Cummerbund-scarf

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Allen, May 9, 2011.

1. Allen

Allen Senior member

Black silk scarf tied around waist instead of cummerbund(summer event). Can it be done?[​IMG]

2. BlackShoes

BlackShoes Senior member

No, not under any circumstance.

3. dasai

dasai Senior member

I'd say if you emulate the original Subcontinental style as closely as possible, you might be able to pull it off. But the event has to be casual (as casual as black tie goes, at any rate; white dinner jackets and such), and that ought to be the only deviation from the norm. You also have to act like it's the most natural thing in the world and that you're neither going for shock value nor ignorant of what the norms are. That said, you'll probably get some weird looks, even if you argue that it's a more proper kamarband than the one that usually comes with a tuxedo. Probably not the best thing to do unless you're under 25, over 65, or super-rich.

4. Hades

Hades Member

If you are attending a pirate themed party, i don't see a problem with it

5. Allen

Allen Senior member

I'd say if you emulate the original Subcontinental style as closely as possible, you might be able to pull it off. But the event has to be casual (as casual as black tie goes, at any rate; white dinner jackets and such), and that ought to be the only deviation from the norm. You also have to act like it's the most natural thing in the world and that you're neither going for shock value nor ignorant of what the norms are.

That said, you'll probably get some weird looks, even if you argue that it's a more proper kamarband than the one that usually comes with a tuxedo. Probably not the best thing to do unless you're under 25, over 65, or super-rich.

I'm under 25 and the situation is quite casual(aka black tie optional).

6. Icehawk

Icehawk Senior member

It's pretty common now, particularly with a younger crowd, to skip the cummerbund entirely. The oldsters here won't approve if you care about that.

7. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

That was the original look, predating the cummerbund. No reason not to do it. I doubt anyone will so much as notice unless they are also a clothing geek and those will find it interesting.

8. mrjames

mrjames Senior member

you do realize that 'optional' is a euphemism for 'you will look like a dick if you don't- but by all means go ahead, look like a dick- see if I care' ?

9. DrStrangelove

DrStrangelove Well-Known Member

you do realize that 'optional' is a euphemism for 'you will look like a dick if you don't- but by all means go ahead, look like a dick- see if I care' ?
    So, according to you, the satin stripes on tux pants are optional?

10. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Senior member

So, according to you, the satin stripes on tux pants are optional?

OH SNAP!

11. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

I've done it because my real cummerbund hadn't arrived yet. Worked great, no one even noticed. It's largely covered by your jacket anyway.