1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Current opinions on Dege/Whittaker bespoke shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by voxsartoria, Sep 30, 2009.

1. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Like Will points out: why does it matter so long as you can make the initial trip? Every now and then I get fabric swatches in the mail and they send me stuff whenever I ask for it.

With local options skyrocketing in price, Paris and Italy seem incredibly attractive these days.

I recall you were a fran of the work of Michael Korn, the shirt salesman at Arnys who resembles Tobias Fuenke. Have you considered a relationship with him? Shirts were a bit cheaper than Matuozzo -- only 550 euros.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

I guess it depends on personal preferences and what you want from your shirtmaker. For me, the first few fittings were important to set up the pattern, and having a somewhat local maker is good for that.

100% agreed. I had two fittings in Naples before they completed my first shirt. I would be much more likely to stick to domestic choices if that hadn't been possible.

But if all you want are the same dress shirts, then a remote swatch service would seem to work well.

Yep. It would kill me to have one slightly different from another without a really good reason. One of these days, I will get a proper formal shirt, though.

I recall you were a fran of the work of Michael Korn, the shirt salesman at Arnys who resembles Tobias Fuenke. Have you considered a relationship with him? Shirts were a bit cheaper than Matuozzo -- only 550 euros.

Nah. I don't need many more shirts now. I have enough Matuozzo shirts so that I only wear each once a month. If I only buy two or three a year, I'll always be well-stocked.

Still, if the prices ever become truly outrageous and I have to buy a lot of shirts, I would strongly consider Charvet. We'd be shirt buddies.

3. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

100% agreed. I had two fittings in Naples before they completed my first shirt. I would be much more likely to stick to domestic choices if that hadn't been possible.

Two is about right, and then you need not see the maker again unless (until?) you gain or lose ten pounds.

4. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Have you asked your tailor Edwin for a recommendation?

It seems like you have a longstanding relationship with him as a tailor and he would know your tastes and patterns as well as anyone but yourself.

Does Steed have a recommended shirtmaker?

5. mafoofan

Two is about right, and then you need not see the maker again unless (until?) you gain or lose ten pounds.

The beauty of getting shirts made in Naples is that you're guaranteed to have several extra pounds on you at the time.

6. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

The beauty of getting shirts made in Naples is that you're guaranteed to have several extra pounds on you at the time.

Matt- were you able to do those two fittings in the same trip? How far apart?

7. mafoofan

Matt- were you able to do those two fittings in the same trip? How far apart?

If I recall, a two or three days apart. Of course, I scheduled in advance.

8. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Does Steed have a recommended shirtmaker?

Steed offer MTM shirts...and he likes Budd.

I want a bespoke shirt, though. Budd do not travel.

- B

9. kngrimm

kngrimm Senior member

So, wait, just to clarify...

Do you think 600-700 euros is a good value for a Matuozzo shirt? $800-1000 for the same thing you were getting for almost half the price two years ago?

Are you really going to make that argument?

10. voxsartoria

With local options skyrocketing in price, Paris and Italy seem incredibly attractive these days.

They do...but London even more, if we are just talking about price.

At any rate, the price for experimenting with Dege doesn't seem like a lot, so I think that I'll just plunge in and see the results for myself.

- B

11. Cornellian

Cornellian Senior member

They do...but London even more, if we are just talking about price.

At any rate, the price for experimenting with Dege doesn't seem like a lot, so I think that I'll just plunge in and see the results for myself.

- B

If you do that, please keep us posted. You're a great source of information for all of us!

12. mafoofan

So, wait, just to clarify...

Do you think 600-700 euros is a good value for a Matuozzo shirt? $800-1000 for the same thing you were getting for almost half the price two years ago?

Are you really going to make that argument?

I think you're completely missing what I'm saying.

First of all, I'm not arguing that 600-700 euros isn't a lot of money. Second, I'm not questioning Kabbaz's right to charge his prices or criticizing the quality of his product (which I know little to nothing about). I have criticized him for denigrating lower-priced shirtmakers while refusing to discuss what makes his shirts better. The stupid thing is that this all started because he misunderstood a question of mine about value when I asked what a client would get from him that he wouldn't get from CEGO for a fraction of the price. He went off on how his clients don't ask questions like that because they are so wealthy that money doesn't matter to them.

I don't care how great his shirts might be, they could not possibly be worth dealing with such an egotistical blowhard. Incidentally, I do think he's full of it. I know for a fact that if you buy enough socks (five pairs will do the trick), he'll offer you a "deal" to buy one bespoke shirt (instead of whatever ridiculous minimum he supposedly imposes on his super-wealthy universe-ruling clients) at a 20% discount.

13. binge

binge Senior member

Steed offer MTM shirts...

It would also be an interesting experiment to do a couple MTM shirts with Steed, since you already have such a rapport with Edwin, and also go the bespoke route with Dege; then compare the two experiences & products.

14. voxsartoria

It would also be an interesting experiment to do a couple MTM shirts with Steed, since you already have such a rapport with Edwin, and also go the bespoke route with Dege; then compare the two experiences & products.

I don't want to break the bespoke spell with Edwin. It's not worth it.

I can that all of you guys are f*cking with my mind, with none except one having any substantive to say about Whittaker.

[​IMG]

- B

15. A Y

A Y Senior member

Is that a blanket on the horse? Is that how he got the downtown hottie?

--Andre

16. JT82

JT82 Senior member

I ordered some shirts from Whittaker while they were on tour this past spring. The fit was spot on; not "tentish" at all.

Turn-around time was a bit unreasonable in my opinion, however, and the stitching on one of the shirt plackets came undone after one wash. I returned it a few weeks ago for repairs, and will be picking it up from Whittaker while they are in D.C. later this week. I understand they've been at capacity filling a contract with a Mid East country, which likely accounts for the delay.

I haven't tried any shirtmakers state-side (athough I plan on stopping by CEGO next week while I'm in New York), so I can't compare quality. I will say that the construction appears to be better than what I've seen from H&H, and the fit is considerably better.

17. binge

binge Senior member

I can that all of you guys are f*cking with my mind, with none except one having any substantive to say about Whittaker.

Wrong cultural reference. I think Doc can back me up on this one...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

18. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't like that collar on their website. Too DKNY.

all of you guys are f*cking with my mind

Sorry, Vox, I have nothing relevant to contribute, but I do really like the collars on your current Borellis. Just sayin'.

19. tutee

tutee Senior member Dubiously Honored

But, getting back to my main question: is anyone using Whittaker now, and if so, would you be willing to share your thoughts on what the Dege shop is putting out today?

- B

sorry vox just saw this thread and replying quickly. I used Dege about 6-7 years ago and had good results with them. Shirts were nice and I was fitted at Dege in London but they were quite expensive well over $250 for me at the time. However, fit and construction wise they are nothing that Geneva NYC can't do. If you like the typical British-y shirt... you know high stiff collar in rather bolder fabrics, you would not be disappointed but for me they were nothing special. Good but nothing exceptional so I stopped. I don't care for those turnbull like fabrics in neon stripes pretty much 98% of thomas mason suff.

There was a rather impersonal feel in the air with Dege all in all. Not saying it was or is 100% the case but for me the exprience seemed slightly cold.

Again, good fit on the shirts but nothing that NYC shirtmakers cannot do. However, for my two cents I would put them well over Turnbull. My experience with T&A was certainly not good in terms of fit and quality.

At Dege and Turnbull they showed my pattern to me once but at the time I didn't understood pattern making so wasn't able to see a whole lot. If only I could see them now... oh well!

anyways, this still doesn't answer you question about Dege shirts now.

20. binge

binge Senior member

If you like the typical British-y shirt... you know high stiff collar in rather bolder fabrics, you would not be disappointed but for me they were nothing special. Good but nothing exceptional so I stopped. I don't care for those turnbull like fabrics in neon stripes pretty much 98% of thomas mason suff.

Getting back to my rascal questions. Vox, will you be primarily looking for colors/patterns that add to your existing wardrobe, or replacing shirts that you already have?