• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Curtains don't match the drapes - please recommend high quality curtains/drapes

ihavezippers

Reaction score
Please recommend high quality curtains/drapes and/or sellers thereof. I've looked at Bed Bath and Beyond, Overstock, Country Curtains, and Kohls and haven't been impressed with the quality.

I am looking for white/cream "blackout" style curtains similar to the style from this link: http://www.touchofclass.com/ultimate-blackout-grommet-panel-56-x-84/p/P468-001/. I'd like to see them in person before I buy, so I want to purchase from a physical store and not online. I'm in the DC area. Thanks

FunLovinStyle

Reaction score
Ugh, I just went through this. The bottom line is that it's impossible to find effective blackout curtains in white/cream that aren't made of yucky plastic-like materials. It seems that the materials that generally make for a good curtain are mutually exclusive of the materials that are good at blocking light. Of course, darker fabric will block more than lighter fabric, so if you were looking for a darker color curtain you might be able to find a reasonable compromise. I was unable to find a reasonable comprise in white/cream after buying dozens of panels from all the stores you mentioned.

I ultimately decided to go with two layers: a layer facing the room made of the materials I liked in the color I liked, plus a simple low-profile vinyl roll-up shade mounted in the window frame. It's not ideal, but it was the best I could find after 2 months of looking.

Interestingly, I found that JC Penny has a very good selection of curtains! (I was referred there by a friend; I never would have imagined it.) The panels I wound up with are Royal Velvet "Grandeur" in ivory. They are significantly nicer than anything I found anywhere else.

Here's the link: http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom//for...|&currentDim=Brand&currentDimVal=royal+velvet

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any insight on who makes really nice roller shades? I want to replace the shades in my house and finally get rid of the stuff that the previous owner had installed.

resthuishi

Reaction score
too,I want to replace the shades in my house and finally get rid of the stuff that the previous owner had installed.
kiz3I6

Last edited:

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any insight on who makes really nice roller shades? I want to replace the shades in my house and finally get rid of the stuff that the previous owner had installed.

Blinds and shades are items where the higher-quality stuff is rarely available without going through a designer or dealer (and is often custom-order only). Stuff like Graber is miles ahead of the junk you'll find at Home Depot, but you have to look a little harder to find it. I'll have to see if I can dig up the list of high-end shade manufacturers. It's been a while since I looked into it.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dug up that info and Hunter Douglas was the one I was thinking of. Oddly enough, they are available through custom order from Home Depot. What I don't know is Hunter Douglas makes a lower line of shades for Home Depot that is not as good as what you would get through a designer or other trade representative.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh awesome, I'll further check into it at the depot. Thanks for your help!

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know how high-end you're looking, but blinds.com has pretty good pricing and a very wide selection. They will send you sample fabric swatches for free or for minimal cost. They sell products from many different brands, including a budget house brand. I can't personally vouch for their quality and/or accuracy as I have continued to delay most of my blind purchases and did end up buying for my most immediate needs some surprisingly decent venetians from Ikea that happened to fit my windows. But I did go a bit down the road ordering samples etc. from blinds.com and found them to be far, far better for cost than Next Day Blinds (though I'm not sure if NDB is in your area - they are regional but perhaps not regional enough for you up in, IIRC, Jersey).

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks fellas, I plan to investigate a few options. My main concern is the hardware, which appears to be insubstantial on many blinds, restoration at least, generally speaking, has that right most of the time, however they seem fairly pricey for what they are.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics