• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuffing Pants (that don't have enough fabric) Help

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a pair of RL Polo pants made by Corneliani that are just gorgeous. They are slim fitting, flat front, pearl grey wool/cash blend and have a rather small hem circumference. I took them to my tailor a couple of weeks ago and requested no break and so they hit at about the top of the shoe. They hemmed just as I asked. But after wearing them around the house recently, I've begun to wish I would have had them cuffed. The problem is that the fabric doesn't have enough weight I fear so they don't fall correctly.

I am starting to think that a nice fat cuff would have been the wise choice. Chorse and some other guys wear the look with aplomb quite regularly in the WAYWN thread. My question is, with about 2" of fabric left...can I get these cuffed without them turning into 'highwaters' ? I thought I read about a tailor's trick to cuffing pants that didn't have the req'd leftover material....

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe there is a way to do it, however you better have a lot of faith in your tailor or a buyer ready who is a couple inches shorter than you...at least inseamwise.

It would require the tailor to cut off the bottom few inches of the pants, add a couple inches of new material and then reattach the cut off portion of the pants. He would have to do this in such proportions that when he folded them, to make the cuffs, the new material and the hems involved in attaching it, formed the folded under part of the cuff. Clear as mud? If the tailor seems confused when you ask about this, he is not the one you want to attempt it.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
A tailor with reasonable skill can install false cuffs. A lip of fabric is used to create the appearance of cuffs.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Yah, you put a ribbon of material inside the bottom hem to add weight. Many pants come with this material in the back pocket. I imagine any hefty material, that's not too thick, can do the trick.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. In fact, these pants came with that very ribbon you speak of. It is beige in color and I had no idea what it was for. I will take it to my tailor this weekend to have them put it in.

Thanks again! I will also inquire about false cuffs to see what they have to say.

16520Man

Reaction score
I think my tailor calls these "French cuffs"; I just watched him do a pair this week. He did use that ribbon to add weight; he never uses it otherwise.

mhdena

Reaction score
Cuffs look better with pleated pants, you should've left some break in them also.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fabric band/strip you are refering to is usualy added to a pair of pants to reduce wear ... It is usualy not that heavy, but is added so that if you lay the pants flat they will be visible with about 1-2mm. Il post a pic of some of my pants later today ...

False cufs is not a bad idea, it also eliminates the possible lint deposit in regular cufs ... If your are not pedantic in your wear and maintenance, and brush all garments after wear. I for one am not ...

I also prefer my pants to break at the front, where as the finnis "a fleur" just on top of the soles in the back

Speed

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
speedster.8,

i'd love to see a pic.

as far as the break/no break thing, while i appreciate the comments, that is more of an aesthetic preference. To each his own, imo. I have plenty of fabric to let them down in the future should I choose to have more break at the hem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads