Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cuffed vs uncuffed - that is the question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mikeco, Sep 21, 2006.

1. mikeco

mikeco New Member

I just bought several new suits...I've always worn my suit trousers cuffed but just thought I'd pose the question to see what you all have to say on the issue. Thanks.

2. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

You'll hear varying opinions round here. In general, I cuff pleated plants and leave flat-fronts uncuffed. It seems more consistent with the "clean" lines of the flat fronts.

3. LARon

LARon Senior member

What he said.

4. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Cuff everything. You won't regret it. Cuffs show off your shoes better. Especially lighter weight fabrics, you need some heft down there. If you cuff it and regret it, you can undo it. If you leave them uncuffed and regret it, there is nothing you can do.

Ed

5. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

For me, no cuff. I think a cuff makes a man my height, look shorter. I prefer either a flat front, or just one pleat . . . no cuff looks sleek. I never cuff evening trousers.

6. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I agree, if you are on the fence then cuff em, cuz you can always undo it.

However, I just dont think cuffs look good on people 29 on down. You want to make yourself look more sleek and show off the body as a whole instead of the shoes. Then, as stuff starts to sag, you'll want to draw attention to the cuff links and shoes.

7. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

Cuff everything. You won't regret it. Cuffs show off your shoes better. Especially lighter weight fabrics, you need some heft down there. If you cuff it and regret it, you can undo it. If you leave them uncuffed and regret it, there is nothing you can do.

Ed

What he said.

8. TCN

TCN Senior member

Cuff it all IMHO; although if you're worried about how they pair with your height, then that's certainly an issue to exempt them from cuffing.

I was at our local Polo store earlier this summer, and a middle-aged guy was buying a seersucker suit, and the salesman (salesboy is more like it, the kid couldn't have been more than 20) told him that "traditionally, flat-front suit pants do not take cuffs". [​IMG]

9. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Well, I'm 51, and five foot seven. For the most part, my trousers are flat front, or with a single pleat . . . cuffs do not look right, on them. Tuxedo trousers, too . . . I don't like with cuffs. Not, ever.

10. Carey

Carey Senior member

If the trousers are light weight and narrow, then I would not cuff them. If the fit is more traditional and you are taller than 5' 7", then shoose the cuff.

With odd trousers that are flat front, my decision to not cuff falls with how narrow the leg feels. I recently purchased a pair of E. Zegna hairline striped trousers in a very light weight tropical wool and I chose not to cuff. I have a solid charcoal pair that are flat front and they look better with a cuff.

I am 6' 1" and my torso is shorter in proportion to my legs, so my legs look very long. When I purchase a regular rise trouser and if they ride lower than normal for me, then I don't choose a cuff.

11. benecios

benecios Senior member

I have never gone cuffed in my entire life and I don't imagine I ever will.

12. Carey

Carey Senior member

I have never gone cuffed in my entire life and I don't imagine I ever will.
    Why?

13. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

I was buying nice wool trousers for use with sports coats for this autumn and didn't noticed that the blue one had one pleat...

i normally use flat fronts... I was thinking in return it and change it for a flat front, but I could maybe cuff them and use them with sports coats anyway...

Do you think is OK to cuff odd trousers ?

my only cuffed ones are 2 DB old style suits one has double pleats charcoal chalkstripe and the other is a blue windowpane one pleat...

14. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

However, I just dont think cuffs look good on people 29 on down. Then, as stuff starts to sag, you'll want to draw attention to the cuff links and shoes.

[​IMG]

15. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Cuffs (a big 1 3/4" mama) on all trousers that skew even remotley to the dressy side, save, of course, formal trousers.[​IMG]