• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Currency Exchange?

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to France on the 19th of December and am wondering what the best way to exchange dollars for Euros is? I want a way that will keep the fees to a minimum. Thanks for any help.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bank with Wells Fargo and they have a nice stash of Euros at a small percent at my local branch (along with pounds, pesos, etc.... But when I arrive in Europe I hit an atm and get euros for a very nominal fee. I never use the currency exchange booths at airports or go for hotel exchange rates.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
I am going to France on the 19th of December and am wondering what the best way to exchange dollars for Euros is? I want a way that will keep the fees to a minimum. Thanks for any help.

When I went, I went to a ATM in both paris and london. Used my ATM card, withdrew cash. I think the bank charged me a minimum fee, but I got the better exchange rate (actual bank rate, not the one the currency exchange guys set). Worked out well if your taking a lot of money. I took 100 out of each, and was not upset with the conversion. YMMV.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have a HSBC account you can exchange with no fees.

zhouyu

Reaction score
generally if your bank has branches in said country... there shouldn't be any fees or % when pulling out money from the ATM... at least its true for Citibank and HSBC...

Quatsch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by calispec
See if your bank is a member of the Global ATM Alliance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_ATM_Alliance

When I moved to Germany two years ago, I created a checking account with Bank of America before I left and moved most of my money there for this very reason. Well, the rate may or may not have been good, I can't recall, but the worst thing was the $5 (maybe $7) atm fee to use a Deutsche Bank atm at all, which I was totally unaware of. Over the course of my 6-month stay I think I paid well over $100 in atm fees. My 5-branch hometown bank actually did far better for me than Bank of America.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
TM

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many banks have programs that allow people to buy currency at a good price with no fees and sell any excess currency back at the rate it was bought at. Many banks offer associate discount programs as well, so if you know a bank employee you can get a preferential rate. I would never use an ATM or currency counter for deliverable currencies.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two bank accounts one with RBC Centura and Bank of America. I talked to someone at RBC Centura and he told me I should not exchange with them because they have outrageous fee's. It sounds like the ATM is the way to go.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
I have two bank accounts one with RBC Centura and Bank of America. I talked to someone at RBC Centura and he told me I should not exchange with them because they have outrageous fee's. It sounds like the ATM is the way to go.
There shouldn't really be any fees unless the amount of currency bought is very small. I know Bank of America employees get a very good deal when buying foreign currency -- almost the interbank rate. Being able to sell back excess currency at the same rate it was purchased at is a big bonus as well, especially when buying Euros.

paco_deluca

Reaction score
use an ATM while there. or you can order euros from your bank and have them delivered to your home.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics