• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuffs on Corduroys?

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a pair of brown, wide wale corduroys. They are cut quite slim, though not - I hope - tight. The bottoms are unfinished. So, the question, naturally, is: turned up cuffs or no? In general, I like cuffs on my pants. Also I feel that these cords are kind of old man-ish, and old men definitely also like cuffs, so it seems to make sense. On the other hand, perhaps there is such a thing as too much of a good thing?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, cuffs are good on cords.

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hold on a second. I feel like a fool saying this, but I have a new concern. I bought these pants at a very weird-seeming designer clothing discount store. The label says "Giorgio", and underneath that "Paris - Milano." I figured this was one of the Armani lines - I know that there are various lines of Armani clothing, but I'm not really familiar with the names. Now, I'm looking at the pants and noticing that the name "Armani" does not actually appear anywhere on these pants. So, are these just cheap knockoffs? Or a reputable brand that happens to share a name with Mr. Armani? Or something in between? Or is there a line of Armani that features this labelling? The pants were $60 (heavily discounted), so even if they're not Armani they may be an OK purchase - they seem nicer than J Crew, for instance, at about the same price. Should I take them back or keep them?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like cuffs on cords, but the forum consensus seems to favor them.

If you'll actually be wearing them outside (off pavement) then dirt and dead plant matter will accumulate in the cuffs.

Do you have suitably bulky shoes to wear with wide wale cords that are cuffed?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like my cords cuffed, and happen to have on a pair now.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
I have all my trousers cuffed, but I am thinking of having my wide wale cords changed to plain bottoms as the material is so thick.

Cheers, Jim.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you can go either way with the cuffs. I have owned and worn both cuffed and non cuffed cords. The strict rule is to cuff is they are pleated and not if they are plain. I think that rule is silly and you can do whatever you like. I have no opinion on the brand, but others might. If you like them, keep them. Who cares what the brand is.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't wear cuffs, but if I did, I think they'd be splendid on corduroys.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me it depends on the thickness and weight of the fabric. These are too heavy for cuffs IMO, so I went cuffless.
20080911-1.jpg

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Hold on a second. I feel like a fool saying this, but I have a new concern. I bought these pants at a very weird-seeming designer clothing discount store. The label says "Giorgio", and underneath that "Paris - Milano." I figured this was one of the Armani lines - I know that there are various lines of Armani clothing, but I'm not really familiar with the names. Now, I'm looking at the pants and noticing that the name "Armani" does not actually appear anywhere on these pants. So, are these just cheap knockoffs? Or a reputable brand that happens to share a name with Mr. Armani? Or something in between? Or is there a line of Armani that features this labelling? The pants were $60 (heavily discounted), so even if they're not Armani they may be an OK purchase - they seem nicer than J Crew, for instance, at about the same price. Should I take them back or keep them?
You bought those at 83 Bloor, didn't you? I took a look at them and they seemed pretty nicely made to me so I wouldn't worry that they're not Armani. And I'd cuff.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
I don't like cuffs on cords, but the cords I wear (slim-fit Incos and 5-pocket ones) aren't generally amenable to cuffs. If I had any full-cut cords, I would probably cuff them.

tpap

Reaction score
I find cuffs on cords too old fashioned. Also, they are not really needed since the fabric is heavy enough. If you insist, they may look good if the bottoms are narrow.

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
For me it depends on the thickness and weight of the fabric.

I agree. For lightweight cords, you need cuffs to add some weight and improve the drape. For heavier, stiffer cords, I don't cuff.

JordanH.

Reaction score
I have but one pair of brown cords- and they're cuffed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads