• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cufflinks or not?

smogi

Reaction score
Hey new to this forum. Decided to register as my frantic googling on style advice usually pointed me here anyway. So please excuse me for introducing myself with a question, especially if it has already been asked (quick search didn't reveal this though). Anyway, I have an interview in two days for a legal traineeship, I have a very nice white shirt but it requires cufflinks (which I have) and I feel a bit daft wearing them. I just feel it is a bit gauche and unnecessary. What is the general opinion people?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
French/Double cuffs are great.
Go with simple tasteful links or silk knot.
Is fine with interviews.

And chicks dig it.

smogi

Reaction score
Are silk knots an acceptable alternative then? I thought they were only meant to be used for storing the shirt.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not wear french cuffs for an interview at a junior level. I would recommend going with barrel cuffs. And this topic has indeed been discussed before, and several of the questions were by young lawyers even.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say Lego links... For that "I have to wear a tie" look.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would click the link that Metlin posted as it is extremely helpful. I think the general consensus is to avoid cufflinks for interviews, since it can rarely offer and advantage but might be offensive to some.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Knots are fine and in my view. Simple, elegant and very affordable. But come to think of it, seeing as you are concerned with how you might be perceived, maybe you should forgo the silk knots and go with simple cufflinks or even go with another nice shirt you have with barrel cuffs.

Since it's an interview, it's more important that you are comfortable in the style of clothes you're in and not worry about whether it looks too tacky or whether it's too pretentious looking because it'll show through at the interview and you might end up fiddling around with your links and looking generally nervous.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
I say Lego links... For that "I have to wear a tie" look.
legocufflinks.jpg

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sportin_life
I would click the link that Metlin posted as it is extremely helpful. I think the general consensus is to avoid cufflinks for interviews, since it can rarely offer and advantage but might be offensive to some.

Hmm maybe it depends on where you are then. Over here no one really bats an eye. In fact double cuffs are getting time in casual wear. Pocket squares though, is something entirely different.

smogi

Reaction score
Cheers people, all very helpful. The link made for good advice as well. I guess I'll just have to go into town and look at another plain white one. I have a very nice striped blue one, but it is a bit too dark and and busy to go with a suit (perfect on its own though).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads