• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Current opinions on Dege/Whittaker bespoke shirts

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I used to visit NYC quite often during the week, but in the past year, almost never. When I'm there, I do not have time for teh trivial pursuits.

It's your life but I don't understand this. I order shirts about four times a year and if I see my shirtmaker once during that time, that's plenty. He sends swatches and I respond by email. With the exception of Emma Willis who doesn't travel, Paris or New York are probably better options than London at this time IMO.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
When I started with K he was merely somewhat more expensive than the alternatives. Then it became 2x, then 3x, and is now more like 4x. That all happened very, very quickly. His price doubled in less than three years.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Charvet is the best machine sewn shirt their is, next to Kabbaz.

What about Battistoni? They do more hand-stitching than either.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

As you note, B belongs in a different category. I was all set to try them once, but they said they didn't have enough time. Seemed like a good value for what you get.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
It's your life but I don't understand this. I order shirts about four times a year and if I see my shirtmaker once during that time, that's plenty. He sends swatches and I respond by email. With the exception of Emma Willis who doesn't travel, Paris or New York are probably better options than London at this time IMO.

It was mostly indecision, which is not like me.

I should have started with the shirts, then worked my way outward.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As you note, B belongs in a different category. I was all set to try them once, but they said they didn't have enough time. Seemed like a good value for what you get.

Yeah, I was very tempted, but Matuozzo lured me away. It came down to the fact that Matt had a great personal experience with Matuozzo, and I knew of no one who had used Battistoni.

For what it's worth, the workmanship looked impeccable. They have different options for hand-stitching, but it's mostly of the non-structural variety and they will outright tell you it's unnecessary. The shoulders and buttonholes are handsewn by default.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

I'm sure that there a many Continental options if live there or travel there often enough.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm sure that there a many Continental options if live there or travel there often enough.

Like Will points out: why does it matter so long as you can make the initial trip? Every now and then I get fabric swatches in the mail and they send me stuff whenever I ask for it.

With local options skyrocketing in price, Paris and Italy seem incredibly attractive these days.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most likely thing that will happen is that I'll order a batch from Whittaker in October, and then a batch from Geneva or Paris in November or December.

Then I can decide which works better for me.

- B

You should add a single MTM shirt order from say Hemrajani to the mix. I'd be curious about a 'blind' shirt fit critique between the 3. If anyone would do this, it's you old boy!
devil.gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like Will points out: why does it matter so long as you can make the initial trip? Every now and then I get fabric swatches in the mail and they send me stuff whenever I ask for it.

I guess it depends on personal preferences and what you want from your shirtmaker. For me, the first few fittings were important to set up the pattern, and having a somewhat local maker is good for that.

Shirtmakers also seem more open to unusual requests (perhaps because shirts are a bit cheaper than suits, and it's not too scary to experiment), and I sometimes take advantage of that. Having them close helps a lot with the feedback loop to get what you want. But if all you want are the same dress shirts, then a remote swatch service would seem to work well.

--Andre

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

With local options skyrocketing in price, Paris and Italy seem incredibly attractive these days.

I recall you were a fran of the work of Michael Korn, the shirt salesman at Arnys who resembles Tobias Fuenke. Have you considered a relationship with him? Shirts were a bit cheaper than Matuozzo -- only 550 euros.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
I guess it depends on personal preferences and what you want from your shirtmaker. For me, the first few fittings were important to set up the pattern, and having a somewhat local maker is good for that.

100% agreed. I had two fittings in Naples before they completed my first shirt. I would be much more likely to stick to domestic choices if that hadn't been possible.

Originally Posted by A Y
But if all you want are the same dress shirts, then a remote swatch service would seem to work well.

Yep. It would kill me to have one slightly different from another without a really good reason. One of these days, I will get a proper formal shirt, though.

Originally Posted by RJman
I recall you were a fran of the work of Michael Korn, the shirt salesman at Arnys who resembles Tobias Fuenke. Have you considered a relationship with him? Shirts were a bit cheaper than Matuozzo -- only 550 euros.

Nah. I don't need many more shirts now. I have enough Matuozzo shirts so that I only wear each once a month. If I only buy two or three a year, I'll always be well-stocked.

Still, if the prices ever become truly outrageous and I have to buy a lot of shirts, I would strongly consider Charvet. We'd be shirt buddies.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
100% agreed. I had two fittings in Naples before they completed my first shirt. I would be much more likely to stick to domestic choices if that hadn't been possible.

Two is about right, and then you need not see the maker again unless (until?) you gain or lose ten pounds.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have you asked your tailor Edwin for a recommendation?

It seems like you have a longstanding relationship with him as a tailor and he would know your tastes and patterns as well as anyone but yourself.

Does Steed have a recommended shirtmaker?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Two is about right, and then you need not see the maker again unless (until?) you gain or lose ten pounds.

The beauty of getting shirts made in Naples is that you're guaranteed to have several extra pounds on you at the time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads