1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Culling neckties (New ties added)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Threadbearer, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    5 looks fine; it's like every tie my father and brother wear.
    I may have to enlist Tie #5 in this week's WAYWRN Red Challenge.

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Do it, but send him off to a better home along with matching my $5 donation. [​IMG]

3. D Yizz

D Yizz Senior member

2 and 6 are the only ones that should be worn.

The other day, you wore a purple tie similar in color to #3. What makes yours wearable and this one not? This is a question in good faith. (Sarcasm and good faith doesn't translate well in teh interwebz.)

4. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

You're a good sport if there ever was one, and I applaud your open discussion of this affliction. All of this is just IMHO. My tie tastes have evolved dramatically over the past 24 months, so I can sympathize. It might have been the weakest part of my wardrobe when I joined SF, and I thought I had GREAT ties. I think there's some truth to the notion that SF groupthink dictates a lot of tie criticism doled out on the forum these days. However, I think that the same SF groupthink tends to champion ties that are more classic and timeless, so that's not necessarily a bad thing.

[​IMG]

First, my god man, if you have ties like this what are you doing wearing those other monstrosities?! The first 5 here are classically elegant. The last couple are okay for limited applications IMHO.

I think 1, 3 are horrible; 2 is not good but on a pinch could pass (especially at night were it is not as noticeable). A rule of thumb for you is the following:

DON'T
    (1) don't buy ties that have a swirly sheen to them different to the underlying pattern (changing the angle of view to see this);
    (2) don't buy ties that have a pattern that is complex with several colors and shading (that's what kills tie #3--if it were just the rusty orange with a simple pattern (without the shading, etc.) it would have been fine.) That's why o/o's works better. The underlying orange color is uniform.
    (3) don't buy ties that are too thin and flimsy

DO:
    (1) buy ties that have simple, distinct patters or no patterns
    (2) stick to high quality, natural fibers
    (3) remember that less is more--why do you think a large-motif herringbone grey cashmere tie would exude thrills on this site? (See edmorel)...
    (4) woven tend to be nicer than printed ties

This is sound advice.

Okay, so there’s not much love for my B Team ties. But let’s take a look at them again -- this time while they’re actually on duty -- and see if anyone changes his mind. (At this point, I'm still convinced that they're all keepers.)

[​IMG]

Tie 1:
    [​IMG]

Tie 2:
    [​IMG]

Tie 2 again, different application:
    [​IMG]

Tie 3 (which took 3rd place in last week's Gray Matters Challenge):
    [​IMG]

Tie 7:
    [​IMG]

My initial thought was that these are all pretty bad. I think 6 might be alright for occasional spring use, and maybe 1 and 2 for fall/winter if you've got a complimentary tweed jacket and are feeling bold.

The reason why I quoted these particular pictures is that I think your shirt choices also worsen the effects of the dated feel of these ties. The bold stripes are pretty hard to pull off, and yours look too casual for their applications. They do not mix well with those tie patterns at all. I'd save those for khakis and casual blue SC's. If you had chosen just a simple light blue OCBD, you've got something that's acceptable even if a bit dated looking.

The last few pictures are good illustrations of the downfall of pastel shirts. I've noticed something interesting about your tendencies. You seem to have this desire to "match" the tie to the shirt or the whole ensemble. There's no need to match colors in your tie to colors of your other articles of clothing. In fact, when it's this obvious, it's rather inelegant. You commonly find this kind of combo rocked by blue-collar middle management and IT staff, and to me, these ensembles scream 1980's-1990's lower tier clothier ad campaigns. You might have better luck reserving those pastel shirts for more casual applications, or if you must, pair them with something softer and simpler and less shiny (maybe grenadines or wool/cashmere), but nothing with too colorful a pattern.

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^ really good advice, TC - and probably the longest post I have ever seen you make. [​IMG]

The other day, you wore a purple tie similar in color to #3. What makes yours wearable and this one not? This is a question in good faith. (Sarcasm and good faith doesn't translate well in teh interwebz.)

You mean this one?
    [​IMG]

Well, I thought mine was wearable, but maybe a few of you might not agree [​IMG] Its bordeaux though, not purple.

My issue with TB's, is that while the color is nice, the generic pattern and loose knit weave to the silk make it look a bit mall-brand-ish. What I have learned in my adventures in neckwear, is I gravitate towards very unique patterns - as many of you might know. This one just looks kind of - blah. Its hard to put in words, I hope that made a little sense.

6. D Yizz

D Yizz Senior member

^ really good advice, TC - and probably the longest post I have ever seen you make. [​IMG] You mean this one? [​IMG] Well, I thought mine was wearable, but maybe a few of you might not agree [​IMG] Its bordeaux though, not purple. My issue with TB's, is that while the color is nice, the generic pattern and loose knit weave to the silk make it look a bit mall-brand-ish. What I have learned in my adventures in neckwear, is I gravitate towards very unique patterns - as many of you might know. This one just looks kind of - blah. Its hard to put in words, I hope that made a little sense.
    That's the one. Truth of the matter is I may have untrained eyes, but at least in the monitor, other than TB's having a bit more of sheen, I cannot tell that one is a cheapo tie and the other one is considerably more expensive/exclusive. I have seen ties with almost an exact pattern which are not "cheap" by any means. Sure, if I had both side by side, I would choose yours because I tend to like bolder/more unique patterns like yourself and TB's looks more "generic" in the sense a lot of ties have similar patterns. If that's what you meant, I think we're both in the same page. However, I can't understand some statements of other posters to the point that the tie is "unwearable". BTW, I think the way you combine the tie can make it or break it in the sense of how it looks. I agree combining a purple tie with a lilac shirt does not help matters much, and I have to confess I committed this faux pass a lot until very recently.

7. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

You mean this one?
    [​IMG]

Well, I thought mine was wearable, but maybe a few of you might not agree [​IMG] Its bordeaux though, not purple.

My issue with TB's, is that while the color is nice, the generic pattern and loose knit weave to the silk make it look a bit mall-brand-ish.

This tie is sick.

As you say, it is not the colour of Threadbearer's tie which is the problem; pointing out that these two ties are a similar colour is completely missing the point.

8. D Yizz

D Yizz Senior member

pointing out that these two ties are a similar colour is completely missing the point.

And that's why I asked him to explain. I'm here to learn.

9. Threadbearer

However, I think that the same SF groupthink tends to champion ties that are more classic and timeless, so that's not necessarily a bad thing.
    Good point.

First, my god man, if you have ties like this what are you doing wearing those other monstrosities?!
    Spreadin' the wealth!

The reason why I quoted these particular pictures is that I think your shirt choices also worsen the effects of the dated feel of these ties. The bold stripes are pretty hard to pull off, and yours look too casual for their applications. They do not mix well with those tie patterns at all. I'd save those for khakis and casual blue SC's. If you had chosen just a simple light blue OCBD, you've got something that's acceptable even if a bit dated looking.
    Good to know, TC. Very helpful.

You seem to have this desire to "match" the tie to the shirt or the whole ensemble.
    [​IMG]

Something to work on.

There's no need to match colors in your tie to colors of your other articles of clothing.
    The underlying problem here appears to be that I don't really know how to coordinate without also harmonizing. I keep a little color wheel on my dresser, but it isn't magical, so it's not very useful. Thanks, TC. You've given me a lot to think about.

I cannot tell that one is a cheapo tie and the other one is considerably more expensive/exclusive.
    Just for the record here: That purple tie of mine cost as much as a Hober.

And that's why I asked him to explain. I'm here to learn.
    It was a great question, D. I learned a lot from it and from Spoo's response. [​IMG]

10. SpooPoker

So when is the actual culling taking place? Or has it begun? And the re harvesting of silk? Whens that? [​IMG]

11. Threadbearer

So when is the actual culling taking place? Or has it begun? And the re harvesting of silk? Whens that? [​IMG]
    First the learning, then the buying. [​IMG]

I have to admit, though, that I'm very likely to pull the trigger on these two Hobers in the near future:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Dark Red Grenadine on left; Gray Cashmere (black warp) on right.

12. TC (Houston)

First the learning, then the buying. [​IMG]

I have to admit, though, that I'm very likely to pull the trigger on these two Hobers in the near future:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Dark Red Grenadine on left; Gray Cashmere (black warp) on right.

Outstanding.

13. SpooPoker

Those are 2 good options, TB. Why no navy or brown though? I would think those are a bit more versatile for your wardrobe?

14. TC (Houston)

Those are 2 good options, TB. Why no navy or brown though? I would think those are a bit more versatile for your wardrobe?

Believe it or not, I think those are 2 that he actually has covered:

[​IMG]

15. SpooPoker

16. Threadbearer

Believe it or not, I think those are 2 that he actually has covered:
    "Believe it or not?" You had to preface that with "Believe it or not?" Damn that's cold.

[​IMG]

17. Lyricallyminded1

Lyricallyminded1 Member

18. Threadbearer

not a fan of the third one
    Yes, but which third one? There are a lot of tie photos in this thread now, gentlemen. It would be best if we all started being more specific about which ties we're commenting upon. Perhaps referring to the post number would work?

19. TC (Houston)

"Believe it or not?" You had to preface that with "Believe it or not?" Damn that's cold.

[​IMG]

LOL, I was pretty shocked when I saw those first 5. If I had your selection of ties to choose from, the first 5 are probably the ONLY ones I would wear, and I don't recall ever seeing them in ANY of your WAYWRN posts. [​IMG]

Come clean man, you've been holding out on us. All of these posts with the "1980's/Marshall's sales rack/hey look my secretary got me a tie for Xmas" ties were a setup . . .

20. SpooPoker

Bleachboy style lowball?