• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

curious, how many of you own silk pants?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm having a pair made in navy silk to go with a silk, linen, and wool borrelli jacket. Silk probably isn't the best idea for durability but I think they're gonna look pimptastic and I wanted to have a bit of fun!

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one pair, I think. Olive green. Custom job for Tripler in the early 60s. High waisted, flat front, tapered leg, cuffs.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have three pairs, Two belong to suits and one are odd trousers. Black Dupioni silk DJ, brown Dupioni silk suit and cream Dupioni silk trousers.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Three pair of Sulka RTW Dupioni: Tan, not quite Navy Blue, and Black. Purchased around 1980-1985. Rarely worn . . . but, the social function, the weather, and the alignment of stars can make wearing these trousers a sublime experience.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
Rarely worn . . . but, the social function, the weather, and the alignment of stars can make wearing these trousers a sublime experience.

lol.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
Rarely worn . . . but, the social function, the weather, and the alignment of stars can make wearing these trousers a sublime experience.

lol.

Btw, are they lined or un-lined? I would assume you'd get them un-lined.

And would anyone wear white silk pants (in the place of linen) if it was a good match to a sportsjacket?

stach

Reaction score
I have a pair of cream color silk gaberdine slacks that were a little big so I put them in the washer and dryer. This made the fabric even thicker and they have a great weight. I rarely wear them, usually for parties.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually a question just sprung to mind. I don't usually cuff my pants (I buy flat-front), but do you think I should cuff these? I wonder if they might need the extra weight at the bottom...

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I think they're gonna look pimptastic and I wanted to have a bit of fun!

Silk pants might almost be more pimptastic than the fantastic new/old TS avatar.

If you do get them, let us know how they turn out. I think trousers should have a little liveliness.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually a question just sprung to mind. I don't usually cuff my pants (I buy flat-front), but do you think I should cuff these? I wonder if they might need the extra weight at the bottom...

You may be able to get away without cuffing them if you have your tailor install heel guards. It's a thick grosgrain material meant to protect the inner cuff area from wear associated with footwear. Some tailors sew it in the back(heal) area only but I have it put all around the inner cuff. It may do the trick.

......03.jpg

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a pair of RL silk slacks in tan micro-windowpane pattern. I've had them since about 1990 and only wear them on rare, special occasions in the summertime. They are truly fantastic slacks and feel like pajamas. I wear them infrequently because I want them to last forever! I recall paying full retail for them at the RL store in DC, but did so because I was seduced by them. Definitely money well spent. I've got a few other silk-blend slacks, but they're not a special as the 100% silk ones, with their slight sheen and delicacy.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol.

Btw, are they lined or un-lined? I would assume you'd get them un-lined.

And would anyone wear white silk pants (in the place of linen) if it was a good match to a sportsjacket?

All three pair are sans lining.

Uncletoad

Reaction score
I have several silk trousers and I really like them. Zegna in taupe, Barbara in butter yellow, and black somethingorother. Really comfy and they look great walking about. All are cuffed and pleated. I''d wear white silk in a hearbeat. I tend to be pimpish in my presentation so sometimes I'm not the best benchmark.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently purchased a great pair of Brioni royal blue silk pants. Excellent!

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of silk are you guys talking about? I don't know the technical terms, but there's that soft brushed-texture silk that is often used for women's blouses, and there's the woven-type silk that is used for men's spring/summer sportscoats. You're talking about the second kind, right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads