1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

cufflink storage

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by arvi, Dec 23, 2004.

1. arvi

arvi Senior member

i recently began bidding and purchasing vintage cufflinks on ebay..i seem to be attracted mostly to enamel types(double-sided and snap type)..it's so easy to become addicted to these little beauties..thankfully i have some french cuff shirts so i can wear them..however i find myself starting to accumualte more of them than i have the opportunity to wear..i'm now looking for some kind of box(preferably with glass top for viewing) to store/display them in..any suggestions? so far i've found these http://www.cufflinks.com/micucoca.html http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ViewItem&rd=1&item=4951934581&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

2. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

What I want to see are some links (pardon the pun) to some of the cufflinks you won. (Wise choice on double sided and snap.) I've generally been more attracted to sterling links, which you can get for a steal on ebay, too. Cuffthis keeps telling me I need some enamel links (and I do, of course [​IMG] ), but they don't have quite the same appeal to me. I do need to try some white gold. Getting back to cases, I suppose ernest would point out that you don't want your links to roll about and scratch each other. Finding a good case is difficult. I'm going to "need" one before long, too.

3. arvi

arvi Senior member

sorry i don't know how to post links..just search ebay for "enamel cufflinks" or "vintage enamel cufflinks"..that's what i do

4. ernest

ernest Senior member

(AlanC @ 23 Dec. 2004, 08:57) What I want to see are some links (pardon the pun) to some of the cufflinks you won. (Wise choice on double sided and snap.)
    sorry i don't know how to post links..just search ebay for "enamel cufflinks" or "vintage enamel cufflinks"..that's what i do
    My conversation with cufflinks.com, I am still waiting for a reply... My last answer = I picked up the small model 1 month ago and I can say that the fabrics is not "havy velvet" and not even gunuine velvet. How can you explain this? Cufflink's reply = It is the same lining, but both are sold out. They will be back in stock in January. Thanks Ravi Cufflinks.com No reply, so I send the same message back 2 weeks later My original message = > > Sent: Monday, November 29, 2004 5:55 PM > > Subject: Question about boxes > > Hello, > > > > > > Are these 2 boxes the same (same leather, velvet) in different sizes ? > > > > Why is it written "heavy velvet" about the second and nothing about the > > first? > > > > > > Regards [​IMG]

5. ferry1950

ferry1950 Well-Known Member

I also bid on ebay for silver cufflinks.
    Most go for low $20s plus s/h.
    I have bought over 100 in the last 18 months with only one bad transaction from a scam artist in France.
    As a result of adding these links to the couple hundred I already had, my wife came up with a very innovative storge system.
    Last Xmas she bought me a chinese siver breakfront , about 4 feet tall.
    It has six drawers, lined in velet and partioned with three divisions. I can keep everything in it, seperated by design.
    I great addtion to keeping everything together.

6. arvi

arvi Senior member

ok earnest..i wasn't leaning towards cufflink.com leather box anyway..i guess you're not too happy with them.. i prefer wood and have seen some nice ones on this site http://www.prestige-watches.co.uk/

7. j

j Senior member

I have someone who is interested in testing the market for custom wood cufflink, watch, and jewelry display / storage boxes. I am trying to get him to get some pics of his projects up on the net so people can get an idea of what he's capable of. The workmanship and detail is just insane; he is picky about things that 99% of people would never notice or care about (sound familiar?). These would be full custom, so they would be above the price range of the ones posted so far. If anyone is interested, reply here, or PM me about it. This is not what he normally works on so the lead time might be a while, but you would be able to specify everything about the box, match your existing cabinetry, or whatever.

8. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Damn you. Damn to you to hell. I have enough addictions already and now you introduce enamel cufflinks into the mix. [​IMG] I just started buying cuff links last month...I had hoped it wouldn't be the start of a new regular expense but I'm in too deep now to stop. Sigh. At any rate, I've been looking for a storage means myself but haven't been satisfied with anything I've found to date.

9. ernest

ernest Senior member

Box is correct for the price, but their velvet is no velvet and they do not answer anymore... I do not like yours boxes because cufflinks are free (will touch each other) or under an elastic (not practical) and a white lining (not practical & not the best to offset the links)

10. arvi

arvi Senior member

so where can i find a wood box with glass top ernest? right now i only have about 20 pair

11. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ 23 Dec. 2004, 12:44) Box is correct for the price, but their velvet is no velvet and they do not answer anymore... I do not like yours boxes because cufflinks are free (will touch each other) or under an elastic (not practical) and a white lining (not practical & not the best to offset the links)
    so where can i find a wood box with glass top ernest? Â right now i only have about 20 pair
    I do not know. I had many difficulties to find my box.

12. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

I keep a lot of my cufflinks in a map chest. These have 8-10 real low height drawers that are perfect for storing cufflinks. They can usually be found in most antique stores for $200 - $300. You can easily store 300 pairs in these, which is plenty for most people.

13. acole

acole Senior member

So few???

14. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

[​IMG]

I was thinking of getting a box similar to this that way I can display my collection.

15. drljva

drljva Senior member

I have this box and I've been quite happy with it -- don't know if cufflinks.com still sells it, though...