• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Culling the Shoe Collection: stay or go?

fili123

Reaction score
Hello SF,
First post here and would really appreciate the group consensus on which pairs of shoes may be a bit dated, etc and should be parted with. Ive had some of these since 1990. Ive got my ideas of which should go but lets see what you say. Many thanks in advance.

1. Paul Stuart brown loafer
2. Churchs cap toe lace up
3. Grenson black loafer
4. Paul Stuart black loafer
5. Brooks Bros tassel burgundy loafer
6. Brooks Bros black lace up
7. Giorgio Brutini black wingtip
8. Antica Courier suede wingtip
9. Brooks Bros suede lugsole
10. Brooks Bros Chelsea boot with Dainite sole
11. Alden Indy boot

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Id cull 1, 6 and 9. Maybe 4 too as I only see the need for one pair of black pennies and 3 are so much nicer.

fili123

Reaction score
Thanks J. I certainly agree with the choice of 9 and 4. But I just like number 1 so much- really nice shoe, just might be a bit too out of style for now. Was also thinking the tassel loafer might go.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why let go?
if you like them keep and maintain them.
Id brush the suede's ... that's it!

Dated is in the eye of the beholder, and what you use them with ...

I have regretted giving away shoes to the salvation army etc ...

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems a very odd first question, clearly you have accumulated them and maintained them so what has changed?

However, why get rid of any? If you like them, wear them.

Few will look that closely at your feet.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would replace all your loafers. Also not a big fan of your Chelsea boots.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The people seem to agree on which look worst, but wear also should be considered. Any with badly worn soles (except maybe the Church's, if they're high-quality) should go, and those with iffy soles and iffy looks also should go. Edit: also consider fit, especially because feet often expand over the decades - there's no reason to hold onto footwear that doesn't fit well.

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which ones haven't you worn this year? Those should probably be at the top of your "Might want to cull these" list.

Otherwise, if they fit you, they're in decent condition (or can be easily restored to such condition), and you choose to wear them at least once in a while, keep them.

BTW, a similar system can be used to determine which suits, sport coats, pants, sweaters, etc., should be culled/kept.

southbound35

Reaction score
What size are you? I could help you cull #4. I agree that #3 is a nicer looking loafer, but I need a casual basic black penny loafer.

fili123

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies/comments SFers. I agree with most of the comments, and yes wear is a major consideration. #4, 5, 9 are in the worst shape. Ive had the burgundy tassels since 1989. The suede BB's are so comfy its hard to part even though they are pretty worn. Im suprised #1 made many a list- its such a pretty shoe, in great condition (I think I wore it maybe 20 times in the late 1990s) and just to me looks 'sharp'. But yes has a for lack of a better description, pilgrim shoe look. And Im a size 7.5-8 for southbound above:) thanks gents.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads