• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cuisinart drip coffeemaker

A.K.A.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
The thermal carafe is a good idea..... but french press or chemex is still a lot of work for everyday coffee. Maybe for weekends....

With chemex do you need to use the chemex filters, or do Melita and other mass market cone filters work OK?

I don't know the Chemex. My best buddy makes French press coffee everyday, and his cholesterol levels are through the roof, too.

Bartolo

Reaction score
This morning I got the brilliant idea to measure the water temp in the basket of my Cuisinart drip coffee maker. 190 degrees F using a candy thermometer. Not bad . . .

A.K.A.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartolo
This morning I got the brilliant idea to measure the water temp in the basket of my Cuisinart drip coffee maker. 190 degrees F using a candy thermometer. Not bad . . .

Bartolo, in the respect of friendly back and forth...

I dug out my copy of the Sept/Oct '08 Cook's Illustrated article Rating Drip Coffeemakers:

Optimal brewing temp is between 195 - 205 F, which allow the water to release from the grounds the most flavorful and aromatic compounds. The optimal brewing time is six minutes for a full 10 cups, and the water temp should be not less than 195 F when it hits the grounds. A lower temp and quicker brew cycle yields weak coffee. Too long a brew time yields a bitter product. Too hot a water temp and the coffee can be harsh and bitter. Good coffee is a mix of correct temp and proper bew time.

The Cuisinart's main drawback is that the brew temp does not hit 195 F until late in the brewing cycle.

But if you like your brew, then that is what you are accustomed to drinking. I followed the magazines recommendation and bought the Technivorm Moccamaster -- worth every penny; but then I love coffee and would sacrifice another luxury to afford this piece of equipment if I had to choose.

To the original OP, if you have a TV or stereo that costs at least $1k, or a gaming system, or some other peice of expensive entertainment equipment, then isn't a top quality coffeemaker worth this type of investment?

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.K.A.
Bartolo, in the respect of friendly back and forth...

I dug out my copy of the Sept/Oct '08 Cook's Illustrated article Rating Drip Coffeemakers:

Optimal brewing temp is between 195 - 205 F, which allow the water to release from the grounds the most flavorful and aromatic compounds. The optimal brewing time is six minutes for a full 10 cups, and the water temp should be not less than 195 F when it hits the grounds. A lower temp and quicker brew cycle yields weak coffee. Too long a brew time yields a bitter product. Too hot a water temp and the coffee can be harsh and bitter. Good coffee is a mix of correct temp and proper bew time.

The Cuisinart's main drawback is that the brew temp does not hit 195 F until late in the brewing cycle.

But if you like your brew, then that is what you are accustomed to drinking. I followed the magazines recommendation and bought the Technivorm Moccamaster -- worth every penny; but then I love coffee and would sacrifice another luxury to afford this piece of equipment if I had to choose.

To the original OP, if you have a TV or stereo that costs at least $1k, or a gaming system, or some other peice of expensive entertainment equipment, then isn't a top quality coffeemaker worth this type of investment?

Very helpful comments. In fact, I don't like the brew from the Cuisinart as much as from the Melita drip / Bodum hot water pot system we used up until we recently moved and unpacked the Cuisinart. With the "manual" drip system, I got the water to a boil and didn't let it cool off much at all, so surely I was using hotter water which I do believe made/makes better coffee. I feel that the coffee is weaker with the Cuisinart automatic drip machine, and I suspect it really is due to the cooler water temp.

Being always pressed for time in the morning, not having to brew the coffee by hand is a benefit to an automatic drip machine. I'll look into the Moccamaster.

I commented "not bad" as I thought it'd be even closer to 180.

Valproate

Reaction score
I've had this Cuisinart model for a year now, and it makes a solid cup of coffee. I grind my own beans, make 4-6 cups, and drink my coffee black.

I wish it would have an option to turn the burner completely off. As it is, I leave it at "low," and as soon as the coffee is done brewing, I pour it all into a thermos. Coffee burners do just that--burn coffee.

All in all, great value for the money.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Bought the cuisinart for xmas ($60 after coupon and rebate), no complaints after a month.

I tried the Melitta Ready Set Joe system for a while ($3 plastic one cup filter cone with #2 filters) and the coffee is good, but after a few months it was too tedious for every day use for making 2 mugs of coffee.

The cuisinart has a 1-4 cup setting which is supposed to double heat the water, so I fill the resevoir to about 5 cups and turn the burner on high. It makes two 12 oz mugs of coffee, and if I drink the 2nd cup within 30-45 mins the coffee doesn't taste burnt.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.K.A.
Fine. Guess we won't ever meet for coffee.
fight[1].gif
fight[1].gif

Aww I just saw this.
cheers.gif

A.K.A.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Aww I just saw this.
cheers.gif

Dude I haven't been posting or lurking on SF for a while, but saw your response. Cheers to you, too.

I was talking with someone the other day and we agreed that coffee is something we look forward to every day. To each his own on brewing method and degree of roast. I love the 2.5 LB. bag of Starbuck's french roast I get at Costco for around $20. A bag lasts me and the mrs. about a month.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've had a cuisinart drip coffeemaker before and they're not bad at all... over the past year though I changed to an espresso maker (krups) and do what the coffee shops call a cafe americano. personally I find the taste more pleasing than brewed drip coffee.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads