• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Current Bankers: Appropriate Analyst Attire (Bulge B)

dbush440

Reaction score
What would classify as stature appropriate attire for an IB analyst?
-Are subtle cufflinks/silk knots ok?
-Are blue shirts/white collar, worn once in a while alright?

Also, what do you think of Blackstone Tailoring. www.blackstonetailoring.co.uk
Those prices seem cheap for bespoke.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbush440
What would classify as stature appropriate attire for an IB analyst?
-Are subtle cufflinks/silk knots ok?
-Are blue shirts/white collar, worn once in a while alright?

Also, what do you think of Blackstone Tailoring. www.blackstonetailoring.co.uk
Those prices seem cheap for bespoke.

It all depends on the culture of the bank. I would stay away from contrasting collars for the first few weeks until you get a better feel of the culture. Silk knots are a better bet than flashy or "fun" cufflinks (please avoid the little chrome Porsche or the hot and cold taps for the time being...)

On your other question, calling mail-order suits made in India based on self-measurements "bespoke" should be considered a crime. These suits might very well be good suits (some here have been happy with self-measured suits made in India) but it is far from a bespoke process. That said, the prices seem to be higher (maybe even twice as high) than those I heard on this board for Indian tailors

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I worked at an I-Bank as an analyst last summer, and based on what I saw:

-Stay away from cufflinks/knots for the time being. You will get an idea of what to wear pretty fast, but they may be seen as too "showy" or flashy and its best not to give off that impression. As an analyst you are grunt, not a diamond.

-Stick to collars of the same color as the shirt. You can wear light pink shirts and stuff, just keep it simple.

Like I said, you will get an idea of what the other analysts/associates are wearing after a week, but start safe for the first week.

BDCook

Reaction score
But try not to be very different from the rest of your group.

If your group is very plain, just dress well without being flashy. If you're in a better dressed group, feel free to wear french cuffs everyday.

i work in a pretty casual group, but I still wear french cuffs 1 or 2 times per week.

I also have no problem wearing colors like pink, but i haven't worn contrast collar/cuff (mostly because its too bold for me..doesn't look good on me).

Its really based on your group.

sloaney

Reaction score
It might just seem a little pathetic to be wearing silver cufflinks and contrasting white collar shirts if you are toiling all night, everyday. It's a look more suitable for a star trader who is out of the office by 4pm. For junior bankers, I think very conservative, well-fitted and very high quality, plain or striped shirts would be attractive options.

BDCook

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloaney
It might just seem a little pathetic to be wearing silver cufflinks and contrasting white collar shirts if you are toiling all night, everyday. It's a look more suitable for a star trader who is out of the office by 4pm. For junior bankers, I think very conservative, well-fitted and very high quality, plain or striped shirts would be attractive options.

Star traders are NOT out early, unless you're talking about the equity side.

The fixed income side is definitely not IBD hours, but its still 6:30 to 6 everyday.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just don't look like your going to a club or trying to hard to be Mr. Big Nuts and you should do just fine.

Spencer Young

Reaction score
My IB friends have mentioned that in some banks' cultures, you 'earn' the right to wear certain things, and it's considered a faux pas to wear cufflinks or suspenders before your time/position. Just wait it out and see what others are doing; you can always dress better than them without adding anything - better fit, fabrics, etc are less likely to draw the attention that cufflinks would but still give the well-dressed vibe.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
My IB friends have mentioned that in some banks' cultures, you 'earn' the right to wear certain things, and it's considered a faux pas to wear cufflinks or suspenders before your time/position.

And here I was thinking that wearing pants earnt you the right to wear suspenders (braces, if you will!)...

(EDIT: If you're a QC in full ceremonial attire, you have the right to wear both!)

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear what you'll feel comfortable in. Suspenders are much more comfortable than a belt will ever be. French cuffs look better than button.

darkoak

Reaction score
It's true the answer depends on the culture of the bank. However you should also remember that an analyst is the lowest position on the totem pole. You're there for two years then go to business school or private equity shop or elsewhere. The goal for the two years is to do real well so you gain the confidence and respect of the senior bankers, who will then make it easier for you to move to bigger and better things. Being known as the well dressed/flashy analyst who isn't all that smart or hard working is not a desired outcome. Dress neatly, not too boring, something that you feel comfortable in working 12-14 hours a day. I wouldn't wear contrast collared shirts or fancy cufflinks. Be known as the smart hard working guy.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do not (absolutely not) wear suspenders as an analyst in a bulge bracket investment bank. Braces still very much carry the Gordon Gekko trauma and they are avoided by everyone but a few MD's. You will do yourself a big disservice by wearing suspenders as an analyst. Again french cuffs are totally fine as long as the links are not flashy or silly

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What city are you going to be working in? That will help ascertain what is appropriate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads