• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Currency Exchange?

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to France on the 19th of December and am wondering what the best way to exchange dollars for Euros is? I want a way that will keep the fees to a minimum. Thanks for any help.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I bank with Wells Fargo and they have a nice stash of Euros at a small percent at my local branch (along with pounds, pesos, etc.... But when I arrive in Europe I hit an atm and get euros for a very nominal fee. I never use the currency exchange booths at airports or go for hotel exchange rates.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
I am going to France on the 19th of December and am wondering what the best way to exchange dollars for Euros is? I want a way that will keep the fees to a minimum. Thanks for any help.

When I went, I went to a ATM in both paris and london. Used my ATM card, withdrew cash. I think the bank charged me a minimum fee, but I got the better exchange rate (actual bank rate, not the one the currency exchange guys set). Worked out well if your taking a lot of money. I took 100 out of each, and was not upset with the conversion. YMMV.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have a HSBC account you can exchange with no fees.

zhouyu

Reaction score
generally if your bank has branches in said country... there shouldn't be any fees or % when pulling out money from the ATM... at least its true for Citibank and HSBC...

Quatsch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by calispec
See if your bank is a member of the Global ATM Alliance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_ATM_Alliance

When I moved to Germany two years ago, I created a checking account with Bank of America before I left and moved most of my money there for this very reason. Well, the rate may or may not have been good, I can't recall, but the worst thing was the $5 (maybe $7) atm fee to use a Deutsche Bank atm at all, which I was totally unaware of. Over the course of my 6-month stay I think I paid well over $100 in atm fees. My 5-branch hometown bank actually did far better for me than Bank of America.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
TM

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many banks have programs that allow people to buy currency at a good price with no fees and sell any excess currency back at the rate it was bought at. Many banks offer associate discount programs as well, so if you know a bank employee you can get a preferential rate. I would never use an ATM or currency counter for deliverable currencies.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two bank accounts one with RBC Centura and Bank of America. I talked to someone at RBC Centura and he told me I should not exchange with them because they have outrageous fee's. It sounds like the ATM is the way to go.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
I have two bank accounts one with RBC Centura and Bank of America. I talked to someone at RBC Centura and he told me I should not exchange with them because they have outrageous fee's. It sounds like the ATM is the way to go.
There shouldn't really be any fees unless the amount of currency bought is very small. I know Bank of America employees get a very good deal when buying foreign currency -- almost the interbank rate. Being able to sell back excess currency at the same rate it was purchased at is a big bonus as well, especially when buying Euros.

paco_deluca

Reaction score
use an ATM while there. or you can order euros from your bank and have them delivered to your home.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.