1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cursed clothes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by alchimiste, Apr 24, 2005.

1. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

The pants I (tried to) wear today seem cursed. The first time I wore them I dropped food in my lap (thanks to very roomy economy class seats). I picked them up at the drycleaners on Saturday and wore them today... for 15 minutes (i.e. until I tripped and ended up with grass stains at the knees). So I basically wore these pants once and they are on their way to the cleaners for the second time. I am not particularly clumsy (when I wear other pants that is).
    Do you too have any clothes with some sort of a curse?

Mathieu

2. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

I have a pair of cufflinks that have really bad Karma to them. At various times when wearing them, I have 1) been in a bad car accident, 2) fallen down my center hall steps, 3) lost my biggest client over what amounted to be an extremely immaterial mistake, and 4) ended up in the hospital emergency room with a severe allergic reaction when cleaning them with my normal silver cleaning agent. All of these occurances happened within 6 months of me purchasing these cufflinks and all were when I was wearing them. Since then, I have not worn (or even touched) them ever again. That was in 1995. Anybody wanna buy them? Make you a really good deal.............................. [​IMG]

3. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

I had a necklace with a small pewter numerogly tablet on it that was bought for me in a small Mexican village. I only wore the necklace twice and both times I got into major trouble at school, and on one occasion was almost hit by a car. The necklace sat for many years and I just threw it out three years ago. Things have been going very well since...

A.

4. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior member

Sounds as if some of you should have gotten in on the eBay lucky slipper opportunity....Cuffthis, I bet you could safely wear those cuff links with these slippers. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....02&rd=1 Bic

5. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I have a pair of Façonnable linen pants that every time I have worn, something has gone wrong. The worst happened while chatting with a very lovely woman one night and accidentally dumping half a rye and coke on my crotch while wearing them.

Do you know what dried rye looks like on linen pants? Thank God it was dark in the bar.

I'm not a superstitious man so I'll give them one more go this summer but if something bad happens I burn them the next morning.

6. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

I was working on a fairly major commercial leasing transaction, a 'handshake deal",and was preparing  the lease. I was wearing a pair of Charvet yellow silk knots for the first time. Unexpectedly the phone rang and, to my amazement, the prospect had changed his mind. The next time I wore these same silk knots, another deal went south as soon as I got to the office. Obviously they're sitting on the drawer (you don't want them, so don't PM me). Good things seem to happen when I wear the "bullshead" two-tone silk knots, though.

I brokeup with my fiancee in college on New Years Eve, with my girlfriend in the mid-'70s on New Years Eve, and my first wife and I split up on New Year's Eve. Coincidence? My second wife and I have now been married through 15 New Year's Eves (which is how I count the length of a relationship).

7. StagRaven

StagRaven Well-Known Member

cuffthis- what do they look like? are they one of your vintage pairs that could have a story befitting such an unlucky item? would make a good story to tell in their ebay auction. [​IMG]

8. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

(cuffthis @ April 24 2005,23:04) Anybody wanna buy them? Make you a really good deal.............................. [​IMG]
    cuffthis- Â what do they look like? are they one of your vintage pairs that could have a story befitting such an unlucky item? would make a good story to tell in their ebay auction. Â [​IMG]
    They are double-sided hammered sterling with black enamel accents, c. 1920. A very attractive pair, but I refuse to go near them, and I do not consider myself a superstitious person. Like most of my pairs, I remember who I bought them from. This pair came from an elderly widow in Boise, Idaho who responded to my classified ad in an antique journal. I used to advertise in all the antique magazines looking for cufflinks. She told me they were her husband's. She sent me all of his cufflinks and these were the only ones I kept, as the others were either duplicates of ones already in my collection or not desirable to me. I remember her to be a pleasant, charming person. Strange, but true story.

9. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

No clothing that does nasty things to me, just a beautiful pair of pale yellow wool trousers with a light rib that gets dirty just about every damned time I wear them. And it's not just a spill or something mundane; instead, it's cars splashing me (which otherwise has never happened to me in my life), my daughter suddenly plopping her snirt-encrusted shoes on my lap (which she never does otherwise), colored chalk getting on them when I haven't touched colored chalk all day...the list goes on. Somebody "up there" doesn't like these pants.

10. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Every time l wear a certain pair of shoes it rains heavily; even when it is not forcast to rain.

11. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

Yes. I figure what you might consider bad luck might actually be relatively good luck for me. I wish I could isolate my horrible luck to a specific set of cufflinks. I've zigged and zagged, yet bad luck seems to follow me around like a lovestruck crush.

12. guitone

guitone Well-Known Member

I try to think this is just the aging process, but since (for the past four years) I have been with my current lady I have had one bladder surgery (a few months after meeting), 3 knee surgeries, and a prostate surgery. I have thought about this but feel that at 50, when these things started, it was an age thing...sure hope it is over as I am recuperating from that darn prostate surgery right now, and that was not a fun experience, but there was good news.......

13. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

The first time a wore a new pair of navy emporio armani slacks, someone dropped ranch dressing on them. The second time I wore them, I dropped taco bell on them (I almost never spill.). While waiting to take them to the cleaners for the second time, I accidently mixed them up with my laundry and washed them, causing them to shrink considerably. [​IMG]

14. Cliff

Cliff Senior member

Originally Posted by StagRaven,April 24 2005,20:52
    Anybody wanna buy them? Make you a really good deal.............................. [​IMG]
    cuffthis- Â what do they look like? are they one of your vintage pairs that could have a story befitting such an unlucky item? would make a good story to tell in their ebay auction. Â [​IMG]

They are double-sided hammered sterling with black enamel accents, c. 1920. A very attractive pair, but I refuse to go near them, and I do not consider myself a superstitious person. Like most of my pairs, I remember who I bought them from. This pair came from an elderly widow in Boise, Idaho who responded to my classified ad in an antique journal. I used to advertise in all the antique magazines looking for cufflinks. She told me they were her husband's. She sent me all of his cufflinks and these were the only ones I kept, as the others were either duplicates of ones already in my collection or not desirable to me. I remember her to be a pleasant, charming person. Strange, but true story.
    Widow........ Â Dead husband... Hmmm..... Maybe an exorcism ? Â [​IMG]

15. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

Are you sure it was an accident? Â [​IMG] (Edit: Of course, I'm assuming she's the one who dumped the drink...)

16. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

It might be a better story had she done the dumping but I have to admit that I was the leaden fingered culprit...or where the pants the culprit?

17. joseanes

joseanes Senior member

I have an ecru (color) shirt that is prone to spilling coffee on it. Four times during the last six months, I have spilled coffee just before the customer meetings. Maybe the color attracts coffee. Or maybe I am too clumsy.

18. timekeeping

timekeeping Well-Known Member

you need to wear that pair more often to help with the terrible drought we are having right now. [​IMG]