• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Curling

Kevin

Reaction score
I figured I may as well make the best of another crushingly depressing western New York winter, so I joined a beginners curling league. I'm now considering quitting my job Monday to start practicing for the 2010 Olympics.

It's an absolute blast. I'd call it a game of skill and strategy somewhere between shuffleboard on ice and chess. And it's just obscure enough to provide for a great conversation starter.

Anybody else here curl?

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started curling in grade 7, and played for a bit of high school. My grandpa use to be big into curling, and golf so it's in my blood I guess. Doesn't mean I'm good at it, but I really enjoy both.
smile.gif
I could never be one of those sweater-vest and golf pant wearing rich kids.. I'm more of the Sunday morning hack 'n slasher types who's just out there to have a good time with my second hand clubs, X-out balls.

Back to curling though, it is a blast... haven't played it for years though, even though I have a curling club 2 blocks from my place.
blush.gif
I think it's one of those sports that's boring to watch, but once you get out there and play it, you realize how great it is - but then, I find football, and baseball dreadfullly boring to watch as well. Too bad I'm not even 1/64th Scot... cuz if there was ever an excuse to get kilted-up, other than Rabbie Burns Day, it's when yer curlin'!

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Isn't the Scottish one hurling? Anyway, I've never curled, but love watching it during the Olympics. While I was in college for the '02 games, CBC basically ran curling 24/7. We would go watch between classes and marvel at the sport. Good luck to you!

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to know more about curling. Where in WNY is there a beginners curling league?

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check the phone book. Or if your city has one of those community calendar books that they mail out each season, you might see one in there. Curling rinks are probably much more common in Canada than the US.

Kevin

Reaction score
Hey Dan - There's one in Rochester, but if memory serves there's also one right across the border near Niagara Falls. The clubs are always having open houses to draw in potential members; give them a call and see when the next one will be held.

Off I go to skip my team for this afternoon's match.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Isn't the Scottish one hurling? Anyway, I've never curled, but love watching it during the Olympics. While I was in college for the '02 games, CBC basically ran curling 24/7. We would go watch between classes and marvel at the sport. Good luck to you!

Hurling is actually Irish.Its played with sticks and a ball,something like lacrosse,and is incredibly brutal.
Obviously not as brutal as Amercican Football because that is 400lb men blah blah 4.6 seconds blah blah blah.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never curled even though I'm a member at a club that has several rinks dedicated to the sport. I guess I'll try it eventually.

seanchai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
Hurling is actually Irish.Its played with sticks and a ball,something like lacrosse,and is incredibly brutal.
Obviously not as brutal as Amercican Football because that is 400lb men blah blah 4.6 seconds blah blah blah.

Yep, the Scots play shinty which is like field hockey only "more brutal". Ireland and Scotland play a compromised rules match every year (maybe?) and the Irish win every time because nobody in Scotland actually plays shinty.

I love curling but it's damn hard. The only curling club on the West Coast is a few minutes from my apartment. It's a nice, kinda rundown place AND they have a bar upstairs overlooking the sheets. They have a party every spring to break the ice; they soak the brushes in acetone or something and then light them on fire and curl with the lights off.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Growing up in Minnesota we had a mandatory exposure to curling. Great game. Lots more fun once one attains the age of majority and can tip a few afterwards. The USA Olympic medalists are from a town a couple hours from me. Curling is a big deal here. And apparently catching on everywhere. I read somewhere there is a huge worldwide shortage of stones.

Who'd a thought?

Kevin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
The USA Olympic medalists are from a town a couple hours from me. Curling is a big deal here. And apparently catching on everywhere. I read somewhere there is a huge worldwide shortage of stones.

My understanding is that the granite used to make the stones is from a certain region of Wales and nowhere else, so a shortage seems plausible to me.

Are you proximate to Bemidji? It's recognized as the curling capital of the U.S. and home to the delightful Johnson sisters, the starlets of women's curling.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Yes. 'bout 2 hours away. And there are actually a couple tiny little towns here in Dakota that would vigorously (and perhaps convincingly) argue with Bemidji's claim to curling capital.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads