• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cufflink Etiquette 2005

stuarts8

Reaction score
Happy new Year to all. I trust you all had an enjoyable Festive Season.

Last Year at this time I posted the following:
I am a keen wearer of cufflinks and French cuff shirts.
However there are days when it is hot and sticky when it is difficult to keep my French cuff shirtsleeves down and the cufflinks fastened.
Invariably I find myself unfastening the cufflinks ,folding the links into the cuff and folding the cuffs back for comfort leaving the links in the cuff.
I would be keen to know forum members views if this is OK and what other forum members do in this situation or should I remove the links from the cuff. (I Much prefer to keep them on).

I would be interested to know in 2005 , the views of the newer members of this forum if some of our newer members do the same as I do or remove the links.I personally find it easier later on to simply roll the sleeves down and do the Links up.
I`d be interested in your views.
Cheers
Stuarts8

cuffthis

Reaction score
I leave them in, although I rarely roll up my sleeves. To me, that is the sartorial equivalent of wearing your tie loose around your neck.

johnw86

Reaction score
When I feel the need to roll up my sleeves (and am wearing cufflinks), I take the links from the cuff and put them into my pocket. (Not that there's anything wrong with leaving them in...)
smile.gif

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
It depends on the link...

If is a pair that I am confident will stay in while left in the cuff and rolled up, I do that...

If it is a pair that I am afraid might fall out due to jostling while my sleeves are rolled up, I take them out and put them in my pocket.

I don't think it really makes much difference, by the time you've rolled up your sleeves nobody is looking at your links. I just don't want to lose a pair.

Bradford

stuarts8

Reaction score
Thanks for your posts.
Replies:cuffthis: What about on a hot day, Do you leave the sleeves down then?
It just makes it a bit more comfortable Thats all.

Johnw86: I leave mine in because its easier when you want to roll the sleeves down later and you only have to do the links up.

Bradford: I agree with what you say with regard to it depending on the Link. If It is a pair I may lose then I will remove them but do prefer where possible to keep the links in the cuff when the sleeves are up.

I Have only lost links once and that was when the Links were done up and one of the links fell out.
I`d be interested in anyone else`s comments .
Cheers

Stuarts8

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads