• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cufflinks Etiquette

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What colors and patterns are formal? What do you guys wear to events like concerts and wedding? How about black tie events?

sm332

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
What colors and patterns are formal? What do you guys wear to events like concerts and wedding? How about black tie events?

I like to think this is the one place where men can be a lil creative. I suppose for blacktie one should go with something matching your button studs.

But else, I wear everything from silver knots to colorful enamel. I cant go too crazy since my work environment is fairly conservative.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think wearing cufflinks with a watch is gauche. One or the other, please...

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse

ffffuuuu.gif

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
I think its more about material. To someones wedding I'd wear some made of silver, to my own I'd like to wear some with rubies or made from marine ivory. I normally wear only those 'silk knots' in various colours (my preferred ones are bright blues, greens (or a combi of them) and occasional reds). I don't like gadgets like watches or compasses for cufflinks but extravagances like golden ones with inlaid cloisonnÃ
00a9.png
featuring your personal sigil or coat of arms are fun and 'ok' by me.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love cloisonne links and enamel in general but, alas, I have no family coat of arms.

tcnjbanker123

Reaction score
I don't believe that links need to be an exact match for studs with black tie but should be of the same metal and have a general resemblance. Simpler is better with formal clothes imho

RoyalPaJamas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
I love cloisonne links and enamel in general but, alas, I have no family coat of arms.

There's actually no such thing as a "family" coat of arms. They are indicative of an individual.

Another hobby of mine. Check out http://assumearms.com/Default.aspx if you're interested.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse

319047856_dbf1ef3e92.jpg

RoyalPaJamas

Reaction score
^+1

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Not sure if I would wear any cufflinks to a concert... unless its the symphony or something.. but U2?

For a U2 concert one should wear a xtian cross cuff links coupled with pursed lips and a barely concealed superior air of one who occupies the moral high ground.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would a guy wear cufflinks with a watch? I mean, I want to look at you, not **** you. You, on the other hand, I'm not so sure about. Don't forget the pinky ring and sparkly suit with that combo, Mr. Manilow.

Looks like we made it
Left each other on the way
To another love
Oh babe, we made it
Or I thought so 'til today
Until you were there
Everywhere
And all I could taste was love
The way we made it...

Oh Mandy
Well you came and you gave without taking
But I sent you away
Oh Mandy
Well you kissed me and stopped me from shaking
And I need you today
Oh Mandy

DJosef

Reaction score
What about gold cufflinks? I just got some double-sided ones in 14kt that belonged to my gradfather. They are shaped and sized like silk knot links, and are borderline tasteful in my opinion. :)
I wonder though whether gold is too flashy. I can kind of imagine myself wearing them with black tie, but I'm really squeamish about pairing them with a business suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads