• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuffs or not on flat front business suit - conservative workplace?

Sanddog

Reaction score
I know variations on this topic have gotten a lot of air over time on this forum, but I wanted to ask a specific question. I've spent a lot of time today digging through the vast archives looking for an old thread that would provide guidance without much luck. Note that I am a total novice when it comes to fashion, so please be gentle if I am using terminology wrong.

I recently, and for the first time, purchased a couple of Italian-cut suits (1 Canali, 1 Barney's house label) -- affordable because of the massive discounts of late 2008. Now I find myself with a pair of suits with flat front pants, which I've never before owned. The jackets fit so well I want to give it a shot.

I work in finance in New York, and will primarily wear these suits to meetings. One is medium gray flannel with a brown pinstripe; the other is dark navy with light blue and brown alternating pinstripes. Should I get them cuffed or not? Given the context in which I will wear them, is going without cuffs too "flashy"? If it's meaningful, the suits are 46L, I'm going to have to have the waist let out a little, and I'm 6'2" or 6'3" and 215 with a 38-40 waist.

Again, please forgive me if the question is asinine. If I knew the answer, I wouldn't be coming to you for your collective expertise. Thanks in advance.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All my suits trou are flat front & cuffed (2") & I work for an extremely conservative company & my client is also extremely conservative.

The Q is are you comfortable, as no one will notice this.

FFS I wear 2" cuffs with no break & BT..

So the choice is yours.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some (many) will say that flat front pants should be cuffless. I disagree and generally have my suits cuffed regardless of the pleat situation. I just think they look unfinished otherwise. If your office is conservative you may want to do 1 1/2 to 1/3/4 inch cuffs with a slight break.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong n principle with this which I assume is the question you are asking. To have cuffs/turn ups is very much more complex in some people's eyes than this.

Conservative offices are completely irrelevant in this issue.

Smahatma

Reaction score
All my pants are flat front and I tend to cuff the heavier fabrics like flannel and tweed while keeping the lighter weight worsteds uncuffed.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you like. Personally, I don't like pleats or cuffs. If I'm not mistaken, flat front pants typically look better on slimmer people.

Sanddog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
Depends on what you like. Personally, I don't like pleats or cuffs. If I'm not mistaken, flat front pants typically look better on slimmer people.
This is another concern of mine, but I didn't want to launch my new StyleForum membership with 2 new threads. Since you've brought it up, though... is this a very polite way of suggesting that with my build I should rethink the flat fronts entirely? (I'm not being defensive -- it's a sincere question.) I've always heard the same thing, but I've figured if such quality suits were coming in that size in flat front, it must be ok. Is this something a good tailor can make look good on me or is it probably hopeless? (Knowing that you haven't seen the suits on.)

Lays84

Reaction score
You're tall some people prefer cuffs because it breaks the length so it doesn't make you look a lot taller.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanddog
This is another concern of mine, but I didn't want to launch my new StyleForum membership with 2 new threads. Since you've brought it up, though... is this a very polite way of suggesting that with my build I should rethink the flat fronts entirely? (I'm not being defensive -- it's a sincere question.)

I've always heard the same thing, but I've figured if such quality suits were coming in that size in flat front, it must be ok. Is this something a good tailor can make look good on me or is it probably hopeless? (Knowing that you haven't seen the suits on.)

- like most things in life it boils down to gravitas & personality, the fact that you are questioning maybe cuff one pair only for now.
- I have seen many larger men with flat fronts with cuffs & thought nothing of as they carried themselves with gravitas, then I have seen men that have the build we aspire for look lost as they have no gravitas/confidence or personality to match.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the suit fits you well, it shouldn't make a big difference. The fact is that right now flat front is in fashion more so than pleats. This should not weigh too heavily into your decision except that many of the better suits offer only flat front pants because that is what people want now. As for the cuffs, if you are still unsure, get them cuffed. You can always take the cuffs out, but if they are uncuffed the tailor will generally cut off the extra fabric which will not leave enough for cuffs if you change your mind.

sweisman

Reaction score
You should do whichever you like better. In my office most people dress on the conservative side. As much as I like fashion and appreciating others outfits when appropriate, I honestly can't tell you if any of my co-workers have cuffs or not off of the top of my head. Personally I cuff all of my flat fronts.

mdesq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sweisman
You should do whichever you like better.
+1

This really comes down to preference, since I don't think you're breaking any major rules cuff or no. I personally like cuffs & full break, on both pleated and flat (but I prefer flat because I'm skinny).

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All my pants are flat front with cuffs.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel that all suit pants should be cuffed regardless.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads