1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Current opinions on Dege/Whittaker bespoke shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by voxsartoria, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

(Why I always like fabric other people selected more than my own choices? [​IMG])

Andrey

I'm guessing that those fabrics are carried by all the London makers. So a quick weblink in an e-mail to your current guy should fix that problem!

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

I really liked this photograph that bengal posted, so I'm reposting here.

Dege & Skinner - Robert Whittaker, cutting shirts with a knife:

[​IMG]

Another shot from Will's blog:

[​IMG]

- B

3. George

George Senior member

I really liked this photograph that bengal posted, so I'm reposting here. Another shot from Will's blog: [​IMG] - B
    His collar is standing off his neck.

4. voxsartoria

His collar is standing off his neck.

His head is tilted down. I've seen him several times at this point and he is always well turned out. It's a bias of mine.

A really great guy.

- B

5. George

George Senior member

His head is tilted down. I've seen him several times at this point and he is always well turned out. It's a bias of mine. A really great guy. - B
    I had to say it before someone else did! [​IMG] I have no issues, I don't expect a suits collar to stay 'glued' to the back of the neck under all circumstances. I've seen them use knives for cutting silk in the past.

6. voxsartoria

I had to say it before someone else did! [​IMG]

I have no issues, I don't expect a suits collar to stay 'glued' to the back of the neck under all circumstances.

I've seen them use knives for cutting silk in the past.

[​IMG]

I haven't asked him directly, but even after the pattern is set, I think that he still cuts almost all the collars while his apprentice and he cut the rest of the shirt.

- B

7. George

George Senior member

I haven't asked him directly, but even after the pattern is set, I think that he still cuts almost all the collars. - B
    No, I was making a general comment about seeing artisans use a knife to cut material in lieu of shears. I wasn't referring specifically to Mr Whittaker's technique.

8. voxsartoria

No, I was making a general comment about seeing artisans use a knife to cut material in lieu of shears. I wasn't referring specifically to Mr Whittaker's technique.

Right...I think most good shirtmakers still cut collars and cuffs with a knife, particularly fine fabrics.

- B

9. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Right...I think most good shirtmakers still cut collars and cuffs with a knife, particularly fine fabrics.

I did ask him: he cuts the main pieces (front, back, sleeves) with shears but uses the knife for the small bits: collar, cuffs yoke.
    With those pieces he cuts up to four layers in one go. Using shears, the likelihood they could shift while the fabric gets
    lifted by the shears' blade is too great.

The knife is not a rotating one, but has a paddle-shaped blade, sharpened on both sides.

10. voxsartoria

11. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

- B

+1. Geneva certainly does.