• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuffed vs uncuffed - that is the question

mikeco

Reaction score
I just bought several new suits...I've always worn my suit trousers cuffed but just thought I'd pose the question to see what you all have to say on the issue. Thanks.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You'll hear varying opinions round here. In general, I cuff pleated plants and leave flat-fronts uncuffed. It seems more consistent with the "clean" lines of the flat fronts.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What he said.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, no cuff. I think a cuff makes a man my height, look shorter. I prefer either a flat front, or just one pleat . . . no cuff looks sleek. I never cuff evening trousers.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, if you are on the fence then cuff em, cuz you can always undo it.

However, I just dont think cuffs look good on people 29 on down. You want to make yourself look more sleek and show off the body as a whole instead of the shoes. Then, as stuff starts to sag, you'll want to draw attention to the cuff links and shoes.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Cuff everything. You won't regret it. Cuffs show off your shoes better. Especially lighter weight fabrics, you need some heft down there. If you cuff it and regret it, you can undo it. If you leave them uncuffed and regret it, there is nothing you can do.

Ed

What he said.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cuff it all IMHO; although if you're worried about how they pair with your height, then that's certainly an issue to exempt them from cuffing.

I was at our local Polo store earlier this summer, and a middle-aged guy was buying a seersucker suit, and the salesman (salesboy is more like it, the kid couldn't have been more than 20) told him that "traditionally, flat-front suit pants do not take cuffs".
plain.gif

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm 51, and five foot seven. For the most part, my trousers are flat front, or with a single pleat . . . cuffs do not look right, on them. Tuxedo trousers, too . . . I don't like with cuffs. Not, ever.

Carey

Reaction score
If the trousers are light weight and narrow, then I would not cuff them. If the fit is more traditional and you are taller than 5' 7", then shoose the cuff.

With odd trousers that are flat front, my decision to not cuff falls with how narrow the leg feels. I recently purchased a pair of E. Zegna hairline striped trousers in a very light weight tropical wool and I chose not to cuff. I have a solid charcoal pair that are flat front and they look better with a cuff.

I am 6' 1" and my torso is shorter in proportion to my legs, so my legs look very long. When I purchase a regular rise trouser and if they ride lower than normal for me, then I don't choose a cuff.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never gone cuffed in my entire life and I don't imagine I ever will.

Carey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
I have never gone cuffed in my entire life and I don't imagine I ever will.
Why?

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was buying nice wool trousers for use with sports coats for this autumn and didn't noticed that the blue one had one pleat...

i normally use flat fronts... I was thinking in return it and change it for a flat front, but I could maybe cuff them and use them with sports coats anyway...

Do you think is OK to cuff odd trousers ?

my only cuffed ones are 2 DB old style suits one has double pleats charcoal chalkstripe and the other is a blue windowpane one pleat...

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector

However, I just dont think cuffs look good on people 29 on down. Then, as stuff starts to sag, you'll want to draw attention to the cuff links and shoes.

crackup[1].gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cuffs (a big 1 3/4" mama) on all trousers that skew even remotley to the dressy side, save, of course, formal trousers.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads