• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

curious experience at Vass

musigny

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been a lurker for some time and just recently registered. My compliments to the collective knowledge and experience on this forum.

I recently paid a visit to the Vass store in Budapest. Clearly Vass focuses on custom shoes (or MTO or whatever you want to call it), which unfortunately wasn't an option for me as I couldn't return to pick them up for quite a while. The RTW selection was very meagre, with most shoes available in only one size (the display model).

It turned out that a London 3-eyelet derby in antique cognac actually fit me, so I bought it -- no complaints about the price. The intriguing thing was the discussion I had with them about lasts. The four shoes that were labeled U-last didn't really resemble what I've seen on the US website or at Bergdorf -- they seemed a little rounder in the toe and less chiseled. It could have been my imagination. But they were slightly more expensive, and came with the three-piece shoe trees. There were a few other shoes (including my London derby) with a more pronounced chisel and narrow toe that I thought were U-last, but I was told no, this was the "Panischer" (sp?) last. Have you heard of this? These were less expensive than the "U-last", and came with spring-loaded trees. I did ask about the F-last, but this was met with silence and a blank stare. (By the way, we were speaking English, so no problems there.)

Anyway, here is a quick digital pic of my so-called "Panischer" last shoes. You can't really see the toes too well, but you get the idea. Apologies for the poor lighting. I haven't polished them yet, so this is the original finish.

VassLondon3eye.jpg

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I sure like them! If I may ask, how much were they in Budapest?

BTW: If they are only selling what's on the floor, for immediate sale than it seems they don't have much interest in RTW immediate sales!

pkincy

Reaction score
Stunning shoes!!!

I suppose if we are going to ask the price of the shoes in Budapest we should also ask the price of the hotel room and the air ticket to get there.
smile.gif

Perry

mussel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musigny
The RTW selection was very meagre, with most shoes available in only one size (the display model).

That sucks. That means a trip to Budapest to buy some RTWs is not worth it or you have to make another trip to pick up your MTM.

lutfa

Reaction score
musigney that shoe most definately is the U Last I have several pair even the your displaying now.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you suppose if you did make a short visit to Budapest, one visit would be enough for a MTO/MTM order and just ask them to ship the finished product to the U.S.?

mussel

Reaction score
From what I've heard you must pick up your MTM order for proper fit.

musigny

Reaction score
The price for most shoes is 110000 forints, and what they call "U-last" is more, maybe 120000 or so. You get a 10% discount if you pay by cash, so in USD it ends up around $500. MTO doesn't cost all that much more, but they won't ship the shoes -- it's required that you come back to pick them up in person. Unless you're planning a long stay in Budapest (which would be very pleasurable), one trip isn't going to cut it.

I wouldn't really advise going there for RTW. To give you an idea, there were exactly four pairs of shoes in the "U-last", and five pairs in the last that I bought. (And only one of these nine pairs of shoes were in my size.) Everything else was either Peter or Budapest, neither of which I wanted. If I did go to Vass again, it would definitely be for MTO, and I'd schedule two trips. It's not very cost-effective, but Budapest is a fantastic city to be in anyway.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mussel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musigny
You get a 10% discount if you pay by cash.....

I understand from prior discussion if you get the cash discount, you won't get the paper work for VAT refunds. So you either get the immediate cash discount or VAT refund later but not both. What's the VAT in Hungary? 18%?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads