• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cufflinks - leave in or take out?

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am new to SF and dress shirts that are not off the rack at polo and brooks brothers, so this may be a dumb question. When you hang your french cuff shirts after wearing / washing, should you leave your cufflinks in? Especially when they come back from the dry cleaners and the french cuff isn't folded... it it better to put something in there to help the cuff take shape or should I just dump all of them into my new cufflink box?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Always take them out when the shirt is not being worn.

I believe you, and I did take them out, but I am wondering about your rationale?

- JSB

jobro

Reaction score
Do you do up the laces on your shoes when you're not wearing them? The buttons on your shirt? Leave the belt in your trousers?

Iron the cuff flat, do not iron a fold into the cuff.

Roger Everett

Reaction score
I don't leave cufflinks per say in, but do have a bunch of the little plasti buttons that came with french cuffed shirts and tux shirts, that I put. That way I can have them prefolded and hold their shape.

jobro

Reaction score
Your cuffs will become flat and lifeless if you have them 'prefolded'. The only time your french cuffs should be folded is when they are being worn. Do you think they would just sew them in place if there was a need to 'prefold'.

Reaction score
Fair enough - what is your take on starching shirts made with egyptian cotton... or the various high thread count offerings from the different tailors?

jobro

Reaction score
Starch will lower the lifespan of the shirt. Do it if its your thing. I prefer my shirts w/o starch.

Carlisle Blues

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jobro
Do you do up the laces on your shoes when you're not wearing them? The buttons on your shirt?
Yep shoe tree then lace. Top Button on a hanger. Take the cuff links out...I wash and press my own shirts the cuff links would put a crimp in my style.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They should be removed at the end of the day when you take the shirt off.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JermynStreetBoy
Fair enough - what is your take on starching shirts made with egyptian cotton... or the various high thread count offerings from the different tailors?

Do Not Starch.

6up

Reaction score
I'd take them out before wash/laundrying. My machines eat enough of my socks, cant imagine what it would do with cufflinks!

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take them out. My main justification for this has less to do with creasing or some sort of accepted practice, and more to do with the fact that I have a variety of CLs and a number of FC shirts, so I rotate things around.

In addition to that, I do think the extra weight might cause the cuff or even button hole to hang oddly in the closet and become deformed.

Originally Posted by 6up
I'd take them out before wash/laundrying. My machines eat enough of my socks, cant imagine what it would do with cufflinks!

facepalm.gif

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jobro
Your cuffs will become flat and lifeless if you have them 'prefolded'. The only time your french cuffs should be folded is when they are being worn. Do you think they would just sew them in place if there was a need to 'prefold'.

jobro I may have to add you to my favorite poster list.
fistbump.gif

Rolex Luthor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JermynStreetBoy
or should I just dump all of them into my new cufflink box?

Not only would I not leave the cufflinks in, I also wouldn't just dump them into a box. Call me OCD, but I would carefully store them so that they don't get dinged up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads