1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cufflinks - leave in or take out?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JermynStreetBoy, May 24, 2011.

1. JermynStreetBoy

JermynStreetBoy Member

Hey all,

I am new to SF and dress shirts that are not off the rack at polo and brooks brothers, so this may be a dumb question. When you hang your french cuff shirts after wearing / washing, should you leave your cufflinks in? Especially when they come back from the dry cleaners and the french cuff isn't folded... it it better to put something in there to help the cuff take shape or should I just dump all of them into my new cufflink box?

Thanks.

2. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Always take them out when the shirt is not being worn.

3. JermynStreetBoy

JermynStreetBoy Member

Always take them out when the shirt is not being worn.

I believe you, and I did take them out, but I am wondering about your rationale?

- JSB

4. jobro

jobro Senior member

Do you do up the laces on your shoes when you're not wearing them? The buttons on your shirt? Leave the belt in your trousers?

Iron the cuff flat, do not iron a fold into the cuff.

5. Roger Everett

Roger Everett Senior member

I don't leave cufflinks per say in, but do have a bunch of the little plasti buttons that came with french cuffed shirts and tux shirts, that I put. That way I can have them prefolded and hold their shape.

6. jobro

jobro Senior member

Your cuffs will become flat and lifeless if you have them 'prefolded'. The only time your french cuffs should be folded is when they are being worn. Do you think they would just sew them in place if there was a need to 'prefold'.

7. JermynStreetBoy

JermynStreetBoy Member

Fair enough - what is your take on starching shirts made with egyptian cotton... or the various high thread count offerings from the different tailors?

8. jobro

jobro Senior member

Starch will lower the lifespan of the shirt. Do it if its your thing. I prefer my shirts w/o starch.

9. Carlisle Blues

Carlisle Blues Senior member

Do you do up the laces on your shoes when you're not wearing them? The buttons on your shirt?
    Yep shoe tree then lace. Top Button on a hanger. Take the cuff links out...I wash and press my own shirts the cuff links would put a crimp in my style.

10. GBR

GBR Senior member

They should be removed at the end of the day when you take the shirt off.

11. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Fair enough - what is your take on starching shirts made with egyptian cotton... or the various high thread count offerings from the different tailors?

Do Not Starch.

12. 6up

6up Senior member

I'd take them out before wash/laundrying. My machines eat enough of my socks, cant imagine what it would do with cufflinks!

13. unjung

unjung Senior member

Take them out. My main justification for this has less to do with creasing or some sort of accepted practice, and more to do with the fact that I have a variety of CLs and a number of FC shirts, so I rotate things around.

In addition to that, I do think the extra weight might cause the cuff or even button hole to hang oddly in the closet and become deformed.

I'd take them out before wash/laundrying. My machines eat enough of my socks, cant imagine what it would do with cufflinks!

[​IMG]

14. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

Your cuffs will become flat and lifeless if you have them 'prefolded'. The only time your french cuffs should be folded is when they are being worn. Do you think they would just sew them in place if there was a need to 'prefold'.

jobro I may have to add you to my favorite poster list. [​IMG]

15. Rolex Luthor

Rolex Luthor Senior member

or should I just dump all of them into my new cufflink box?

Not only would I not leave the cufflinks in, I also wouldn't just dump them into a box. Call me OCD, but I would carefully store them so that they don't get dinged up.

16. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

Definitely take the cuff links out. Unless you ever only plan to use that specific cuff link with that specific shirt.

Though, AFAIK there is no negative consequence if you put them on a hanged shirt.

17. jobro

jobro Senior member

jobro I may have to add you to my favorite poster list. [​IMG]
    Go right on ahead, I would be honored.

18. JermynStreetBoy

JermynStreetBoy Member

Thanks for everything guys - OP here - I went ahead and took them out. This forum is badass.

19. Icehawk

Icehawk Senior member

Thanks for everything guys - OP here - I went ahead and took them out. This forum is badass.

Indeed, I just learned that I shouldn't be ironing my FC folded. Oops.

20. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Indeed, I just learned that I shouldn't be ironing my FC folded. Oops.
    That's right, never do this.