• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Custom Balmoral Boot

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having met with Chay of AS I'm thinking of ordering a custom balmoral boot, similar to the Shannon II, but in black calf with a purple suede leg on the AS53 last (rightmost last in pic below) without speedhooks. Thoughts?

Shannon II

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoa. I can't say it's something I would wear, but if you pull it off it would be an attention grabber that's for sure. The biggest factor to consider is how the boots would work with your current wardrobe. I have a pair of Grensons for PS very similar to the EG Shannon above and I find even those sometimes tough to pair with an ensemble.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kinda Jokerish, Nore.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Whoa. I can't say it's something I would wear, but if you pull it off it would be an attention grabber that's for sure. The biggest factor to consider is how the boots would work with your current wardrobe. I have a pair of Grensons for PS very similar to the EG Shannon above and I find even those sometimes tough to pair with an ensemble.
Thanks, Dave. I thought about it and have at least 2 suits with purple stripes/overchecks and gray & charcoal flannel trou to boot. My main concern was how much of the purple would be visible when standing.
Originally Posted by TRINI
Kinda Jokerish, Nore.
Werd, son. Closest I've seen is dark brown with a purpleish leg*:
*pics jjl5000

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Kinda Jokerish, Nore.

I was thinking more like this guy:

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I googled "purple suede boot" and these came up (for men at least):

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Thanks, Dave. I thought about it and have at least 2 suits with purple stripes/overchecks and gray & charcoal flannel trou to boot. My main concern was how much of the purple would be visible when standing.

You'll definitely notice the purple. Probably around 3/4 of an inch of suede shows through beneath my trousers.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, these are only a couple of degrees removed from button boots to me....

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It'll be like the grown man eggplant foams of the purple haze wallys.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Thoughts?

last is not my cuppa.

i have no problem with speed hooks. i like the look, though i'm not fond of steel eyelets with dress boots.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would shy away from a balmoral boot if you have a high instep. Due to comfort issues, I do not wear my balmoral boots as often as I imagined.

As a more comfortable alternative which might be worn more often, may I suggest ordering a balmoral shoe:
http://centipede.web.fc2.com/gandg3.html

Or a balmoral shoe but with the top portion above the balmoral line made in suede or other color

I would shy away from speed lace hooks as I found them to be burdensome and quickly ate thourgh my laces...I had them later replaced with all steel eyelets

Also ask Chay about putting 2 holes/slits through the tongue to loop your laces through, in order to ensure the tongue does not move around

Last but not least, I have found ankle height balmoral boots to be more comfortable than the higher up versions

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
I would shy away from speed lace hooks as I found them to be burdensome and quickly ate thourgh my laces...I had them later replaced with all steel eyelets

probably the quality of your laces was not good and shy away from flat laces with speed hooks. except they are waxed.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
I would shy away from a balmoral boot if you have a high instep. Due to comfort issues, I do not wear my balmoral boots as often as I imagined.

As a more comfortable alternative which might be worn more often, may I suggest ordering a balmoral shoe:
http://centipede.web.fc2.com/gandg3.html

Or a balmoral shoe but with the top portion above the balmoral line made in suede or other color

Also ask Chay about putting 2 holes/slits through the tongue to loop your laces through, in order to ensure the tongue does not move around

Last but not least, I have found ankle height balmoral boots to be more comfortable than the higher up versions

I appreciate this. I believe the ones he makes are less tall than the shannons.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Shannon II. Why not just go for that? I like to dress with a little more flair than many here but the purple seems a bit much.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yuk sound like something the joker would order

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.