just stick with my Dan Post's.

Bradford

jrh

Reaction score
Bradford:

Perhaps you are thinking of Paul Bond Custom Boots.  I recently started discussing having boots made-up in shark from these folks.  Mr Bond is well into his eighties.  A fellow named Bob McClean is taking over the bussiness.  Bob trained under Dan and opened his own shop in Sonama and became highly respected as a custom boot maker.  These folks now boots.

The catalog sent to me from Paul Bond Boots lists boots satring at about 625, which is about right for custom.  I have had boots made by J B Hill of El Paso.

A similar style to J Cusey's but in shell cordovan were made up for me by J B Hill.  Nice square toe, aye J Cusey.  Prices are about 625 to 900, and up if you go crock of fancy inlays.  I bet the elephants made for J Cusey were about 800.  Yes?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Perhaps you are thinking of Paul Bond Custom Boots.
Yep - Paul Bond - that's who I was thinking of. Right there off of Mariposa Road as you come into Nogales from the North.

I worked in Nogales for about 4 months, so I drove by everyday.

Bradford

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great looking boots. I like the toe, with it's every so slightly squared off look.

By the way, for anyone looking for deals on boots, EBay always is overflowing with them. On any given day there are thousands of cowboy boots for sale. For example, right now there are 171 pairs of Lucchese's for sale. New ones going for under $100. Cheaper brands and used boots seem to go for next to nothing.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A similar style to J Cusey's but in shell cordovan were made up for me by J B Hill. Nice square toe, aye J Cusey. Prices are about 625 to 900, and up if you go crock of fancy inlays. I bet the elephants made for J Cusey were about 800. Yes?
The premium on elephant is considerably more than that, and the wave pattern on the shaft adds to the cost, as well.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
man I wish these photos still worked

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads