• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Balmoral Boot

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having met with Chay of AS I'm thinking of ordering a custom balmoral boot, similar to the Shannon II, but in black calf with a purple suede leg on the AS53 last (rightmost last in pic below) without speedhooks. Thoughts?

HandGradeLastsAll1024.jpg

Shannon II
tds2.jpg

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoa. I can't say it's something I would wear, but if you pull it off it would be an attention grabber that's for sure. The biggest factor to consider is how the boots would work with your current wardrobe. I have a pair of Grensons for PS very similar to the EG Shannon above and I find even those sometimes tough to pair with an ensemble.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kinda Jokerish, Nore.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Whoa. I can't say it's something I would wear, but if you pull it off it would be an attention grabber that's for sure. The biggest factor to consider is how the boots would work with your current wardrobe. I have a pair of Grensons for PS very similar to the EG Shannon above and I find even those sometimes tough to pair with an ensemble.
Thanks, Dave. I thought about it and have at least 2 suits with purple stripes/overchecks and gray & charcoal flannel trou to boot. My main concern was how much of the purple would be visible when standing.
Originally Posted by TRINI
Kinda Jokerish, Nore.
Werd, son. Closest I've seen is dark brown with a purpleish leg*:
Shannons1.jpg
Shannons2.jpg
*pics jjl5000

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Kinda Jokerish, Nore.

I was thinking more like this guy:

purple-24.jpg

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif
I googled "purple suede boot" and these came up (for men at least):
cj_clarence.jpg

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Thanks, Dave. I thought about it and have at least 2 suits with purple stripes/overchecks and gray & charcoal flannel trou to boot. My main concern was how much of the purple would be visible when standing.

You'll definitely notice the purple. Probably around 3/4 of an inch of suede shows through beneath my trousers.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, these are only a couple of degrees removed from button boots to me....

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It'll be like the grown man eggplant foams of the purple haze wallys.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Thoughts?

last is not my cuppa.

i have no problem with speed hooks. i like the look, though i'm not fond of steel eyelets with dress boots.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would shy away from a balmoral boot if you have a high instep. Due to comfort issues, I do not wear my balmoral boots as often as I imagined.

As a more comfortable alternative which might be worn more often, may I suggest ordering a balmoral shoe:
http://centipede.web.fc2.com/gandg3.html

Or a balmoral shoe but with the top portion above the balmoral line made in suede or other color

I would shy away from speed lace hooks as I found them to be burdensome and quickly ate thourgh my laces...I had them later replaced with all steel eyelets

Also ask Chay about putting 2 holes/slits through the tongue to loop your laces through, in order to ensure the tongue does not move around

Last but not least, I have found ankle height balmoral boots to be more comfortable than the higher up versions

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
I would shy away from speed lace hooks as I found them to be burdensome and quickly ate thourgh my laces...I had them later replaced with all steel eyelets

probably the quality of your laces was not good and shy away from flat laces with speed hooks. except they are waxed.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
I would shy away from a balmoral boot if you have a high instep. Due to comfort issues, I do not wear my balmoral boots as often as I imagined.

As a more comfortable alternative which might be worn more often, may I suggest ordering a balmoral shoe:
http://centipede.web.fc2.com/gandg3.html

Or a balmoral shoe but with the top portion above the balmoral line made in suede or other color

Also ask Chay about putting 2 holes/slits through the tongue to loop your laces through, in order to ensure the tongue does not move around

Last but not least, I have found ankle height balmoral boots to be more comfortable than the higher up versions

I appreciate this. I believe the ones he makes are less tall than the shannons.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Shannon II. Why not just go for that? I like to dress with a little more flair than many here but the purple seems a bit much.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yuk sound like something the joker would order

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads