• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Current State of Hilditch & Key

DrewMill

Reaction score
H&K is running their annual summer sale, and the multi-buy offer seems pretty good. I've never tried these shirts before. I typically buy Harvie & Hudson, but H&K seems to have a bit more variety in RTW. I've also recently tried Spier & Mackay MTO and Cordone 1956, and like them both. The reviews for H&K seem to vary wildly from "one of the great shirtmakers" to "cheap and not what they used to be". Does anyone have any recent experience with H&K (in the past year or so)? I'd love to get an idea of where they currently stand. Thanks!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The few I own I bought about 8-9 years ago and they still wear well. I don’t abuse my shirts, wash them in gentle, line dry and iron them myself. I cannot comment on the quality now, but am pleased with them.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H&K is running their annual summer sale, and the multi-buy offer seems pretty good. I've never tried these shirts before. I typically buy Harvie & Hudson, but H&K seems to have a bit more variety in RTW. I've also recently tried Spier & Mackay MTO and Cordone 1956, and like them both. The reviews for H&K seem to vary wildly from "one of the great shirtmakers" to "cheap and not what they used to be". Does anyone have any recent experience with H&K (in the past year or so)? I'd love to get an idea of where they currently stand. Thanks!

I have a bespoke pattern with H&K and ordered new shirts 3 years ago only to find out they implemented cost cutting measures. The soft unfused collars are no longer standard and must be requested and they shortened the amount of fabric being used for the length of the shirts. I would stay away from their RTW shirt offering unless you are getting a great deal. The fused sleeves and collars will shrink over time making the shirt uncomfortable to wear.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[/QUOTE

My most recent purchase was online about three years ago.
I also own H & H, but those are over 10 years old.
I would say that H &K is superior to H &H. I buy H& K
because the contemporary fit fits me very well. I also like
their heavy oxford cloth. Another suggestion is Cordings.
They are a bargain. I specially like their "country shirts".
However, the cut is very full even for me who wears 44/46 jackets.
This being said, I own a Turnbull and Asser that is over 25 years
old and shows no wear and a Drakes that is about 15 years old
which I love. Unfortunately, the current RTW Drakes in my
size wouldn't fit across the chest. Caveat: I do not wear dress
shirts regularly anymore, so durability is not an issue.

Last edited:

DrewMill

Reaction score

Thanks! Sounds like we’re in the same boat. I typically wear a 46 jacket. The Drake’s 17.5 regular fit just fits me. I’ve been curious about Cordings for a while now too. Thanks for the info. Any experience with their suits?
I’ll give the H&K contemporary fit a try too.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Sounds like we’re in the same boat. I typically wear a 46 jacket. The Drake’s 17.5 regular fit just fits me. I’ve been curious about Cordings for a while now too. Thanks for the info. Any experience with their suits?
I’ll give the H&K contemporary fit a try too.

Cordings Suits? I am a natural shoulder fanatic. Cordings suits/sport coats are very
British "country style" with built up shoulders. Inexpensive. Not for me.
Their Picadilly store is a pleasure to visit: wide selection and knowledgeable staff.
When I was there I kind of expected to see Terry Thomas in a British Warm and a bowler
checking out the plus fours.

Last edited:

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score
Are the standards still the same since this thread has been started? If you had to price these, then what would you pay for them?

I was very fortunate to get the deals on their dress shirts as they've got a factory second sale. Sure they're factory seconds, but literally the flaws are invisible to the naked eye, literally like a thin line in a different thread causing it to go from its retail value of £180 down to £10. I got most of their size 16 collar shirts as they're posted, but they still got a lot on there and seemed to be listing 16.5 collar shirts now in factory second condition. They're listed on eBay on their store.

I find the quality of their shirts at least to my standards to be very good. But again, I'm no shirt guru, I do not really understand too much about shirt construction, other then the fit, feel and mother of pearl buttons. Since their sale, I finally got a white dress shirt, which was never in my wardrobe so finally got a staple item in what I think is great quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads