1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

curious experience at Vass

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musigny, Aug 2, 2006.

1. musigny

musigny Member

Hello all,

I've been a lurker for some time and just recently registered. My compliments to the collective knowledge and experience on this forum.

I recently paid a visit to the Vass store in Budapest. Clearly Vass focuses on custom shoes (or MTO or whatever you want to call it), which unfortunately wasn't an option for me as I couldn't return to pick them up for quite a while. The RTW selection was very meagre, with most shoes available in only one size (the display model).

It turned out that a London 3-eyelet derby in antique cognac actually fit me, so I bought it -- no complaints about the price. The intriguing thing was the discussion I had with them about lasts. The four shoes that were labeled U-last didn't really resemble what I've seen on the US website or at Bergdorf -- they seemed a little rounder in the toe and less chiseled. It could have been my imagination. But they were slightly more expensive, and came with the three-piece shoe trees. There were a few other shoes (including my London derby) with a more pronounced chisel and narrow toe that I thought were U-last, but I was told no, this was the "Panischer" (sp?) last. Have you heard of this? These were less expensive than the "U-last", and came with spring-loaded trees. I did ask about the F-last, but this was met with silence and a blank stare. (By the way, we were speaking English, so no problems there.)

Anyway, here is a quick digital pic of my so-called "Panischer" last shoes. You can't really see the toes too well, but you get the idea. Apologies for the poor lighting. I haven't polished them yet, so this is the original finish.

[​IMG]

2. rnoldh

rnoldh Well-Known Member

I sure like them! If I may ask, how much were they in Budapest?

BTW: If they are only selling what's on the floor, for immediate sale than it seems they don't have much interest in RTW immediate sales!

3. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

They look beautiful to me. [​IMG]

4. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

Another one...The Philadelphia Story.

5. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Well-Known Member

Fine shoes--what kind of price in Budapest?

6. pkincy

pkincy Well-Known Member

Stunning shoes!!!

I suppose if we are going to ask the price of the shoes in Budapest we should also ask the price of the hotel room and the air ticket to get there. [​IMG]

Perry

7. mussel

mussel Well-Known Member

The RTW selection was very meagre, with most shoes available in only one size (the display model).

That sucks. That means a trip to Budapest to buy some RTWs is not worth it or you have to make another trip to pick up your MTM.

8. lutfa

lutfa Well-Known Member

musigney that shoe most definately is the U Last I have several pair even the your displaying now.

9. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

Do you suppose if you did make a short visit to Budapest, one visit would be enough for a MTO/MTM order and just ask them to ship the finished product to the U.S.?

10. mussel

mussel Well-Known Member

From what I've heard you must pick up your MTM order for proper fit.

11. musigny

musigny Member

The price for most shoes is 110000 forints, and what they call "U-last" is more, maybe 120000 or so. You get a 10% discount if you pay by cash, so in USD it ends up around $500. MTO doesn't cost all that much more, but they won't ship the shoes -- it's required that you come back to pick them up in person. Unless you're planning a long stay in Budapest (which would be very pleasurable), one trip isn't going to cut it.

I wouldn't really advise going there for RTW. To give you an idea, there were exactly four pairs of shoes in the "U-last", and five pairs in the last that I bought. (And only one of these nine pairs of shoes were in my size.) Everything else was either Peter or Budapest, neither of which I wanted. If I did go to Vass again, it would definitely be for MTO, and I'd schedule two trips. It's not very cost-effective, but Budapest is a fantastic city to be in anyway.

12. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

13. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Well-Known Member

I believe that offer has been routed by Vass.

14. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Well-Known Member

I believe that offer has been routed by Vass.

I would sumbit that deed for backfire of the year award.[​IMG]

15. mussel

mussel Well-Known Member

You get a 10% discount if you pay by cash.....

I understand from prior discussion if you get the cash discount, you won't get the paper work for VAT refunds. So you either get the immediate cash discount or VAT refund later but not both. What's the VAT in Hungary? 18%?

16. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

this is very interesting.
    if the rtw is very limited in selection at the vass store in hungary, then i wonder what the selection would be from the germany store that proposed to offer the $500+- shipped to americans?
    a few pebble grain banana lasts and a budapester in size 7 and 13?