• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cummerbund-scarf

Allen

Reaction score
Black silk scarf tied around waist instead of cummerbund(summer event). Can it be done?
laugh.gif

dasai

Reaction score
I'd say if you emulate the original Subcontinental style as closely as possible, you might be able to pull it off. But the event has to be casual (as casual as black tie goes, at any rate; white dinner jackets and such), and that ought to be the only deviation from the norm. You also have to act like it's the most natural thing in the world and that you're neither going for shock value nor ignorant of what the norms are. That said, you'll probably get some weird looks, even if you argue that it's a more proper kamarband than the one that usually comes with a tuxedo. Probably not the best thing to do unless you're under 25, over 65, or super-rich.

Hades

Reaction score
If you are attending a pirate themed party, i don't see a problem with it

Allen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dasai
I'd say if you emulate the original Subcontinental style as closely as possible, you might be able to pull it off. But the event has to be casual (as casual as black tie goes, at any rate; white dinner jackets and such), and that ought to be the only deviation from the norm. You also have to act like it's the most natural thing in the world and that you're neither going for shock value nor ignorant of what the norms are.

That said, you'll probably get some weird looks, even if you argue that it's a more proper kamarband than the one that usually comes with a tuxedo. Probably not the best thing to do unless you're under 25, over 65, or super-rich.

I'm under 25 and the situation is quite casual(aka black tie optional).

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Allen

It's pretty common now, particularly with a younger crowd, to skip the cummerbund entirely. The oldsters here won't approve if you care about that.

mrjames

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Allen
you do realize that 'optional' is a euphemism for 'you will look like a dick if you don't- but by all means go ahead, look like a dick- see if I care' ?

DrStrangelove

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrjames
you do realize that 'optional' is a euphemism for 'you will look like a dick if you don't- but by all means go ahead, look like a dick- see if I care' ?
So, according to you, the satin stripes on tux pants are optional?

GradSchooler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrStrangelove
So, according to you, the satin stripes on tux pants are optional?

OH SNAP!

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done it because my real cummerbund hadn't arrived yet. Worked great, no one even noticed. It's largely covered by your jacket anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads