1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Current Quality of Church's Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Roger, Jan 24, 2007.

1. justsayno

justsayno Senior member

That's disappointing... Sounds like a Cost cutting measure

2. katastrofa

katastrofa Well-Known Member

I've been to Church's store today and the personnel assured me that the MTO programme is alive and kicking.

3. BatmanEsq

BatmanEsq Well-Known Member

I'd second this opinion. I made a visit to their Northampton factory, and was incredibly disappointed with what they had on offer. The quality of materials was shocking - so much so that I had to ask the assistant in their factory shop if the shoes on sale were apprentice practise samples!

Needless to say, my comment didn't go down too well...

4. sputnikmoment

sputnikmoment Member

Hi, not sure if this should be posted here but here goes: i just bought a pair of Church's called Coppice. However i cant seem to find any info about it online. It's from an outlet though. Just wondering if it's discontinued or what? Thanks!

5. Silhouette

Silhouette Senior member

Greetings.

I'd like to revive this thread and I hope that there still are some subscribers who take an interest in the development of Church's shoes.

My involvement with Church's began as of recently when I made my first acquisition of a pair of Westburys in calf leather. £170 GBP from Ebay as opposed to £380 (current price on Herringshoes.co.uk) and probably more expensive in retail in Sweden.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should be head over heels over this deal seeing as the shoes fit great IMO <- Please dispute this if you from the pictures can derive another point of wiew. I am disappointed though because when I tried these on, several loud cracks became appearent and from now on when I walk in these my right shoe makes the reknown "squish, squash, squish, squash" noise. Take a close look at picture #4 and tell what to make of it.

Do anyone have any suggestion what could've gone wrong and could anyone propose a solution? Is it me who 'raped' the shoes or is it the construction that can be critized?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  6. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

As far as I know, the only thing to do is to take them to a Church's store, or, failing that, a good cobbler. The same thing happened to several pairs of my Church's: it's a construction fault and it's one of several reasons I haven't bought them for years.

7. katastrofa

katastrofa Well-Known Member

And they cost £180? Now you know why.

8. Silhouette

Silhouette Senior member

I think you're missinterpreting the whole situation. These shoes were auctioned as brand new and not seconds. There were no visible fault on the shoes nor any sign of wear. If Church's had manufactured shoes which were known to be faulty and sold these to retailers then this is a manufacturers issue as it will damage the brand. To simply dismiss my post as 'you get what you pay for' is arrogant and uneducated. I don't know if it's envy on your part.

I can either file a complaint to Church's or to the seller as it was within reason for me to believe that these weren't flawed, regardless of which price I paid in the end.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  9. green garden

green garden Senior member

Hi, I'm re-posting this question I originally posted in the Allen Edmonds thread for some help from you guys as well:

"Need some sizing help. I have a friend in Asia who is asking me to get him a pair of AE McTavish. He doesn't know his US size. His only point of reference for me is that he wears a 9.5F on a Church's Capital. Any Church expert out there? Thanks!"

10. thelonius

thelonius Senior member

Belatedly thought to check out the Church threads. I have only one pair of Church's double leather soled brogue Brooklands. They were around £260 in 2013, bought new from the factory shop in Northampton. They're not seconds, but were reduced in price - never really understood why. They're very average looking, but comfortable and I'm getting a lot of wear out of them. For your case, I can't tell what is wrong with the pair you bought from the photo IV, but given the conditions of purchase and price, the fact that you don't know the history of the shoes, it seems that what you can (probably already have done) do depends on your budget, but to "file a complaint to Church's" as you say is probably not one of your choices. I doubt if any manufacturer would consider itself liable for any products sold second hand on Ebay. The first thing I would do is to complain to the Ebay seller, and pursue this avenue as much as you have the stamina for, because it's happening more and more. Products gettiing out, we don't know how (faulty stuff put under benches and spirited away at the end of the day), which may be new but should never have been sold in the first place. If this results in nothing, if you have the possibility, you could just send them back to the Church's factory in St James, Northampton, telling them the problem, and asking for some sort of renovation (but to email you a quote first). However, postage costs both ways should be taken into account. Otherwise, and probably the cheapest and best solution, find a good repair person near you to look at them and repair if possible. Othewise, put them in the trash bin and think 5 times before buying anything on Ebay again.

Actually, as you last posted in August 2013, I'd be very interested to know what happened, in a back to the future sort of way.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  11. clarkyin

clarkyin Well-Known Member

12. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

As far as I'm aware, that line hasn't been in production for 10 years, maybe longer.

13. clarkyin

clarkyin Well-Known Member

Dang what a shame! Thanks for the response! I'll see if I will buy this in the future I just wish I can try them on.

14. Faisal Haq

Faisal Haq New Member

Hi, I bought a pair of Coppice shoes from the outlet just outside Florence recently. Like you I could not find any information about this model online, except for one person on Reddit who also says he bought them at an outlet. I am very happy with them, especially after a mirror shine they look spectacular, however I am starting to wonder whether Church's has a separate line for its outlet stores. If this is the case then do these shoes have an inferior construction to their other lines? Anyone have any comments?