• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cursed clothes

alchimiste

Reaction score
The pants I (tried to) wear today seem cursed. The first time I wore them I dropped food in my lap (thanks to very roomy economy class seats). I picked them up at the drycleaners on Saturday and wore them today... for 15 minutes (i.e. until I tripped and ended up with grass stains at the knees). So I basically wore these pants once and they are on their way to the cleaners for the second time. I am not particularly clumsy (when I wear other pants that is).
Do you too have any clothes with some sort of a curse?

Mathieu

cuffthis

Reaction score
I have a pair of cufflinks that have really bad Karma to them. At various times when wearing them, I have 1) been in a bad car accident, 2) fallen down my center hall steps, 3) lost my biggest client over what amounted to be an extremely immaterial mistake, and 4) ended up in the hospital emergency room with a severe allergic reaction when cleaning them with my normal silver cleaning agent. All of these occurances happened within 6 months of me purchasing these cufflinks and all were when I was wearing them. Since then, I have not worn (or even touched) them ever again. That was in 1995. Anybody wanna buy them? Make you a really good deal..............................
crazy.gif

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a necklace with a small pewter numerogly tablet on it that was bought for me in a small Mexican village. I only wore the necklace twice and both times I got into major trouble at school, and on one occasion was almost hit by a car. The necklace sat for many years and I just threw it out three years ago. Things have been going very well since...

A.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Façonnable linen pants that every time I have worn, something has gone wrong. The worst happened while chatting with a very lovely woman one night and accidentally dumping half a rye and coke on my crotch while wearing them.

Do you know what dried rye looks like on linen pants? Thank God it was dark in the bar.

I'm not a superstitious man so I'll give them one more go this summer but if something bad happens I burn them the next morning.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was working on a fairly major commercial leasing transaction, a 'handshake deal",and was preparing  the lease. I was wearing a pair of Charvet yellow silk knots for the first time. Unexpectedly the phone rang and, to my amazement, the prospect had changed his mind. The next time I wore these same silk knots, another deal went south as soon as I got to the office. Obviously they're sitting on the drawer (you don't want them, so don't PM me). Good things seem to happen when I wear the "bullshead" two-tone silk knots, though.

I brokeup with my fiancee in college on New Years Eve, with my girlfriend in the mid-'70s on New Years Eve, and my first wife and I split up on New Year's Eve. Coincidence? My second wife and I have now been married through 15 New Year's Eves (which is how I count the length of a relationship).

StagRaven

Reaction score
Anybody wanna buy them? Make you a really good deal..............................
crazy.gif
cuffthis- what do they look like? are they one of your vintage pairs that could have a story befitting such an unlucky item? would make a good story to tell in their ebay auction.
laugh.gif

cuffthis

Reaction score
(cuffthis @ April 24 2005,23:04) Anybody wanna buy them? Make you a really good deal..............................
crazy.gif

cuffthis- Â what do they look like? are they one of your vintage pairs that could have a story befitting such an unlucky item? would make a good story to tell in their ebay auction. Â
laugh.gif

They are double-sided hammered sterling with black enamel accents, c. 1920. A very attractive pair, but I refuse to go near them, and I do not consider myself a superstitious person. Like most of my pairs, I remember who I bought them from. This pair came from an elderly widow in Boise, Idaho who responded to my classified ad in an antique journal. I used to advertise in all the antique magazines looking for cufflinks. She told me they were her husband's. She sent me all of his cufflinks and these were the only ones I kept, as the others were either duplicates of ones already in my collection or not desirable to me. I remember her to be a pleasant, charming person. Strange, but true story.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No clothing that does nasty things to me, just a beautiful pair of pale yellow wool trousers with a light rib that gets dirty just about every damned time I wear them. And it's not just a spill or something mundane; instead, it's cars splashing me (which otherwise has never happened to me in my life), my daughter suddenly plopping her snirt-encrusted shoes on my lap (which she never does otherwise), colored chalk getting on them when I haven't touched colored chalk all day...the list goes on. Somebody "up there" doesn't like these pants.

marc37

Reaction score
Every time l wear a certain pair of shoes it rains heavily; even when it is not forcast to rain.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody wanna buy them? Make you a really good deal..............................
crazy.gif
Yes. I figure what you might consider bad luck might actually be relatively good luck for me. I wish I could isolate my horrible luck to a specific set of cufflinks. I've zigged and zagged, yet bad luck seems to follow me around like a lovestruck crush.

guitone

Reaction score
I try to think this is just the aging process, but since (for the past four years) I have been with my current lady I have had one bladder surgery (a few months after meeting), 3 knee surgeries, and a prostate surgery. I have thought about this but feel that at 50, when these things started, it was an age thing...sure hope it is over as I am recuperating from that darn prostate surgery right now, and that was not a fun experience, but there was good news.......

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first time a wore a new pair of navy emporio armani slacks, someone dropped ranch dressing on them. The second time I wore them, I dropped taco bell on them (I almost never spill.). While waiting to take them to the cleaners for the second time, I accidently mixed them up with my laundry and washed them, causing them to shrink considerably.
sad.gif

Cliff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StagRaven,April 24 2005,20:52
Originally Posted by cuffthis,April 24 2005,23:04
crazy.gif

cuffthis- Â what do they look like? are they one of your vintage pairs that could have a story befitting such an unlucky item? would make a good story to tell in their ebay auction. Â
laugh.gif

They are double-sided hammered sterling with black enamel accents, c. 1920. A very attractive pair, but I refuse to go near them, and I do not consider myself a superstitious person. Like most of my pairs, I remember who I bought them from. This pair came from an elderly widow in Boise, Idaho who responded to my classified ad in an antique journal. I used to advertise in all the antique magazines looking for cufflinks. She told me they were her husband's. She sent me all of his cufflinks and these were the only ones I kept, as the others were either duplicates of ones already in my collection or not desirable to me. I remember her to be a pleasant, charming person. Strange, but true story.
Widow........ Â Dead husband... Hmmm..... Maybe an exorcism ? Â
tounge.gif

johnw86

Reaction score
I have a pair of Façonnable linen pants that every time I have worn, something has gone wrong. The worst happened while chatting with a very lovely woman one night and accidentally dumping half a rye and coke on my crotch while wearing them.
Are you sure it was an accident? Â
tounge.gif
(Edit: Of course, I'm assuming she's the one who dumped the drink...)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads