1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cufflink etiquette

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stuarts8, Jan 8, 2004.

1. stuarts8

stuarts8 Senior Member

Hi There from New Zealand. I am a keen wearer of cufflinks and French cuff shirts.
    However there are days when it is hot and sticky when it is difficult to keep my French cuff shirtsleeves down and the cufflinks fastened.
    Invariably I find myself unfastening the cufflinks ,folding the links into the cuff and folding the cuffs back for comfort leaving the links in the cuff.
    I would be keen to know forum members views if this is OK and what other forum members do in this situation or should I remove the links from the cuff. (I Much prefer to keep them on).
    Cheers

Stuart
    Auckland
    New Zealand

2. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Stylish Dinosaur

I do the same thing. No sense removing the links IMHO. I'm likely to lose them if I take them out. Plus, if you decide to roll your sleeves back down--there they are.

3. DandySF

DandySF Senior Member

I can't help but think it would be entirely easier and more comfortable to wear button cuffs on those days when it's unpleasantly hot. I question the decision to wear French cuffs if they end up being rolled into a bunch on your forearm. Save the double cuffs for those days when you're unlikely to be forced to escape them. It's my intent for this bit of advice to be practical rather than tart.

4. stuarts8

stuarts8 Senior Member

I am glad someone shares my view to retain the cufflinks in the cuff.I do not own any button cuff shirts and do not like them ,so wearing them is not an option.
    I only own French cuff shirts. I agree with montecristo 4.
    They can be easily lost if you remove the links.
    Much easier to fold them into the cuff and they sit quite snugly and as when you roll the sleeves down you can refasten them.

5. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Stylish Dinosaur

In hot weather, I really don't think it makes much difference whether you're rolling up a barrel cuff or a double cuff (my English shirtmaker gets very offended whenI call these French cuffs).

To be sure, there is a bit more material with a double cuff, but not an enormously huge amount. Not only that, since it's pretty rare to see rolled up doublecuffs, rolling them back is a pretty unique look.

Typically, when I do a "double cuff rollback", I am wearing the shirt casually to begin with. No tie, and with a suitably casual set of links, like a pair of silk knots for instance. Typically, I just fold over the cuff twice, which takes it about 2/3 of the way up my forearm. I have a couple of Thomas Pink multistripe slim fit shirts that look great like this. Works with jeans, khakis, or worsted wool pants.

I am far less likely to do a double cuff rollback if I am in the office in a dark suit, wearing a white shirt and tie, with my solid gold Tiffany knot links.

M#4

6. stuarts8

stuarts8 Senior Member

Like M#4, I prefer the Double Cuff Roll Back as it has that unique look and I think pretty smooth. With the links left in even more so.
    M#4, do you have other casual links apart from silk Knots?
    to use with this casual wear?I take it that you do wear these with Jeans.
    I actually think French cuff shirts look pretty good with Jeans
    and Cords.
    It is becoming quite fashionable here in Kiwiland to wear them like that.
    Surely there may be times when you are in your suit and it may be neccessary to do a double cuff rollback?
    I was at a wedding reception once , and the heat was overbearing . I was of course in my suit. and I was boiling but I had no choice but to do a double cuff rollback(llinks left in of course.) as the heat was dreadful .
    Cheers
    Stuart