• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuffs, or no Cuffs on My New Suit?

Cuffs, or no cuffs?

• Cuffs

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • No Cuffs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The second picture has truer colour, but the stripe is actually cream, even a little bronze. The suit is charcoal, not mid grey. It shows up much lighter than it truly is in the first picture. It is still lighter than its real colour in the second picture. If I were to classify the colours as they appear in the photos, I would call the first photo on the cusp between light grey, and mid-grey. I would call the colour in the second photo at the darker end of mid-grey, but definitely still mid. So, given that, hopefully you understand my meaning when I say the true colour of the suit is smack in the middle of the charcoal range, with "would you call this charcoal, or still mid-grey" at one and and "are you sure that isn't black" at the other end.

The trousers are flat fronts, but I don't care about that rule. All of my other trousers (odd and suits) are straight hems, currently, but I am thinking cuffs might suit this suit. I will sometimes wear it without the vest.

So, cuffs, or no cuffs? Show your work!

Also, another fairly esoteric question to our English members - what tie would make this suit look its most authentically English? I'm hosting an England-Peru viewing event at a local pub on Friday, and was thinking I'd wear this suit there for the Friday Challenge. The get-up can be a bit stereotypical/costumey, as it's all in good fun, but there will be many ex-pats there, so it should be kind of right. I'm thinking of a white shirt, navy grenadine, black homburg hat, black cap toe Oxfords. I don't have a bowler, but I have a mid-grey fedora and a charcoal fedora. I also have burgundy cap toe Oxfords with broguing along the cap seam. I also have a burgundy striped tie, a burgundy tie with small sky blue dots, and a navy tie with a spaced paisley stamp pattern.

I've got something truly fancy dress up my sleeve once the World Cup kicks off. :)

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just seen this, sorry friend. I'd have gone navy grenadine for our boys 3 - 0 victory, what did you go with?

The suit want as wearable as I thought, so I just wore jeans and my England polo shirt. Have to grad to the tailor to see what it'll say me back. It's lovely enough, and such a cheap kop I'll happily invest in the tailoring, but mayhaps not until autumn. Fit now, I've got something very special, and completely absurd, for the world cup matches, themselves. Entirely fancy dress, but why not? I am the toastmaster, after all!

MisterFu

Reaction score
The second picture has truer colour, but the stripe is actually cream, even a little bronze. The suit is charcoal, not mid grey. It shows up much lighter than it truly is in the first picture. It is still lighter than its real colour in the second picture. If I were to classify the colours as they appear in the photos, I would call the first photo on the cusp between light grey, and mid-grey. I would call the colour in the second photo at the darker end of mid-grey, but definitely still mid. So, given that, hopefully you understand my meaning when I say the true colour of the suit is smack in the middle of the charcoal range, with "would you call this charcoal, or still mid-grey" at one and and "are you sure that isn't black" at the other end.

The trousers are flat fronts, but I don't care about that rule. All of my other trousers (odd and suits) are straight hems, currently, but I am thinking cuffs might suit this suit. I will sometimes wear it without the vest.

So, cuffs, or no cuffs? Show your work!

Also, another fairly esoteric question to our English members - what tie would make this suit look its most authentically English? I'm hosting an England-Peru viewing event at a local pub on Friday, and was thinking I'd wear this suit there for the Friday Challenge. The get-up can be a bit stereotypical/costumey, as it's all in good fun, but there will be many ex-pats there, so it should be kind of right. I'm thinking of a white shirt, navy grenadine, black homburg hat, black cap toe Oxfords. I don't have a bowler, but I have a mid-grey fedora and a charcoal fedora. I also have burgundy cap toe Oxfords with broguing along the cap seam. I also have a burgundy striped tie, a burgundy tie with small sky blue dots, and a navy tie with a spaced paisley stamp pattern.

I've got something truly fancy dress up my sleeve once the World Cup kicks off. :)
The suit appears to be a 3-piece and as such is a fairly busy setup (between pin-stripes,waistcoat, etc). I wouldn't cuff the pants on this outfit as it will be just a little to fussy.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two inch cuffs

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cuffed trousers hang infinitely better than uncuffed trousers. Does that make the choice easier.........

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cuff.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cuffed trousers hang infinitely better than uncuffed trousers. Does that make the choice easier.........

I understand the logical reason that this should be true, but I've honestly never found it so. I have no bias one way or the other; I tend to choose, on each pair of trousers, what I think fits the general aesthetic of how I will wear them. On these I really can't decide which I think will look better.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads